Michael Turner - Bills or Titans?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Turner - Bills or Titans?

I know we have a Turner thread already but it is a speculation thread. This one has actual information. It looks like it is down to a 2 team race for Turner between the Bills and Titans because all reports indicate that the Packers don't have interest in him. It seems like a deal could go down by the weekend.

Bills
    Restricted free agent Michael Turner will visit Buffalo on Wednesday.
    Buffalo would seem an even better fit for Turner than the Titans, who already have a back with similar skills in LenDale White. If the Bills get Turner under contract, they could use their first-round pick on a defender.
    Source: Nashville City Paper

Titans
    POSTED 8:38 p.m. EDT, April 3, 2007 TITANS MAKING PROGRESS WITH TURNER? Terry McCormick of the Nashville City Paper reports that the Tennessee Titans are in negotiations with Chargers running back Michael Turner. Though nothing is imminent, enough progress has been made to prompt the Titans to postpone the scheduled visit of running back Corey Dillon to next week. Turner is a restricted free agent, tendered at the highest possible level. If the Titans sign him to an offer sheet and the Chargers do not match it, the Chargers would get Tennessee's first-round pick and third-round pick in the April 28 draft. Alternatively, the Titans could work out a trade with the Chargers while working out a long-term contract with Turner.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

The Tennessee Titans have entered preliminary negotiations with restricted free agent running back Michael Turner and have discussed compensation with the San Diego Chargers.

Turner, tendered at a first and third-round compensation level, visited Nashville on Monday. Turner took a physical, met Titans coaches and watched film on the visit.

“We have had some discussions with his agent about a contract, and we have discussed with the Chargers what they would consider to be proper compensation,” Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said. “We’ve had discussions, but nothing is imminent.”

Asked if progress had been made, Reinfeldt replied, “I think anytime you’re talking, that’s a sign of progress. It’s when the talking stops that you don’t have progress.”

Cook declined to talk about any specifics of his negotiations with the Titans, but added that Tennessee will have some competition as it pursues the backup to LaDainian Tomlinson.

“He has a visit scheduled to Buffalo [today],” Cook said of Turner, who rushed for 502 yards a year ago.
    http://nashvillecitypaper.com/index....&news_id=55481

• RB Corey Dillon has told friend and former Patriots teammate, RB Kevin Faulk that he is retired and enjoying spending time with his family. Recent reports have the Titans searching for RBs and showing interest if Dillon is available to them. They are not convinced that RB LenDale White has the dedication and work ethic to be a featured star.

http://www.gridironnation.com/

NFL | Dillon may retire
    Tue, 3 Apr 2007 16:40:27 -0700

The NFL Network reports free-agent RB Corey Dillon (Patriots) will retire if he doesn't find the "right situation".

www.kffl.com

Titans | Dillon won't visit team Wednesday
    Tue, 3 Apr 2007 18:12:23 -0700

Jim Wyatt, of the Tennessean, reports Tennessee Titans general manager Mike Reinfeldt said free-agent RB Corey Dillon (Patriots) will not make his scheduled visit with the Titans Wednesday, April 4. Reinfeldt said the plan is for Dillon to visit the team later this week or early next week.

www.kffl.com

That guy said Turner and White are the same type of RB LOL.

Comment

Oh boy, a bid war.

Comment

neither, he's a UFA next year, and both teams cant stand to lose both a first and third rounder.

Comment

hmmm

Unless it's a trade, I don't see him going anywhere. He's great insurance for LT and I'm guessing the Chargers want someone they know back there if LT ever gets injured. They are serious contenders this year and I don't think they will want to trade away any of their more valuable backups.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
          Originally posted by Scott Wright
          Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by DChess View Post
            neither, he's a UFA next year, and both teams cant stand to lose both a first and third rounder.
            That is the tender placed on him, they wouldn't ask for that in a trade.....most likely.

Comment

The Bills have the higher pick so hopefuly them. Turner will be a good fit anywhere he goes though.

Comment

At first I was convinced he was going to stay in SD, because of the high tender and AJ's apparent desire to keep him in SD through the season. With all the recent news surrounding the trade possibilities though, I actually think a trade to Tennesee is more likely, as Buffalo is essentially guaranteed Lynch if they want, but Tennessee isn't guaranteed any "first-round" running back prospect, and would have to look elsewhere if they want an impact guy.

Honestly though, whether they keep him, or trade him to either team, I feel San Diego will have made a good decision. After the season it may be apparent one would have been the better decision, but I don't think they can go wrong in this spot.

Comment

Originally posted by 255979119 View Post
                  That is the tender placed on him, they wouldn't ask for that in a trade.....most likely.
                  yeah this is true, but even if they did work a deal it would defitnaly consist of giving up some picks, and the titans and bills cant afford that.

Comment

It is in the Chargers' best interest to trade him ASAP unless they don't mind having him as a backup again and losing him to free agency next year. His value won't be greater than it is now before the draft.

If the best offer is a 2nd, I think they'd take it. It won't be though. I think the trade will involve switching 1sts and maybe another pick. The Bills have an earlier pick than the Titans and two 2nd's - I think he's a Bill by the draft myself.

Comment

If the Bills just swap 1st rounder I could live with it.
                      When I eat, it is the food that is scared.

Comment

If I'm the Titans, I trade down with a team with a late first rounder like the Bears or Saints. Picking up at least a 3rd in the deal and probably more ( Ex. future 2nd) Then sign Turner. It would be the same as getting Turner and a future second for their first rounder. Which isn't a bad trade.

Comment

Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
                          If I'm the Titans, I trade down with a team with a late first rounder like the Bears or Saints. Picking up at least a 3rd in the deal and probably more ( Ex. future 2nd) Then sign Turner. It would be the same as getting Turner and a future second for their first rounder. Which isn't a bad trade.
                          I could be wrong but to sign any type of tendered player(i.e franchise, RFA) you have to give your pick to that team. In your scenario, a trade down, the team would no longer be eligible to sign him because the pick they trade for in the first round is no longer their pick.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzo1105 View Post
                            I could be wrong but to sign any type of tendered player(i.e franchise, RFA) you have to give your pick to that team. In your scenario, a trade down, the team would no longer be eligible to sign him because the pick they trade for in the first round is no longer their pick.

Really? So when it's "Two First Round Picks" for a franchise player, it has to be YOUR two first rounders?

Comment

Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
                              Really? So when it's "Two First Round Picks" for a franchise player, it has to be YOUR two first rounders?
                              Yes.

BTW is anyone really going to be surprised if AJ Smith pulls off a first for a backup RB?

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information