The Latest on Mike Turner?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OzTitan View Post
    Well if he's prepared to get absolutely nothing for Turner in exchange for another season as a backup, then sure, he holds all the cards.
    Well, he definitely is.

Comment

Would I trade Thomas Jones for Michael Turner? No. What did Thomas Jones cost? The value of an early 3rd round pick.

No way Turner is worth more than a late 2nd, maximum.

Comment

AJ Smith is holding all the cards? How on Earth do you figure that?

The onus is on him to get something of value before Turner becomes an unrestricted free agent, meanwhile the Draft has Day One depth that can produce exceptional RBBC backs if not potential starters. Buffalo and Tennessee willingly gave up their previous backs who were actually successful as primary runningbacks in the league unlike Turner, and Ted Thompson has hardly made a habit of using draft picks for bargaining chips.

They don't need San Diego, San Diego needs them.
        Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Either between the Bills or the Titans...
          Swapping #1s and sending a 3rd or 4th for Turner is the best situation possible for the Chargers. A straight up 2nd rd pick is nice too, there is definitely depth still remaining to fill strong needs at those picks... i think if it comes down to a 2nd rd pick it will be with the Bills, and if it involves swapping 1st rounders it will be with the Titans.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyboy View Post
            He's an UFA next year... so I don't think a team would be foolish enough to deal anything for Turner.
            I'm confused, do you mean nobody would trade any draft picks this year? If so, than why is their all this speculation, as well as official visits to Buffalo and Tenn? If you mean after he leaves as an UFA, than of course no one would deal anything for Turner, they don't have too.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo View Post
              AJ Smith is holding all the cards? How on Earth do you figure that?

The onus is on him to get something of value before Turner becomes an unrestricted free agent, meanwhile the Draft has Day One depth that can produce exceptional RBBC backs if not potential starters. Buffalo and Tennessee willingly gave up their previous backs who were actually successful as primary runningbacks in the league unlike Turner, and Ted Thompson has hardly made a habit of using draft picks for bargaining chips.

They don't need San Diego, San Diego needs them.
              Does San Diego really need them? To me, if anything it's the other way around. San Diego had a team that could have, and arguably should have made the super bowl last year, and Turner was a big part of that. He takes 100-120 carries off LT and gets great field position on every KR for SD. AJ Smith, as well as the Chargers, are not in any big rush to unload Turner, so if the right offer does not come along, theyre satisfied with him. Since they don't need to get rid of him to reach the Super Bowl, and other temas like Buff, Tenn, etc. need RBs like Turner (and if you really think he's so unproven, and so talentless I would like you to wonder why teams like Buff and Tenn are so interested in him, and why AJ holds him of such high value) to reach the next level.

In truth, I don't think either team needs anyone in this situation, rather it's more of a "this might be better for us" type situation for both teams.

Comment

If any trade happens it probably won't happen until draft day or the days prior to it. Giving up a 1st and 3rd for Turner is a little steep if a team signs him as a restricted free agent. Team are trying to get him for a little cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                  Does San Diego really need them? To me, if anything it's the other way around. San Diego had a team that could have, and arguably should have made the super bowl last year, and Turner was a big part of that. He takes 100-120 carries off LT and gets great field position on every KR for SD. AJ Smith, as well as the Chargers, are not in any big rush to unload Turner, so if the right offer does not come along, theyre satisfied with him. Since they don't need to get rid of him to reach the Super Bowl, and other temas like Buff, Tenn, etc. need RBs like Turner (and if you really think he's so unproven, and so talentless I would like you to wonder why teams like Buff and Tenn are so interested in him, and why AJ holds him of such high value) to reach the next level.

In truth, I don't think either team needs anyone in this situation, rather it's more of a "this might be better for us" type situation for both teams.
                  Buffalo can draft a RB to pair with Anthony Thomas and Tennessee drafted LenDale White with its 06 2nd round pick, they can avoid Turner and proceed business as usual. Hanging on to Turner to keep a Super Bowl run alive in case Tomlinson goes down to injury is certainly understandable, but so is the reality that if San Diego doesn't get anything for Turner now, then they'll have to wait until the 2009 Draft for a compensatory pick (assuming of course they don't sign anyone in the 08 off-season to offset Turner's signing elsewhere in any way).

By the way, I only said that Turner was unproven as a primary back, unlike Willis McGahee or Travis Henry who the teams in question willingly parted ways with, as opposed to your "so talentless" claim.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerCohen View Post
                    Well, he definitely is.
                    Haha, do you really believe that? Then why has said that he is willing to accept less than a 1st and a 3rd?

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                      I highly doubt he goes anywhere except on a possible draft day trade. There is no reason for either the Titans, Bills, or any other team for that matter to give up both a 1st and 3rd Round pick this year for him when he is an unresticted free agent next year.
                      The Bills need him this year. I really think that we will end up trading for him. Again, the only problem I think right now is the long-term deal that it will take to trade for him. Plus, he is not guaranteed to go to Buffalo in FA next year. If we trade for him obviously we would be guaranteed of Turner for many years. I really think we will get him and it will be before the draft or after, definitely not after. I see us trading a combination of a 2nd and a 3rd, one pick this year, one next year.

According to http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/report/BUF/10117946 (written yesterday) we are still talking with them.
                      --The Bills continue to talk with the San Diego Chargers about a possible deal for restricted free agent RB Michael Turner. After tendering him a $2.35 million contract, the Chargers are entitled to draft pick compensation of a first- and third-round pick in 2007. Buffalo would have no problem giving up a third-rounder -- it has two this season -- but its first round choice is No. 12 overall. That is way too valued to give up for Turner. If Buffalo somehow were able to trade down into the lower portion of the first round, obtaining more picks or a veteran player they could use to address their many needs, then deal that lower first-round pick for Turner, it would factor out better. Stay tuned. Turner, just 25, has great speed and power and could blossom as a starter after three years backing up LaDainian Tomlinson.

Comment

He's an UFA next year... so I don't think a team would be foolish enough to deal anything for Turner.
                        Are you serious? Then why are teams like the Bills, Titans, Cowboys, Jets and Packers reportedly interested? They want Turner this year and lock him up for good.

Plus, the most that AJ Smith will get for him in a compensentory pick next year would be a 3rd. Then again, you have to factor in the value of Turner playing for the Chargers this year. That is why i think a 2nd and a 3rd, one this year, one in 2008, would be fair for both teams.

Comment

Also keep in mind that Marv Levy (Bills GM) and AJ Smith have a history. Back in the glory days of the 1990's, Smith was the director of pro personnel in Buffalo when Marv Levy was the head coach of the Bills. So I think that if Buffalo REALLY wants Turner, which I think they do, they will be able to work out a trade with AJ Smith.

Comment

Originally posted by art vandelay View Post
                            Are you serious? Then why are teams like the Bills, Titans, Cowboys, Jets and Packers reportedly interested? They want Turner this year and lock him up for good.
                            You're missing the point. The point I was making was if Turner remains a Charger going into this season it would be foolish for teams to THEN give up draft picks for him knowing that he's going to be a UFA at the end of upcoming season.
                            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

You're missing the point. The point I was making was if Turner remains a Charger going into this season it would be foolish for teams to THEN give up draft picks for him knowing that he's going to be a UFA at the end of upcoming season.
                              Well that's definitely not how it came out. I mean obviously nobody's going to trade for him when it's already into the season (before Week 8). That way he would miss OTA's, training camp, etc.

Turner is expected to be traded before the draft or on draft day, no later.

Comment

Remember the Chargers have shown in the past that they are willing to keep a player on roster and let them walk the next season. Drew Brees was able to hit the open market. That is why AJ holds all of the cards. He knows that if/when Turner hits the open market, his cost is going to be a lot higher because there will be more than a few teams trying to buy his services and that will drive his cost up. If the deal doesn't make sense to AJ, he isn't going to make the move. The Titans and Bills came to the Chargers, not the other way around so they obviously have interest in Turner. There has also been some rumblings here in San Diego that GB has shown some interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information