Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How important are rings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • How important are rings?

    Am I the only one who finds a double standard between quarterbacks and everyone else when it comes to the importance of championships?

    Why is it that in order to be considered an all-time great at QB, one has to win a championship? There are many Hall-of-Fame type RBs and WRs who never won a championship (Barry Sanders, O.J., Thurman Thomas, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Steve Largent...etc.) that are still considered among the greatest of all time, but there's only a handful of HOF QBs (in the Super Bowl era) who never won a championship (Tarkenton, Moon, Marino, Kelly, Fouts...there might be a couple more).

    My argument isn't exactly complete; I just wanted to get the thought out there.
    Another victim of Ontario's public education system.

  • #2
    Mainly because, the Quarterback is the leader of the team. He gets all the credit, and all the blame(more or less) for a team's success or failures. Therefore, he is only considered great when he takes his team to the championship. Runningbacks don't have the same amount of control over a team as a quarterback does, so with the leadership and control, comes the responsibility to win a championship.

    Comment


    • #3
      ^ What he said.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Belish View Post
        Am I the only one who finds a double standard between quarterbacks and everyone else when it comes to the importance of championships?

        Why is it that in order to be considered an all-time great at QB, one has to win a championship? There are many Hall-of-Fame type RBs and WRs who never won a championship (Barry Sanders, O.J., Thurman Thomas, Cris Carter, Tim Brown, Steve Largent...etc.) that are still considered among the greatest of all time, but there's only a handful of HOF QBs (in the Super Bowl era) who never won a championship (Tarkenton, Moon, Marino, Kelly, Fouts...there might be a couple more).

        My argument isn't exactly complete; I just wanted to get the thought out there.
        Good post I don't think it is really fair it takes a team to win a SB not just a QB.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
          Good post I don't think it is really fair it takes a team to win a SB not just a QB.
          It takes a team to win a Super Bowl, but the Quarterback is always (well usually) the one who gets the credit for the win, or blame for the loss however. Because they have so much responsibility in getting the team there, they are judged by how often they do it, and come out successful.

          It's not fair, but with the role the Quarterback plays, it will not change any time soon.

          Comment


          • #6
            They define a career away from the stats


            Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

            Comment


            • #7
              Dan Marino took the Dolphins to the Super Bowl, and his TEAM got beaten by the superior TEAM.

              Comment


              • #8


                Does that answer your question?

                Comment


                • #9
                  The ring arguement is the biggest load of crap because using that logic Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than either Dan Marino or Warren Moon.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                    The ring arguement is the biggest load of crap because using that logic Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than either Dan Marino or Warren Moon.
                    Well, I don't think anyone is saying rings are the only way to judge a QB. I don't agree with people using them to judge QBs at all, but there are some reasons to do that, since they represent the entire team as leaders. Should the rings be used to justify Dilfer over Marino? No, but it does reflect well on Dilfer that he managed to win a big game.

                    It's just a piece of the puzzle, that is a lot bigger than it should be, but is still there.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Ewing View Post
                      The ring arguement is the biggest load of crap because using that logic Trent Dilfer is a better quarterback than either Dan Marino or Warren Moon.
                      Yeah, that's if you're just taking it as a stand-alone measuring point though. The ring argument should go hand-in-hand with play on the field over a career. Obviously no one would take Dilfer over Marino, but I think it holds more weight when comparing players with similar careers.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I agree with a lot of what has already been said.

                        But to expand on it, the reason for the lack of non-ring baring QB's in the Hall Of Fame is because QB is the most scrutinized position in the NFL, and it always has and will be. If a guy isn't winning, he's not going to get many chances before a team decides to move on with someone else. Unless you are an elite talent like a Dan Marino or a Warren Moon, where you are undeniably the best option your team has at QB moving forward, you're not going to have much job security.

                        That said, how many people without rings are really in the same league as Dan Marino, Warren Moon, Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly, etc? Jim Kelly went to four straight Super Bowls. Marino was one of the top two or three to ever play the game, and also led his team to the big game. I can't think of many guys who can compare to what those guys did on the field that aren't in the Hall and don't have rings.

                        With RB's and WR's, it's easier to put up huge numbers and not have to look over you shoulder if you're not producing. But Barry Sanders and OJ Simpson were record setters. Thurman Thomas went to four Super Bowls. All those guys accomplished a lot in this game...

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah, it is maybe somewhat exageratted that the QB gets so much credit for winning the SB or his career is frowned upon if he doesnt win one. But he is the leader of the team and the most important player.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Jay View Post
                            But to expand on it, the reason for the lack of non-ring baring QB's in the Hall Of Fame
                            Huh? The great QBs without championships (see: Y.A. Tittle, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon) are Hall of Famers. Championships are an overused argument, but at least the Hall of Fame committee can see past a great player not having them. Now if they could only see past mediocre players having them...


                            The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

                            If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

                            <Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
                            <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
                              Huh? The great QBs without championships (see: Y.A. Tittle, Fran Tarkenton, Dan Fouts, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Warren Moon) are Hall of Famers. Championships are an overused argument, but at least the Hall of Fame committee can see past a great player not having them. Now if they could only see past mediocre players having them...
                              What mediocre players with rings might you be speaking of?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information