No announcement yet.

Should Al Davis retire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone who hates on Al Davis = Ignorant.

You can scapegoat him all you want, its not his fault. He hand crafted this great young defense of ours and he stocked the offense with talent but the coaching staff, especially Art Shell and his bed n breakfast OC couldnt do anything with it. Al is a great owner/GM and theres no one I would rather have running my team. As long as his health permits it, he should keep on doing what hes doing. Al Davis is a great man of high character and I have great respect for him and he will go down as an NFL legend.

Comment

Al Davis has one 3 SBs.None of which with a QB he drafted in the 1st.
      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Yes, there comes a point where you just have to say this isn't for me anymore b/c I don't know if I'm going to wake up the next morning; he should hand over the duties to someone else

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Is there a reason why this thread was dug up out of extinction?

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
            Is there a reason why this thread was dug up out of extinction?
            ...Just like the Raiders QBs.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
            Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
            Originally posted by njx9
            do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

hahaha no. football is al davis' life. hes going until he dies or gets ill

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
              @SirStackAlot707

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
                Akili Smith
                Joey Harrington
                Todd Marinovich
                Ryan Leaf
                Patrick Ramsey
                Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
                Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
                Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
                Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
                Tom Brady a 6th rounder
                Trent Green an 8th rounder
                Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
                Jake Delhomme (once)
                Tom Brady (three times)
                Kurt Warner (twice)
                Matt Hasselbeck (once)
                Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
                Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?
                NIP Don't Play!

Comment

Originally posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
                  Anyone who hates on Al Davis = Ignorant.

You can scapegoat him all you want, its not his fault. He hand crafted this great young defense of ours and he stocked the offense with talent but the coaching staff, especially Art Shell and his bed n breakfast OC couldnt do anything with it. Al is a great owner/GM and theres no one I would rather have running my team. As long as his health permits it, he should keep on doing what hes doing. Al Davis is a great man of high character and I have great respect for him and he will go down as an NFL legend.
                  6 Playoff appearances in 20 years is a great accomplishment. Great job from Al there. Did you know the Denver Broncos have been to 5 Super Bowls in that time?

Or do you think it's still 1985?

Comment

Originally posted by nobodyinparticular View Post
                    Check it out. First round QBs, huh? That's what the Raiders need? How about the fact that over 50% of 1st round QBs are busts?

Tim Couch
                    Akili Smith
                    Joey Harrington
                    Todd Marinovich
                    Ryan Leaf
                    Patrick Ramsey
                    Cade McNown

And on the cusp with JP Losman, Kyle Boller and dare I say David Carr.

Whereas, we look at some of the better QBs in the NFL and I think they would have something to say about having to be a first rounder to be a good QB in the league in recent years.

Just ask:
                    Jake Delhomme an undrafted free agent
                    Matt Hasselbeck a 5th rounder
                    Marc Bulger a 6th rounder
                    Tom Brady a 6th rounder
                    Trent Green an 8th rounder
                    Kurt Warner an undrafted free agent

Between them, they have 4 of the last 7 Super Bowls and another one of those belongs to Brad Johnson, a former 9th rounder himself. Of the last 7 Super Bowls, only 2 have been won by former 1st round draft picks (and one of those is Trent Dilfer who hardly won that 2001 Super Bowl himself). To top it off, of the 14 participating starting QBs in the Super Bowls since 1999, only 5 of them have been 1st rounders.

Those are Trent Dilfer, Ben Roethlisberger, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair and Kerry Collins. That means 9 of the QBs were non-1st round picks.

That includes:
                    Jake Delhomme (once)
                    Tom Brady (three times)
                    Kurt Warner (twice)
                    Matt Hasselbeck (once)
                    Rich Gannon (a 4th rounder, once)
                    Brad Johnson (once)

I think you really need to re-think that assumption that you have to draft a 1st round QB to be successful. Because isn't the Super Bowl what it's all about, and apparently, 1st rounders don't get there very often, now do they?
                    Where do I start?

1. JP Losman has not been a bust. He finally put it together last season. He was raw and it take a little while for those QB's to develop.

2. Didn't you forget about the Super Bowl earlier this month where both QB's were first round draft picks. You didn't include them.

3. First round draft picks on the Super Bowl winners have happened more than half the time. 22 or 23 of the Super Bowl winning QB (out of 41 Super Bowls) have been first rounders.

Comment

Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
                      6 Playoff appearances in 20 years is a great accomplishment. Great job from Al there. Did you know the Denver Broncos have been to 5 Super Bowls in that time?

Or do you think it's still 1985?
                      and yet they only managed to win 2.
                      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                        and yet they only managed to win 2.

And that in one playoff run.

Let's count the ways the Raiders have reeked of suckage since 1986.

1. 6 Playoff appearance, 3 of which was during the only successful blip on the radar during the Gannon years. Only Arizona, New Orleans, Detroit, and maybe a couple other teams have reeked of more suckage.

2. Senile Al can never stay with one coach. He has the attention span of a 2 year old. He fired two coaches who went on to win 3 Super Bowls with other teams. He had other coaches who only lasted one season. No team can win consistantly when you change coaches every year or two. Senile Al was so desperate for someone to accept the Raidah's coaching job that he had to scrape the bottom of the barrell to get a college assistant. What's next for senile Al, high school assistant, Pee Wee league head coaches.

3. Bad player accessment. How many 1st round draft picks has the Raiders have blown? How many druggees. Many.

Comment

This needs a poll, but the man is so old and senile it's not even funny. He needs to go spend the rest of his life on the beach in the Bahamas or something. I don't even know why he has so much say in their personnel decisions.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

i would take him over ralph wilson jr/ anyday!!! hwo can you be senial and still considered junior it shoudl be illiagal haha

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Originally posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
                              i would take him over ralph wilson jr/ anyday!!! hwo can you be senial and still considered junior it shoudl be illiagal haha
                              Why the **** did you dig this thread up? It's dead.

Comment

People forget that Davis built a championship team only several years ago. In a "what have you done for me lately" league people really forget about that. If Al Davis wasn't so whacky, people wouldn't say a thing about him, because the Raiders have been good before.

Go complain about the Cardinals owners, home of probably , the worst attendance over time in history.

Designs by Thule

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information