No announcement yet.

How important are rings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course the older people aren't more physically gifted than their modern day counterparts, however, the question is never the most TALENTED QB, it is the best. So you have to compare how the players performed compared to their contempories. Unitas vastly outperformed his contempories and dominated the era. THAT is why he can be considered the GOAT. He was 5'9" of course he isn't the same athlete that John Elway was. Or even Brett Favre.

It is the same with Jim Brown, his measurables would be only slightly above average in the NFL today. If you want to go based on talent alone, Bo Jackson is the best running back of all time, and Mike Vick is the best QB. But you have to look at what they did in the era they did it. That is a big reason why I like to split the QBs up into 2 eras, with 1978 being the breaking point. That is the year that the rules were changed to open the passing game, and about when the WCO began to take hold, giving the QBs much higher completion percentages and the like.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Billingsley26 View Post
      Thats right, theres nothing to compare to Peyton Manning playing the likes of Houton twice a year, playing Jacksonville twice a year when they were ****, smae with the Titans for the past few years. how about when they were in the AFC East? They had the lowly Bills for all those years twice a year, same with the Jets. Yet Manning put up these great numbers against much weaker competition. Its the same idea. Sure Manning is geat for all he has done, but you can't talk about playing weaker competition than Unitas did. Also not to menton how he did everything in 12 and 14 game seasons.
      The Texans of today are a bad team big deal... the athletes on their team are much better than those Unitas went up against. Like I said the advancement of the game has to be taken into consideration. Do you realize how much scouting has progressed over the years? Scouts didnt even have tape to look at... they were drafting players pretty much blindly back in the day. Peyton plays against the greatest players/athletes in the world... The NFL's growth has been tremendous... the game is no where near comparable.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
      KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by someone447 View Post
        Of course the older people aren't more physically gifted than their modern day counterparts, however, the question is never the most TALENTED QB, it is the best. So you have to compare how the players performed compared to their contempories. Unitas vastly outperformed his contempories and dominated the era. THAT is why he can be considered the GOAT. He was 5'9" of course he isn't the same athlete that John Elway was. Or even Brett Favre.

It is the same with Jim Brown, his measurables would be only slightly above average in the NFL today. If you want to go based on talent alone, Bo Jackson is the best running back of all time, and Mike Vick is the best QB. But you have to look at what they did in the era they did it. That is a big reason why I like to split the QBs up into 2 eras, with 1978 being the breaking point. That is the year that the rules were changed to open the passing game, and about when the WCO began to take hold, giving the QBs much higher completion percentages and the like.
        I disagree... I just see it as a bias. Take Mike Singeltary... he has that "legendary" status. You compare him to the likes of say Junior Seau (#1 tackler in NFL history) or Zach Thomas (#2 tackler in NFL history). The majority will go with Singeltary. People tend to go with the older era player that has amassed a, once again "legendary" status. I'm getting tired of the topic so, I'm pretty much done. I respect all of your views and you know how i feel.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Originally posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
          I disagree... I just see it as a bias. Take Mike Singeltary... he has that "legendary" status. You compare him to the likes of say Junior Seau (#1 tackler in NFL history) or Zach Thomas (#2 tackler in NFL history). The majority will go with Singeltary. People tend to go with the older era player that has amassed a, once again "legendary" status. I'm getting tired of the topic so, I'm pretty much done. I respect all of your views and you know how i feel.
          If you're going to take away from the old era players for the fact that the quality of athletes wasn't the same, don't you also have to take away from the current era players for free agency and expansion watering down the talent pool in the league today?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
          <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

What about when people compared Brady to Manning last year? "Who would you rather have?" Most would respond, "Brady, he has the rings." I think this viewpoint is absurd. This is like saying Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Marino.

Comment

Originally posted by Gang Green View Post
              What about when people compared Brady to Manning last year? "Who would you rather have?" Most would respond, "Brady, he has the rings." I think this viewpoint is absurd. This is like saying Trent Dilfer was a better QB than Marino.
              I didn't know I had a parrot.

Comment

Now... when I talk about taking away from older players... I mean like players playing prior to the late 70's. The whole thing with Singeltary is different. I feel there is always a bias toward the older player... I've seen Singeltary play... he was fantastic but, I think Seau and Thomas were better players. Another one would be... Peyton Manning vs. the Montana's, the Elway's, and Marino's of the world. You watch these guys on tape and Peyton is more dazzling than all of them and statisically better but, in the best QB threads... there is always a bias for the older player.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

KO KNOWS

Comment

Working...
                X

Debug Information