Broncos give Shanahan three year extention

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broncos give Shanahan three year extention

Broncos signed coach Mike Shanahan to a three-year contract extension through 2011.

Shanahan will be 58 when the deal is up. He's already the second-longest tenured coach in the league to Jeff Fisher with 12 seasons under his belt. With Jay Cutler, Javon Walker, Brandon Marshall, Tony Scheffler, and Daniel Graham around long-term, the passing game figures to be in good shape
    From Rotoworld for now...

From Profootballtalk.com:

COACH KEVLAR CATCHES AN EXTENSION

The Denver Broncos have announced that coach Mike Shanahan has agreed to a three-year extension. His contract now runs through the 2011 season.

Not bad for a guy who has been to only one AFC title game since winning nearly a decade ago back-to-back championships with a roster that was held together via salary cap shenanigans.

At a time when the NFL has morphed from a "What have you done for me lately?" proposition to a "What are you doing for me right now, and what can I get out of you tomorrow?" deal, Shanahan is the rarest of all rarities -- a head coach who continues to hold his job despite a chronic inability to climb to the top of the mountain.

And ultimate success in the NFL is judged by whether a team can win the ultimate prize. In most cities. In Denver, carefully crafted statistical observations like "Shanahan is one of only three coaches in the 87-year history of professional football with more championships than losing seasons with one team among those with at least 10 years with that club" will instead justify a virtual lifetime arrangement.

In 2006, Shanahan's Broncos flamed out after a strong start, missing the postseason for the first time since 2002. The Broncos also failed to qualify for the playoffs in 1995, 1999, and 2001.

So, in twelve seasons, Shanahan is 7-5 when it comes to makes the playoffs. It's good but not great; Coach Chin was 10-5 in that category through 15 seasons with the Steelers, and the Big Show is 11-4 in 15 years with the Packers and the Seahawks.

Even Denny Green had eight playoff appearances in ten years with the Vikings. Even with three crappy years in Arizona added to his resume, Green's 8-5 playoff-or-not mark is better than Shanahan's.

So, in our view, the entire Shanahan body of work is not nearly good enough to get a three-year extension, at a time when he has two full years left on his current contract.

Then again, it doesn't surprise us. Owner Pat Bowlen has held Shanahan to a far different standard than the bar that over the past 12 years has claimed many other coaches. Every NFL coach so be so fortunate.

Comment

Well, stability is what makes a team good. Sure, the Broncos may not have won a SB recently, but we've been contending for a playoff spot every year for years. Over that stretch, how many teams have risen and faded? The Ravens won the SB, faded, and are back, the Chargers rose, the Raiders rose and faded, the Chiefs rose and faded, and this is just off the top of my head.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
      Originally posted by njx9
      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

The best play caller in the business. Legend and future Hall of Famer and one of the greatest HC's ever.

Since 94 or some thing. The Broncos, Packers, Chiefs, Steelers have the best winning percentages. All have won a super bowl except the Chiefs.
        my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
        <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
        <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
        <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
        Originally posted by Hermstheman83
        What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

good move but bad news for raider fans

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
          @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Coaching contracts don't mean anything anymore. Coaches can get fired or walk away all the time, so the contracts are essentially useless. All it really does is give Shanahan financial stability. Other than that, there is no benefit to anyone. If Shanahan has 2 bad years in a row, he will be fired (most likely). Basically, it postpones negotiation dates back a year or two and gives Shanahan more guaranteed income.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I love Shanny. Best coach in the NFL not named Bellicheck.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                I love Shanny. Best coach in the NFL not named Bellicheck.
                gonna have to disagree with u on that one

Comment

fascinating argument.
                  Fine while i think Shanahan is very good, coaches such as Sean Payton, John Fox, and BIll Cowher,if he counts, are better than him

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                    Fine while i think Shanahan is very good, coaches such as Sean Payton, John Fox, and BIll Cowher,if he counts, are better than him
                    Sean Payton? Sean Payton is fine and original coach, but he hasn't won anything. Let's give him a couple of seasons under his belt before we break out the annointing oil.

As for John Fox, he's had two tremendous seasons, and then some huge stinkers. I like the guy, but tend to think he's a bit overrated (like putting him as one of the best), and I've heard more rumblings from Panthers fans as of late. I think he's on the hotseat this year and will need to at least make the playoffs.

I really think the only legit coaches you could put vs. Shanny are Holmgren, Dungy, Reid, and Gruden (though I personally don't like Gruden much at all).

Comment

Sean Payton? Sean Payton is fine and original coach, but he hasn't won anything. Let's give him a couple of seasons under his belt before we break out the annointing oil.

As for John Fox, he's had two tremendous seasons, and then some huge stinkers. I like the guy, but tend to think he's a bit overrated (like putting him as one of the best), and I've heard more rumblings from Panthers fans as of late. I think he's on the hotseat this year and will need to at least make the playoffs.

I really think the only legit coaches you could put vs. Shanny are Holmgren, Dungy, Reid, and Gruden (though I personally don't like Gruden much at all).
                      forgot about this guy but i think Holmgren is also better and what about * sarcasm*Art Shell*sarcasm*

Comment

fascinating argument.
                        He also negative repped me. Cause having different opinions is a bad thing apparently.

Comment

He also negative repped me. Cause having different opinions is a bad thing apparently.
                          ya i dont no really when to negative rep, my bad, i take it that is not a time when u negative rep.

Comment

Originally posted by Chucky View Post
                            ya i dont no really when to negative rep, my bad, i take it that is not a time when u negative rep.
                            Eh..I don't care. I just neg rep you back and mine is more powerful so you lose in the end. :p

Comment

Well deserved for Mike

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information