No announcement yet.

Drew Beldsoe retires

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was glad the Raiders didn't sign him. We don't need another pockett passer in the black hole. He had a good soild career, it was just his time to hang it up.

Thanks to jackalope

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
      He was a good QB, lets remember him for that, not his crappy years.
      He actually didn't play that bad last year. I believe he was 3-3. Yes, he had quite a few ints but not all were his fault. I blame T.O.

Comment

Patriots fans should be greatful for him getting JACKED UP! Otherwise Tom Brady would have as many rings as Drew Henson has right now. ZERO!

Comment

I agree with the first point, but not the second. There was talk before he got hit that Brady might be replacing him before the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperMcgee View Post
            Boy do I ever miss the Cannon. Him paired with one of my favorite players ever in Tim Brown was simply magical. I was so disheartened when he f'ed up in the Super Bowl. He won me several fantasy seasons and was always great to watch. Another guy I miss, Mr. Steve Beuerlein.

He didn't really F up in the Superbowl, it's impossible to be a quarterback when the defense knows every play before it's run. I don't blame Gannon.

I guess conceivably you could blame Al for trading away the coach of a team ready to win a SB. Or TB for jacking him. Mostly though, it's just karma.

Comment

if dan fouts can make the hall of fame why shouldn't bledsoe? bledsoe has more attempts, more completions, more yards, 3 less TD's but 36 less INT's. he won a ring (as a backup) but he got to another superbowl as the starter.

Comment

Drew Bledsoe ain't going to the Hall of Fame unless he goes in the same way you and I do, by buying a ticket.

He is viewed as an adequate starter who kept the job warm until a younger more talented QB was ready. He never had a passing rating 90 or above. No MVP. He was never the best at his position in any given season.

And comparing him to Dan Fouts is either ignorant or fangirlness.

Comment

I think you're a little jaded. He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years. I'm not saying put him in the HOF, but he absolutely has the stats for it. There was a point in time where people were talking about him breaking Marino's passing yard record, and in the end, he finished 7th all time. So it is not completely ridiculous to talk about the guy as a HOF candidate.

Dan Fouts is a completely valid comparison. Dan Fouts had 7 years he three more INT's than TD's, Drew only had 5. Dan Fouts threw 20 INT's in a season five times, Drew only twice. The fleet footed Drew Bledsoe even had about 300 more rushing yards!
                  Last edited by Jay; 04-13-2007, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                    I think you're a little jaded. He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years. I'm not saying put him in the HOF, but he absolutely has the stats for it. There was a point in time where people were talking about him breaking Marino's passing yard record, and in the end, he finished 7th all time. So it is not completely ridiculous to talk about the guy as a HOF candidate.

Dan Fouts is a completely valid comparison. Dan Fouts had 7 years he three more INT's than TD's, Drew only had 5. Dan Fouts threw 20 INT's in a season five times, Drew only twice. The fleet footed Drew Bledsoe even had about 300 more rushing yards!
                    Are you saying Bledsoe was better than Brett Favre? Who had three MVP seasons when Bledsoe was at his peak? Better than John Elway? Better than Troy Aikman?

Yardage doesn't mean as much as what it used to since many QB's throw over 4,000 yards now. It doesn't take as long to rack up on the career yardage chart. Vinnie Testeverde probably should be in the Hall of Fame based on this logic.

Dan Fouts redefined the QB position. He was the first QB to throw for more than 4,000 yards in more than one season. He helped create the high powered offense.

Fouts couldn't run either, he makes Bledsoe look mobile.

Bledsoe ain't getting inducted. He will forever be seen as the bench warmer for the younger guy.

Comment

You don't know what you're talking about. He was never a bench warmer for the younger guy. He was the franchise savior for the Patriots. Tom Brady just happened to come around. The Bills traded for him so he could turn the franchise around. The Cowboys signed him to be "the guy." No one expect Tony Romo to happen when the Cowboys signed Bledsoe.

And how am I saying Bledsoe is better than Brett Favre or John Elway? Both of them had more passing yards than Bledsoe. Both of them have better stats across the board? There's no need to pull names out your ass. All I am saying is that the argument can be made for Bledsoe being deserving of being in the Hall.

I'll bite and say he was as good, if not better than Troy Aikman. Aikman played two fewer seasons, but even if the stats project out, Bledsoe has him beat by a mile. Aikman benefited from playing on much better teams, all the way around. He had a HOF RB and a borderline HOF WR. But Aikman only threw for 20 or more TD's once. He only went to two more Pro Bowls, and the competition in the AFC was arguably much stiffer. But in the end, Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls, played for one of the biggest dynasties in the NFL and that is what he will be remembered for. In 1995, four of his OLineman were Pro Bowlers, in 1993 he had three and in 1992, two.

But Aikman has the rings, and while I feel like Bledsoe was a better QB, Aikman absolutely belongs in the hall first. But I don't see any reason why Bledsoe hasn't put himself into consideration for it. Is he borderline? Absolutely. If he doesn't get it, I will think it makes about as much sense as if he does get in. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But to call him a "bench warmer" is completely uneducated.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                        You don't know what you're talking about. He was never a bench warmer for the younger guy. He was the franchise savior for the Patriots. Tom Brady just happened to come around. The Bills traded for him so he could turn the franchise around. The Cowboys signed him to be "the guy." No one expect Tony Romo to happen when the Cowboys signed Bledsoe.

And how am I saying Bledsoe is better than Brett Favre or John Elway? Both of them had more passing yards than Bledsoe. Both of them have better stats across the board? There's no need to pull names out your ass. All I am saying is that the argument can be made for Bledsoe being deserving of being in the Hall.

I'll bite and say he was as good, if not better than Troy Aikman. Aikman played two fewer seasons, but even if the stats project out, Bledsoe has him beat by a mile. Aikman benefited from playing on much better teams, all the way around. He had a HOF RB and a borderline HOF WR. But Aikman only threw for 20 or more TD's once. He only went to two more Pro Bowls, and the competition in the AFC was arguably much stiffer. But in the end, Troy Aikman won three Super Bowls, played for one of the biggest dynasties in the NFL and that is what he will be remembered for. In 1995, four of his OLineman were Pro Bowlers, in 1993 he had three and in 1992, two.

But Aikman has the rings, and while I feel like Bledsoe was a better QB, Aikman absolutely belongs in the hall first. But I don't see any reason why Bledsoe hasn't put himself into consideration for it. Is he borderline? Absolutely. If he doesn't get it, I will think it makes about as much sense as if he does get in. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

But to call him a "bench warmer" is completely uneducated.
                        You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so.

He went to Bufflao because Buffalo thought he was the veteran QB to get them to the playoffs. He had one good year and two lousy ones. He was not missed when he left town. He went to have two more lousy years in Dallas before he was benched for lousy performance.

Bledsoe never had a QB rating 90 or above. He never threw for more than 28 TD's in a season despite playing full season most of his career. He never set any records.

If Ken Anderson is not in the Hall of Fame, Drew Bledsoe isn't going in.

Read this.
                        http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15431478/

Keep waiting. I would plan alternative vacation backup because you will not be going to Canton to see Bledsoe enshrined.

Comment

I really like Bledsoe, however, I do not believe he should be in the Hall of Fame, I don't think he was ever even a top 3 player at QB. Favre, Young, Elway were all without a doubt better. Aikman was arguably. Moon and Marino were on the down turn of their career, but still probably better.
                          I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
                          Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

"You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so."

being considered one of the best does not mean the best. it just means that you are considered by most to be an elite player at your position, which drew was for many years early in his career
                            Patriots, Red Sox, Celtics, Bruins, Texas Longhorns

Comment

Originally posted by Bigburt63 View Post
                              "You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so."

being considered one of the best does not mean the best. it just means that you are considered by most to be an elite player at your position, which drew was for many years early in his career
                              I named 6 QB's of Bledsoe's prime that were thought to be better than him. All Bledsoe has going for him is his yardage and durability (for someone as statueque as Bledsoe, he hardly missed any games except for the Brady breakout season). He didn't dominate in any other area as others of his era. Fouts did.

Considering the back log of players waiting to go into the Hall of Fame, Bledsoe is going to take a number way back in the line.

Being from Mass, you have on the homer glasses that the rest of the nation doesn't have when looking at Bledsoe. Ask most people outside of New England the best QB's from the 90's, not many will say Drew Bledsoe.
                              Last edited by eacantdraft; 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
                                You're the one that said this. "He was absolutely considered one of the best at his position for quite a few years." Better than Aikman, Moon, Favre, Elway, Marino, Young? I don't think so.

He went to Bufflao because Buffalo thought he was the veteran QB to get them to the playoffs. He had one good year and two lousy ones. He was not missed when he left town. He went to have two more lousy years in Dallas before he was benched for lousy performance.

Bledsoe never had a QB rating 90 or above. He never threw for more than 28 TD's in a season despite playing full season most of his career. He never set any records.

If Ken Anderson is not in the Hall of Fame, Drew Bledsoe isn't going in.

Read this.
                                http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15431478/

Keep waiting. I would plan alternative vacation backup because you will not be going to Canton to see Bledsoe enshrined.
                                Are you completely ********?

1. I am sure Buffalo traded a first round pick to their division rival the Patriots hoping to get one good year out of him.

2. There were years where Bledsoe was better than every QB on that list, and also, he many of those guys were gone at various points in Bledsoe's career.

3. Bledsoe's numbers are FAR superior to those of Ken Anderson. Bad example.

4. I have already established that, purely based on production at the position, Drew Bledsoe was better than Troy Aikman. If Aikman didn't win Super Bowls, he wouldn't be nearly as revered. Not saying Aikman was bad, just saying that Bledsoe in his prime was better.

5. Having never thrown for 28 TD's and still ranking in the top 15 to ever play the position in TD passes speaks for the consistency Bledsoe had over his career.

6. Bledsoe had less talent around him then most of the guys you listed.

7. I AM NOT EVEN SAYING BLEDSOE 100% BELONGS IN THE HALL, JUST THAT THE ARGUMENT CAN BE MADE.

8. There would not be a New England Patriots if it were not for Drew Bledsoe. That has to, and will, count for something.

I have never interacted with you before, but it is very clear why you are thought of so negatively. Learn to read and when you come up with comparisons, find good ones.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information