Brian Urlacher, overrated?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearsfan_51
    If Urlacher is overated I challenge anyone to name a MLB in the game today better than him.

If you said Zach Thomas or Vilma, you're wrong.

Give him another MVP or a Pro Bowl or two and he's in the HOF.
    Before I say this, understand that I believe Urlacher is the best MIKE in the game.

Having that said, I think he's overrated in a sense that he could be even better than he is, IF he only had a brain (duh duhadada [lame attempt at singing the Wizard of Oz]).

Urlacher does not call the plays, line up his teammates or call defensive audibles. I believe Mike Brown holds those responsibilities. I could be wrong though, and if I am, heck, Urlacher still doesn't do a good job at it. He is not a cerebral type linebacker. He gets by too much on his pure athleticism. I see him take the wrong angle many times, but he just happens to save himself and make an "incredible" play by thrusting his body back into the proper area and making a play. Thats all fine and dandy now, but he won't have that forever, and he will fall off HARD when he loses it. He has all the physical tools, but he has no brains to go with it.

I think Vilma can overtake him in a couple of years easily. He has the instincts and the brain. But Urlacher will fall off just like Ray Lewis. But unlike Lewis, his dropoff will be even worse because he won't have any instincts to fall back on.

Comment

Most underrated player in the game:

Buffalo Bills' MLB London Fletcher-Baker

Discuss.
      Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Originally posted by Geo

Discuss.
        Nope...its Mike Vrabel. Seriously. How many times to hear his name mentioned amongst the top 3-4 OLBs in the game? Barely. Yet he's in the top 5 easily, probably top 3. Yet no love. Its Vrabel.

And Jason Taylor is the most underappreciated DE in the game.

And Kerry Rhodes is the most underappreciated Safety.

And Ty Warren is the most underappreciated DT (I know, he's technically a DE, but you get what I'm saying).

Comment

Originally posted by Geo

Discuss.
          I agree, great player.

Comment

I would think that Lights out would be around there, people started pegging him as the next all time great LB, the next LT, and so on, then he doesnt get a sack against the Titans and I dont think he got a sack against the Ravens and our line is nothing special, but dont get me wrong, Shawne is still a very good player. But W/ Lewis I don't see how he would be the second most overrated player, I think everybody has accepted that he is now only top 5-10 MLB isntead of the beast he once was. Smokey Joe did they give reasons why they are overrated?

Comment

IMO, Urlacher and Peppers have a distinct line drawn behind them as the two best defensive players in the game.

I think some people get "great tackle machines" mixed up with "great linebackers". Urlacher can make game changing plays and can single handely take games over. That is what GREAT players do, in other words...stats can be misleading. Yes, Fletcher, Vilma, and Thomas are all good players and vitalely important to their teams, but their stats are padded by not having talent around them. To stand out on defense like the Bears is impressive to say the least. Also, to say there is a better linebacker in the game today would be purley to play the "devil's advocate". Another good couple of seasons and will should easily be considered a top 10 LB of all time, thus an eventual HOFer.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                If Urlacher is overated I challenge anyone to name a MLB in the game today better than him.

Before I say this, understand that I believe Urlacher is the best MIKE in the game.

Having that said, I think he's overrated in a sense that he could be even better than he is, IF he only had a brain (duh duhadada [lame attempt at singing the Wizard of Oz]).

Urlacher does not call the plays, line up his teammates or call defensive audibles. I believe Mike Brown holds those responsibilities. I could be wrong though, and if I am, heck, Urlacher still doesn't do a good job at it. He is not a cerebral type linebacker. He gets by too much on his pure athleticism. I see him take the wrong angle many times, but he just happens to save himself and make an "incredible" play by thrusting his body back into the proper area and making a play. Thats all fine and dandy now, but he won't have that forever, and he will fall off HARD when he loses it. He has all the physical tools, but he has no brains to go with it.

I think Vilma can overtake him in a couple of years easily. He has the instincts and the brain. But Urlacher will fall off just like Ray Lewis. But unlike Lewis, his dropoff will be even worse because he won't have any instincts to fall back on.
                Um Brian Urlacher has called the plays. He is the one that calls for all the defensive audibles. He is the one that the coach gave the QB wrist to. Also, Brian Urlacher has great instincts. I have no idea where you are getting this from. He puts up great numbers year in and year out, even with all the talent around him. There is no LB faster then him. Turn on a Bears game once in a while, because quite honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Originally posted by freddygoombatts
                  IMO, Urlacher and Peppers have a distinct line drawn behind them as the two best defensive players in the game.

I think some people get "great tackle machines" mixed up with "great linebackers". Urlacher can make game changing plays and can single handely take games over. That is what GREAT players do, in other words...stats can be misleading. Yes, Fletcher, Vilma, and Thomas are all good players and vitalely important to their teams, but their stats are padded by not having talent around them. To stand out on defense like the Bears is impressive to say the least. Also, to say there is a better linebacker in the game today would be purley to play the "devil's advocate". Another good couple of seasons and will should easily be considered a top 10 LB of all time, thus an eventual HOFer.
                  I'd put Champ Bailey in that category also. He is the best corner in all of football.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Comment

Vilma has not been anything close top a playmaker these last two years. I don't see how on Earth anyone can say that he is a top 10 linebacker or be better than Urlacher. He just makes all of his tackles 6-7 yards downfield.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey Joe
                      Originally posted by freddygoombatts

I'd put Champ Bailey in that category also. He is the best corner in all of football.
                      Ok...i guess Champ can come to....

Comment

Um Brian Urlacher has called the plays. He is the one that calls for all the defensive audibles. He is the one that the coach gave the QB wrist to. Also, Brian Urlacher has great instincts. I have no idea where you are getting this from. He puts up great numbers year in and year out, even with all the talent around him. There is no LB faster then him. Turn on a Bears game once in a while, because quite honestly, you have no idea what you are talking about.

no doubt i think the top three are wilson,urlacher,lewis in no order..and urlacher is probably on the top of the list...but i can name a hand full mabey 2 of LBs faster then urlacher 2 being on the broncos...in williams and gold and possibly wilson as all of them run in the 4.45 range

Comment

How did Vick not win?

Comment

Originally posted by cardsalltheway
                            How did Vick not win?
                            Because actual NFL players don't think he is overrated.

Comment

I firmly believe that the Falcons will never be able to beat us so long as Vick is their QB and Urlacher is our MLB. Urlacher's speed completely neutralizes Vick and containes his ability to run. I really only have two games to reinforce this, but in both games he was shut down.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Ok, I could be wrong there in terms of calling plays. But I am right in him not being an entirely bright fellow. Don't be blinded by his speed and athleticism. Prior to the implementation of Cover 2, Urlacher had repeatedly taken the wrong gaps and bad angles. Cover 2 was perfect for him because he gets to drop in a zone and just defend whatever comes in his way. Its also kept him relatively healthy keeping him farther away from the LOS. But I see many times he's not in the right spot, but because he's so athletically gifted, he's able to recuperate and make a play on the ball. That is great right now, but when you lose your speed, you gotta rely on your brains and instincts. Urlacher's is not elite in those categories.

You'll see in due time. Ive already stated he's the best in the league. But he clearly is not the smartest. I can name 5 MIKEs smarter than him. He just happens to be a hell of a lot faster.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information