X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ronnie Lott Appreciation Thread

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u6CjgwMp35o
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronnie_Lott

Yes, another appreciation thread. The season is slow, and I think its important that you look back at the greats in NFL history. It helps you appreciate the position they played, how the position has changed over time, and how they impacted the way the position is played.

Safety play has become extremely relevant in the NFL today. No longer is the safety the filler position on defense. With athletic TEs becoming the norm, having safeties who can cover the TE and play the deepball has become very important. In a league that is seeing more spread sets, 3 WR sets etc, you need a safety who can come up and support the run as well.

They are asked in today's league to be the most versatile player on defense. They have to know how to cover like big CBs and tackle like linebackers.

Also with the rule changes, your best defense against the deepball lies with your safeties. Having a safety like Dawkins and Reed is a priceless commodity. Ive stated before in many threads that to be a SB team, you need a playmaker at the safety position. And the proof is in the pudding. Look at al the SB winning teams of the past 8 or so years.

Ronnie Lott set the standard for what the prototypical Safety must be. He played CB, FS, and SS. He hit like a linebacker. He covered like a corner. He was a playmaker who can change the game. He can cover the TE. He might not have been the first great safety, but he is the measuring stick.

Ronnie Lott's game was beyond era. You could transplant him into today's game, and he'd still be the best at what he does. Not many players in NFL history can say that. Only a handful. And thats why he deserves his own thread.

I know highlight videos aren't the best way to evaluate a player. But its all we got.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 04-07-2007, 09:40 PM.

I appreciate Ronnie Lott.. I also appreciate your sig.. SHO'NUFF!

Comment

Ronnie Lott was an absolute beast. One of the few players where you could say he is pretty much the undisputed best ever at his position.

Comment

One of my favorite players of all time. I sure appreciate what he did for the niners.

Comment

He was the reason why i wore 42 in pee wee football
          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Not a reach to me, but I will say the greatest defensive player I ever seen.
            my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
            <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
            <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
            <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
            Originally posted by Hermstheman83
            What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
              He was the reason why i wore 42 in pee wee football
              Probably the same reason alot of people(possible Darren Sharper) wear 42. Ronnie was the George Washigton of S's. Like Washington who set the standard for future presidents, Ronnie set the standard for S's. (PS you'll probably hear me make lots of player comparisons to El Preisdante Washington)

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Ronnie Lott we salute you sir! He was just a presence in the secondary, and the QB had better known where he was or it was trouble. I don't think he got enough credit, but being on a team with Joe Montana and Jerry Rice that will happen.

Speaking of appreciation, since Marshall Faulk has retired, I saw some comments about him as revolutionizing the game at running back and while he was a great player I question where the love is for Roger Craig? Roger Craig was doing in the late 80's what Faulk was doing and yet you hardly ever hear him being mentioned as a great multi-dimensional running back.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

He had the tip of his left pinky finger amputated late in the 1985 season so he wouldn't risk injuring it in the future and miss more football games.
                  Now that is a football player

Comment

Originally posted by Zim3031 View Post
                    Now that is a football player
                    10 characters

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
                    @SirStackAlot707

Comment

I sure wish Keith Lewis is the 2nd coming.. He's a smacker!

Comment

Originally posted by YAYareaRB View Post
                        I sure wish Keith Lewis is the 2nd coming.. He's a smacker!
                        Keith Lewis is awesome.

Comment

And what college did Ronnie Lott go to again? :)

Comment

Originally posted by elway777 View Post
                            And what college did Ronnie Lott go to again? :)
                            UCLA? :p :D

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
                            On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
                            Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
                              UCLA? :p :D

Actually his son, Ryan Nece, went to UCLA. I believe he's still on the bucaneers today.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information