Dynamics of the NFL, the draft and coaches

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    The Patriots. When they won all their Super Bowls, Vrabel, Harrison, Colvin, Dillon all came from FA. You can just can't draft a Super Bowl team. I'll agree that the foundation has to come from the draft, but you have the supplement that with smart free agent signings.

The Colts drafted a super bowl team.

That is correct comahan
    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
    <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by draftguru151 View Post
      The Colts drafted a super bowl team.
      I would say they are the exception. The exactly weren't the epitomy of a Super Bowl team either. They basically won the Super Bowl with the best player in the NFL who they drafted 8 or 9 years ago now and the worst defense of any Super Bowl team ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
        I would say they are the exception. The exactly weren't the epitomy of a Super Bowl team either. They basically won the Super Bowl with the best player in the NFL who they drafted 8 or 9 years ago now and the worst defense of any Super Bowl team ever.

The worst super bowl winner is still a super bowl winner.

That is correct comahan
        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
        <3 dg

Comment

when i think about the importance of the draft i always think of how bad butch davis did with cleveland. his drafts were absolutley terrible, in fact only 2 players that were drafted by him are still on the browns roster. and look at how set back that made the franchise. i just like the idea of building a team through the draft

Sig by jkpigskin , thanks.

Comment

I'm a Ravens fan and we all know that you build through the draft and that is why in the team thread we have been at odds because of the recent trend of trading picks for veterans. But at times I guess sometimes you need to pull the trigger for a guy you think is the missing piece. I still don't understand why more teams don't follow the trend of the Ravens and hire their own staff of full time scouts.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
            On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
            Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Couldn't agree more. Championship teams are built through the draft. Plain and simple. FA is to fill holes. The draft is to aquire talent. Its all about the draft.

Why don't owners like JJ and Synder understand this?

Theyre billionaires who have had success in life doing things their way. Its hard for people with their egos to admit their way is wrong and do things someone elses way. Thats why they do what they do.
              The redskins arent very good at the draft so we would rather get proven players cause our scouts suck.
              RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                absolutely. i think denver is the exception (or one of) to your rule, blindsite. we don't tend to build through the draft all that well (i'm sure someone remembers the "if there was no FA or trading" thread) and when we do, we don't tend to keep those players over the long term nearly as often as many of the other teams on your list. further, for all his failures in the area, shanny hasn't ever been afraid to dive into the FA market.

i would say the second (and equally important) issue with the teams you listed is not building through the draft, but continuity at head coach. shanahan, for instance, does not have to worry about two seasons from now. if he gambles poorly and we go 3-13 next year, he'll still have a job, thus making him more able to take guys he wants or make trades that may be risky in the short term.
                Thinking back, I remembered if the same was true of the Broncos back in their Super Bowl winning days... absolutely it was. Obviously the key players everyone remembers, Elway, Davis, Sharpe, were home grown talents, but look at the complementary guys that Shanahan signed in free agency - Neil Smith, Tyrone Braxton, Tony Jones, Bill Romanowski, Ed McCaffrey, Keith Traylor, Mark Schlereth, Alfred Williams, just to name a few. Shanahan does such a good job at intergrating all these pieces into what he wants to do.
                aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Another thing I forgot to point out it that you then get starters who're as good as the big name free agents playing on their cheaper rookie contracts. You then have the luxury of signing the few pieces of the puzzle you need.

The Ravens, Pats and any other team who's used FA to get over the hump has only been able to do so because of their drafting ability.

Comment

Working...
                  X

Debug Information