Books all NFL Fans should read

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Books all NFL Fans should read

Next Man Up: Written on the Baltimore Ravens during the 2004 season, provides good insight into the dynamics of a team, why and how decisions are made and how coaching staff, players and the scouts react towards life in the NFL.

Not quite as in depth as it could've been had it been written by someone writing for a target audience of already knowledgeable football fans.

Its interesting to read, now, after seeing the changes that the Ravens have gone through recently, what with Kyle Boller and the coaching issues.

All Balls: Written by an Australian, Colin Scotts who played Defensive end for the Cardinals and Tight End for the Oilers. Its great to read something about the NFL and its culture from outsider eyes so to speak. People outside the US will probably appreciate the book more. Good though to read about the history of the sport in college and the pros and how its changed over the years.

The Draft: One of the best books written about football ever. Extremely good analysis on the scouting process and why certain players can be picked over others. It also has information on Agents, prospects and how they're picked. Written in 2005, so you'll read about mike williams, williamson, thomas davis and those guys who're either busts or are blooming now. Interesting to see how touted they were then.

Bloody Sunday: Written about the coaches. Its more anecdotal and a bit of a fluffy read towards coaches, but still informative in regards to the inner workings of the teams and how they do what they do.

I forgte what its called i think its called " THe Blind Side" or something, its by Michael Lewis, the same guy who wrote MoneyBall, it is a great book, and is a must read.

Comment

There was a great book on the salary cap and the financial evolution of the NFL and the position salaries. I forgot the name of it, but I heard about it on the radio once. Id be interested in reading that as well.

Comment

Nice thread. There is also a book by Tim Green called "The Dark Side of the Game". He basically talks about various topics that NFL players go through in a season and carrer that is very interesting. It's a bit dated but it's only about $5 in paperback and is well worth the read.

Comment

Originally posted by BPhilb View Post
          Nice thread. There is also a book by Tim Green called "The Dark Side of the Game". He basically talks about various topics that NFL players go through in a season and carrer that is very interesting. It's a bit dated but it's only about $5 in paperback and is well worth the read.
          Tim Green comes off like he wrote the book just to make money, and exploited his teammates for a buck. Maybe he wrote the book out of the goodness of his heart, but he seems like a douche.

Comment

I also recommend "America's Game." A good book on the history of the game and how it became, well, America's game. I think it was published in '04, so it's fairly recent.

by BoneKrusher
            <DG> how metal unseen
            <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I've heard Cane Rising is a good one, about the U. Also, Friday Night Lights is pretty much a must-read. It's being taught in highschool and college classrooms.

Comment

Originally posted by BPhilb View Post
                The Dark Side of the Game was a good read I liked hearing about what players go threw getting ready for the draft they get treated like a piece of meat pretty much.

Comment

The Junction Boys and Keyshawn Johnson's Book Just Give me the Damn Ball. Great book.

Comment

I've Read NEXT MAN UP, awesome book.

Right now I'm reading , The Education of a Coach.
                    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I would but I don't read :(

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Patriot Reign by Michael Holley is awesome it really takes you inside the Patriot's dynasty of the early 2000's.

Comment

Originally posted by princefielder28 View Post
                          I would but I don't read :(
                          Reading is underrated.

Comment

i hate to read. the only full book i have ever read was the Lion Witch adn the Wardrobe. Surprisingly my GPA is still 3.7. But anyways, I may read some of these.

ALL COMPLIMENTS TO: BANTX FOR THE SIG

XBOX360 Gamertag: GZA88

Comment

Yea Blind Side, the story of Michael Oher and the evolution of the left tackle, is a great book.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information