• Show
Clear All

• Who is the Greatest SB Team Ever?

IMO and in many others the 1978 Pittsburgh Steelers is the
    Greatest EVER!

Proof:
    http://www.steelergridiron.com/history/greatest.html

Matthew 19:26
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but With God ALL things are possible

*Homer Alert*

1999 Rams

Comment

Real pick: 78 Steelers
      Homer pick: duh, look at the sig

Honorable mentions:
      89 49ers
      85 Bears
      91 Skins
      90s Cowboys
      98 Broncos
      96 Packers
      94 49ers
      90 Giants

Ok, maybe theyre not honorable mentions, more like teams that I personally thought were good over the past 20 years.
      Last edited by bigbluedefense; 04-04-2007, 08:02 AM.

Comment

They only won because they didn't face the '07 Colts.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

Comment

Originally posted by cardsalltheway View Post
          They only won because they didn't face the '07 Colts.
          If you think about it, the 07 Colts might be, the worst SB team ever. Im not saying for sure, but you can make an agrument for it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
            If you think about it, the 07 Colts might be, the worst SB team ever. Im not saying for sure, but you can make an agrument for it.
            Yeah, so true, I mean they have possibly the greatest QB ever (JIM SORGI), one of the greatest receivers ever, another good receiver, a great tight end, a great o-line, a great young runningback, and a defense that stepped it up in the postseason led by a great safety and a great defensive lineman, not to mention on the way there, they beat the Patriots, one of the best teams in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              If we're talking just in terms of regular season play, then I think you have to put the '06 Steelers beneath them, but I agree, they're definitely near the bottom.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBodden View Post
                Yeah, so true, I mean they have possibly the greatest QB ever (JIM SORGI), one of the greatest receivers ever, another good receiver, a great tight end, a great o-line, a great young runningback, and a defense that stepped it up in the postseason led by a great safety and a great defensive lineman, not to mention on the way there, they beat the Patriots, one of the best teams in the league.
                When you talk about greatest teams ever, its not just what they did for a stretch of the season. You must look at the whole body of work.

Are we to honestly believe that the SB team with the worst rush defense in the league would beat any other SB team? Come on.

And Peyton didn't exactly play lights out in the playoffs either. Outside of the 2nd half of the Patriots game, he was pretty average. And Marvin Harrison was shut down the entire playoff run. He was almost invisible out there.

Its not like we're comparing the 07 Colts to to the 07 Raiders. We're talking about a comparison of SB winning teams. I have a hard time believing that the SB team with the worst rush defense out of any SB team in NFL history would win a game against its respective competition. Did they play good rush defense at the end? Yes, but thats just part of the season. Again, you gotta look at the whole body of work.

And they had to sell out and put like 9 in the box during the playoffs to stop the run. They were lucky that all the teams they played had no pass attack to take advantage of it. The only team that remotely did was the Patriots, and they scored over 30 points in that game.

Comment

In the salary cap era, it is very difficult to find a perfect team. The squads listed by BBD were the result of amazing drafts, talent development, and the lack of a salary cap that allowed teams to keep as many (or as few) players as they wanted. You really can't compare SB Teams of the past 10 years with other times in NFL history.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                    In the salary cap era, it is very difficult to find a perfect team. The squads listed by BBD were the result of amazing drafts, talent development, and the lack of a salary cap that allowed teams to keep as many (or as few) players as they wanted. You really can't compare SB Teams of the past 10 years with other times in NFL history.
                    Thats true. Im starting to think that the salary cap era should maybe be viewed in a different context relative to the rest of the NFL teams.

I think when we talk about the best team of the salary cap era, its between the 2000 Ravens and 2004 NE Patriots. Both had very good defenses. The only thing is, because of the salary cap era, they had very very average offenses that forces you to take them lightly compared to other teams pre FA era.

But I think when we look back at that 2004 NE team, I don't think people realize how good that defense was.

You had a HOF NT in Ted Washington. Richard Seymour is probably on his way to a HOF career.

McGinnest is a HOFer. Tedy might get in eventually, maybe not. Vrabel will get snubbed. Ty Law should be a HOFer. Harrison will get snubbed but he's damn good too.

That was a damn good defense. It wasn't flashy, but it was damn good. Overlooked almost. Id compare that defense with some of the greats. Compare the overall team? No. But I definately think the defense can hang with some of the historic defenses out there. Not saying its better, but it can hang with them.

Comment

Best Super Bowl team. 1985 Bears. Only one lost in the regular season and they blew through the playoffs giving up only 10 points with two shut outs.

Worst Super Bowl winner: 1972 Colts.

Comment

Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
                        Best Super Bowl team. 1985 Bears. Only one lost in the regular season and they blew through the playoffs giving up only 10 points with two shut outs.

Worst Super Bowl winner: 1972 Colts.
                        72 Colts werent that bad of a team. That just happened to be the ugliest SB ever. But the team itself wasn't that bad.

Comment

It has to be the 96 Packers and if we didnt have an IMO overrated HC in Homgren we could have won it in 97.

Comment

Due to the salary cap and free agency, it is nearly impossible for teams to have superior athletes in every position and superior depth as well. You would never have a Montana/Young QB tandem. The Steel Curtain D would have been broken up as players sought bigger money and bonuses on the open market. The NFL eliminating guaranteed contracts and instituting the salary cap meant sacrificing dynasties for parity. It was good for the game, but you're likely not going to have incredible superhuman teams anymore. At least not for more than 1-2 years.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

My pick is 94 49ers.. Too Much TALENT on that team.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information