X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw it on ESPNews. Great job Goodell.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
      I don't think individual players are really suffering significantly because of a few guys. Yes, teammates have to answer questions from the media, but the image of the NFL is suffering slightly. Even in the face of all these problems, the league is a gigantic moneymaker. Every owner is getting money. The indiividual players are not suffering now, but the entire NFL is affected by individual actions and actors. The league is in danger of losing money or its status if these problems continued. That was the point of the conduct policy.
      I dunno...

I just think that it's hypocritical that we celebrate aggression and violence on the field, and then condemn if off the field. We laud guys who play with a "mean streak" or with a "chip on their shoulder," and criticize players who don't. I don't know how many people here who have played football, but I played since I was eight all the way through high school. It takes a definite "dark" side (I guess you could call it that) to play football, especially once you get to the higher levels.

I was never one of those players, for whatever reason. By the time I got to my senior year of high school, I was so burnt out of football that I no longer had an emotional attachment to playing the game. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that, for some people, an aggressive nature and the like stems directly from the personality. It's not something that some people can turn on and off when they enter or exit a football field. Sometimes, the traits that make someone a great football player (traits that we applaud) are the same ones that get players in trouble off the field.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        I dunno...

I just think that it's hypocritical that we celebrate aggression and violence on the field, and then condemn if off the field. We laud guys who play with a "mean streak" or with a "chip on their shoulder," and criticize players who don't. I don't know how many people here who have played football, but I played since I was eight all the way through high school. It takes a definite "dark" side (I guess you could call it that) to play football, especially once you get to the higher levels.

I was never one of those players, for whatever reason. By the time I got to my senior year of high school, I was so burnt out of football that I no longer had an emotional attachment to playing the game. I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that, for some people, an aggressive nature and the like stems directly from the personality. It's not something that some people can turn on and off when they enter or exit a football field. Sometimes, the traits that make someone a great football player (traits that we applaud) are the same ones that get players in trouble off the field.
        It does take a dark side...I used to use it as a way of gettin out agression from stuff that happened during my childhood/etc. Didn't grow up in the best environment so to speak, so football was a great way of letting some of it out.

But at the same time, Ive never done anything off the field. Im a big believer in self control. You cant blame your environment for stuff that YOU do. I never buy that. I don't want to get too into my personal life but somebody I knew growing up is in jail for life. He always blamed this and that for what he did. I never bought it. I grew up around the same stuff. It never drove me to do something stupid. I think you have to control yourself and be responsible for your actions. It takes a strong mind, but life isn't fair, and not everyone is born with the same oppurtunities. Sometimes it takes a little more to go half as far, but hey, thats life.

Pacman isnt the only NFL player who grew up tough. Look at Warrick Dunn as a 180 of Pacman. He raised all his siblings by himself, and is a model citizen. Grew up around the same environment, no father etc. Pacman and his like need to accept responsibility for their actions.

Comment

We should have drafted Carlos Rogers...

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
            We should have drafted Carlos Rogers...
            Rogers struggled a little this year actually.

Eh, you shouldve drafted Derrick Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Rogers struggled a little this year actually.

Eh, you shouldve drafted Derrick Johnson
              I was thinking in terms of corners. Had the NFL known that this guy was going to be a complete and total ****ing idiot he wouldn't have been drafted until the third round. This really pisses me off because now the Titans have to think even more about drafting a corner in round one. Maybe they can trade for Samuel some how.

Comment

I was thinking in terms of corners. Had the NFL known that this guy was going to be a complete and total ****ing idiot he wouldn't have been drafted until the third round. This really pisses me off because now the Titans have to think even more about drafting a corner in round one. Maybe they can trade for Samuel some how.
                The signs were there. The Titans just choose to look past them and felt his talent outweighed them. They were wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  It does take a dark side...I used to use it as a way of gettin out agression from stuff that happened during my childhood/etc. Didn't grow up in the best environment so to speak, so football was a great way of letting some of it out.

But at the same time, Ive never done anything off the field. Im a big believer in self control. You cant blame your environment for stuff that YOU do. I never buy that. I don't want to get too into my personal life but somebody I knew growing up is in jail for life. He always blamed this and that for what he did. I never bought it. I grew up around the same stuff. It never drove me to do something stupid. I think you have to control yourself and be responsible for your actions. It takes a strong mind, but life isn't fair, and not everyone is born with the same oppurtunities. Sometimes it takes a little more to go half as far, but hey, thats life.

Pacman isnt the only NFL player who grew up tough. Look at Warrick Dunn as a 180 of Pacman. He raised all his siblings by himself, and is a model citizen. Grew up around the same environment, no father etc. Pacman and his like need to accept responsibility for their actions.
                  I agree with you on issues of self control. I have excellent self control. I do what I want to do and what I need to do, and don't do anything that I do want to do.

I just try to look at things from different perspectives. I've always been a very, very laid back person in just about every aspect of my life. As a result, I was never able to just flip a switch to make me play with a chip on my shoulder during football. I have to assume that there is a flipside - people who have that aggressive mentality and can't just turn it on and off.

Comment

Many talented players have character concerns. Some of them rise above and never have a problem, and others repeat the same mistakes. It's true in every major sport.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                      The signs were there. The Titans just choose to look past them and felt his talent outweighed them. They were wrong.
                      What were the signs? I can't remember thing anything that was a red flag about him when they drafted him.

Comment

I have no remorse for thugs. If they truely want to play footnball its easy, stay the F**K out of trouble.

Comment

What were the signs? I can't remember thing anything that was a red flag about him when they drafted him.
                          I'll give you some " signs". He was named after a video game character and can bearly speak english.
                          Last edited by TitleTown088; 04-10-2007, 03:00 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                          they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                          Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

He had major character concerns before he even got drafted. It was well documented.

Tennessee rolled the dice, and got snake eyes. It happens.

Comment

Great message sent by Roger

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by TitleTown088 View Post
                                I'll give you some " signs". He was named after a video game character and can bearly speak enlgish.
                                Irony for 200.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information