Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Current NFL players that you think can become coaches?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Current NFL players that you think can become coaches?

Out of the current NFL players who do you think could be a good coach in the NFL.

I think Peyton Manning will be a great QB coach, and Ray Lewis would be a good LB coach or D-coordinator because of his intensity.

• bsaza2358
    replied
    Originally posted by T-RICH49 View Post
    Agreed Trent will make a great coach
    I could see it, but it's not necessarily a done deal.

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    Originally posted by portermvp84 View Post
    I would have to say maybe Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, and Tim Brown combo. I could also see maybe Brett Farve or Peyton Manning.
    Jerry Rice isn't going to play second fiddle to anyone for that small amount of money. Taylor may, but his personality doesn't necessarily mean he will connect and be able to coach and lead a team. Tim Brown has the right personality. He is a possibility.

Peyton Manning is basically already the Assistant Offensive Coordinator for the Colts. He calls plays and knows the game, but I don't think he will want the pressure and the workload of an NFL coach. He will have a 15+ year career in the NFL. He has the drive to coach and the knowledge, but why would he want to put himself through it?

Favre's actual football IQ is very, very low. His use of terminology is limited. He couldn't go out and play QB for a non-WCO system because he doesn't know anything else. His career is a result of amazing talent and great coaching, then his behaviors became learned. He would not be a good NFL coach.

Leave a comment:

• T-RICH49
    replied
    Originally posted by LarryJohnson27 View Post
    Trent Green will become a coach someday.
    Agreed Trent will make a great coach

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    Originally posted by Go_Eagles77 View Post
    Everyone's listing probowlers and even some future hall-of-famers, coaches are very rarely top-notch players. However there are some exceptions like Art Shell and Mike Singletary for example.
    Very few Hall of Famers or All-Pro players go into coaching. As I said in my earlier post, it is hard for someone who had great ability to think about fundamentals and scheme and adjustments. They are also used to having everything handed to them because of their great talent. Trust me, no top dog wants to sit there and be told what to do all the time by a coach. They also aren't willing to work 100+ hours a week as a gopher for less than $100,000 a year while they make their name as a coach. Blue collar guys who are all about technique and football IQ are far more likely to succeed.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How about Ricky Proehl? He got a lot of mileage out of limited talent.

Leave a comment:

• The Unseen
    replied
    For the Jaguars, I could see Mike Peterson as the coach type. Maybe Donovin Darius.

Leave a comment:

• portermvp84
    replied
    I would have to say maybe Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor, and Tim Brown combo. I could also see maybe Brett Farve or Peyton Manning.

Leave a comment:

• Go_Eagles77
    replied
    Everyone's listing probowlers and even some future hall-of-famers, coaches are very rarely top-notch players. However there are some exceptions like Art Shell and Mike Singletary for example.

Leave a comment:

• bsaza2358
    replied
    Jeff Garcia, Ray Lewis, Troy Vincent, Matt Cassel, Trent Dilfer, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jim Sorgi, Matt Birk, Hank Fraley, Kevin Mawae, Jeff Saturday, John Lynch, Sam Madison, Ricky Manning Jr., Lawyer Malloy, Tony Parrish, Jason Webster, Keith Brooking, Tedy Bruschi, Na'il Diggs, Carlos Emmons, Larry Izzo, Zach Thomas, Mike Vrabel, Zach Crockett.

In general, QB's (especially backup QB's), safeties, centers, fullbacks, and LB's become coaches. Most likely, pro bowl or future hall of famers don't become coaches because their natural abilities keep them from helping players break through barriers and improve. You will see very few hall of fame players even coaching. It is just reality.

I looked though the NFL roster for players who didn't necessarily get by on their physical skills, but they had great technique. There are a few exceptions, but these are smart players who know the game and have been around a long time. Long careers are generally due to a combination of health, ability, and intelligence.

Leave a comment:

• MasterShake
    replied
    Bryant Young...smart, incredible work ethic and has the respect of everyone on his team and many from other teams.

Leave a comment:

• cardsalltheway
    replied
    I think Antonio Pierce would make a pretty good LB coach.

Leave a comment:

• skinzzfan25
    replied
    Originally posted by elway777 View Post
    Rod Smith would be a great receivers coach.Also John Lynch would be a great secondary coach.
    Ahhh these were the two that came to mind when I read this. Both are solid players throughout their career, smart, know their position very well, and personable.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The whole thing about coaching is that you have to (1) have the knowledge of the game and (2) have good communication skills to distribute that knowledge...

I like Seau as a good candidate, although he may turn player/coach due to age soon... also Carson Palmer, IMO, would make a good coach

Leave a comment:

• RaiderNation
    replied
    i could see peyton being a OC but not a HC. another is tedy brushci(sp?)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information