X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shiver
    Originally posted by njx9
    Corner is a very difficult position to judge. Because no statistic covers, well, covering ability. All I know, no Receiver has been at all successful against Hall, and he's faced very good receivers. He's up there, but it's too subjective for any of the corners in today's game to be the definitive "best."

Also, to diffuse any potential re-buttals to that statement, Joey Galloway did all his damage away from Hall. Against popular belief, corners only play against the "1" receiver about 50% of the time, so you cannot just look at the statsbook and assume which yardage came against which corner. Such as the Terrell Owens game, he had three of his seven catches against zone defenses, not Hall.
    that's not true across the board. certain schemes don't keep a corner matched up. some coaches like to keep a guy matched up. for instance, until he got re-injured, bailey was on owens all game. foxworth spent 90% of the nfc championship game on cedrick wilson.
    Pro Football Prospectus cataloged statistics on strategic tendencies, for example "CB1 on WR1." From last year: The Denver Broncos only had CB1, or Bailey, on the WR1 51% of the time, 9th most total in the NFL. The Falcons had Hall on the WR1 56% of the time, or 5th most in the NFL. So take that.
    sure, i believe that, i'm just saying that across the board, that's not a universsally appliable stat. for instance, does anyone think bailey followed troy brown around all game? i can't imagine there was any point. the same might go for the falcons playing the cardinals, where hall should cover either fitzgerald or boldin and it typically might (might because i don't know if mora thinks it does) not matter which hall is on.

on the other hand, in a big game, bailey is typically locked down on the #1. terrance newman on the other hand, is not because parcells does not believe in playing match-ups (*). i wouldn't blame bailey because we played some wr-poor teams last year.

* - from the dallas morning news, i can try to find the article if anyone cares.

Comment

I've decided that determining a better defensive player is almost useless. Unless a player is completely dominant (Deion Sanders), you can't really know.

by BoneKrusher
      <DG> how metal unseen
      <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

I'd take Hall over anyone.
        Originally posted by Paul
        Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
        Originally posted by Vikes99ej
        These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
        MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Oh, okay njx9, I see your point. I didn't grasp what you were saying. Speaking of what you said; Owens was having a big game last year, then after half-time, Hall was on Owens the whole second half and shut him down.

Comment

Oh, okay njx9, I see your point. I didn't grasp what you were saying. Speaking of what you said; Owens was having a big game last year, then after half-time, Hall was on Owens the whole second half and shut him down.
            :roll: you know McNabb was injured right?

Comment

Champ Bailey
              Chris McAlister
              DeAngelo Hall
              Ken Lucas
              Dunta Robinson

Comment

Rashean Mathis is a top 5 corner. He could very well be the most underrated player in football.

Comment

Rashean Mathis is a top 5 corner. He could very well be the most underrated player in football.
                  I'm not sure about that...but he is making a case for elite status.

by BoneKrusher
                  <DG> how metal unseen
                  <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Dunta Robinson and Ken Lucas? Lol

Dunta got scorched by Stallworth a couple times and totally bit on the McNabbs pump fakes. Ken Lucas, well good teams just dont let top 5 cornerbacks walk, he has some weaknesses and isnt a top 5 corner.

Top 5
                    Champ Bailey
                    Chris McAlister
                    Dre Bly
                    Terrence Newman
                    DeAngelo Hall
                    Whats up buttercup!

Comment

Originally posted by dcarey20
                      Chris McAlister should get some mention...anyone who has watched him thus far knows what I'm talking about. I'm not being a homer.

-He shut down Galloway - 0 catches - and he has a 50 yard INT return for TD
                      -Randy Moss only had 2 catches against him
                      -Cleveland Game: he makes the play of the game as he intercepted a Frye pass that gave the Ravens the ball back.
                      -Today: Goes up against McCardell and he has 0 catches
                      you forget that it was against the raiders that moss only had two receptions.and moss beat him in the endzone but walter overthrew him.

in the upcoming years fabion washinton will be a huge shutdown corner.

Comment

Chris McCallister is in the discussion for sure. He has rebounded from his sub-par season last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Pokeys

Dunta got scorched by Stallworth a couple times and totally bit on the McNabbs pump fakes. Ken Lucas, well good teams just dont let top 5 cornerbacks walk, he has some weaknesses and isnt a top 5 corner.

Top 5
                          Champ Bailey
                          Chris McAlister
                          Dre Bly
                          Terrence Newman
                          DeAngelo Hall
                          dre would probably be even better if he had not gone to detroit.

Comment

Top 5
                            Champ Bailey
                            Chris McAlister
                            Dre Bly
                            Terrence Newman
                            DeAngelo Hall
                            If you actually watched the game, C.C. Brown was the one who bit on the fake. Dunta has 0 help in the secondary, he's the only one who can do something. He's not top 5, but he's a good corner. And Ken Lucas is widely respected across the league and known for being a top 5 corner. He drastically improved his play in CAR, he fit better there, plus in SEA he was on bad defenses. He's great in run support and consistant in coverage, plus comes away with the big play. Champ is the best in the business, DHall is close, but he's not as good in run support. CMac has rebounded from a bad season, during which he just was angry and lazy.

Top 10
                            1. Champ Bailey
                            2. DeAngello Hall
                            3. Ken Lucas
                            4. Chris McAlister
                            5. Ronde Barber
                            (rest not necessarily in order)
                            6. Nate Clements
                            7. Al Harris
                            8. Samari Rolle
                            9. Rashean Mathis
                            10. It's like a 10 person tie.

Comment

Originally posted by America

Top 5
                              Champ Bailey
                              Chris McAlister
                              Dre Bly
                              Terrence Newman
                              DeAngelo Hall
                              If you actually watched the game, C.C. Brown was the one who bit on the fake. Dunta has 0 help in the secondary, he's the only one who can do something. He's not top 5, but he's a good corner. And Ken Lucas is widely respected across the league and known for being a top 5 corner. He drastically improved his play in CAR, he fit better there, plus in SEA he was on bad defenses. He's great in run support and consistant in coverage, plus comes away with the big play. Champ is the best in the business, DHall is close, but he's not as good in run support. CMac has rebounded from a bad season, during which he just was angry and lazy.

Top 10
                              1. Champ Bailey
                              2. DeAngello Hall
                              3. Ken Lucas
                              4. Chris McAlister
                              5. Ronde Barber
                              (rest not necessarily in order)
                              6. Nate Clements
                              7. Al Harris
                              8. Samari Rolle
                              9. Rashean Mathis
                              10. It's like a 10 person tie.
                              I did watch the game, actually a couple times and I wasnt just referring to one play. I know Brown got burnt to but Dunta was biting hard on pump fakes as well.
                              Whats up buttercup!

Comment

I did watch the game, actually a couple times and I wasnt just referring to one play. I know Brown got burnt to but Dunta was biting hard on pump fakes as well.
                                I got what you're saying, he did make some errors, but he takes a lot of chances, which is why he was so good as a #2 when AGlenn was in Houston. But we had no pass rush in the first games, and no help from anyone else. He would be dominant on the Bears.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information