Predict the Playoffs Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    Awfully, I know you're new here, but we don't call the Cowboys "America's Team". This is a self-serving, douchebag thing that they made up themselves. Going forward, please refrain from encouraging them.
    Actually this is not true. They don't make this thing up themselves, it was Bob Ryan, the vice-president and editor in Chiefs of NFL films who called the Cowboys America's Team. These were his words in 1978:

After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television. If you think back, there has always been one team in each sport that has support from fans nationwide: the Yankees in baseball, Notre Dame in college football, the Boston Celtics in pro basketball. They are all America's teams. So I put that name on the Cowboys' film, and in 1979 the TV announcer for their first game introduced the Cowboys as 'America's Team.' They took a lot of heat for it, but it stuck. Later other clubs like the Atlanta Braves and the U.S. Olympic hockey team have tried to call themselves 'America's Team.' But that name belongs to the Cowboys.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
      Actually this is not true. They don't make this thing up themselves, it was Bob Ryan, the vice-president and editor in Chiefs of NFL films who called the Cowboys America's Team. These were his words in 1978:

After the '78 season, the Cowboys had just lost a crushing Super Bowl to the Steelers. I wanted to come up with a different twist on their team highlight film. I noticed then, and had noticed earlier, that wherever the Cowboys played, you saw people in the stands with Cowboys jerseys and hats and pennants. Plus, they were always the national game on television. If you think back, there has always been one team in each sport that has support from fans nationwide: the Yankees in baseball, Notre Dame in college football, the Boston Celtics in pro basketball. They are all America's teams. So I put that name on the Cowboys' film, and in 1979 the TV announcer for their first game introduced the Cowboys as 'America's Team.' They took a lot of heat for it, but it stuck. Later other clubs like the Atlanta Braves and the U.S. Olympic hockey team have tried to call themselves 'America's Team.' But that name belongs to the Cowboys.
      I don't care about the story behind the "America's Team" label. What makes you think that anyone cares? I think it's self-serving, elitist, rude, and a prime example of extreme douchebaggery. I don't think any team should put itself above any other team in the NFL, let alone anything else. It is plain crummy behavior, and it sets a bad example for everyone else.

For further details, please see this post: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25
      Last edited by bsaza2358; 04-17-2007, 05:09 PM.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I don't care about the story behind the "America's Team" label. I think it's self-serving, elitist, rude, and a prime example of douchebaggery. I don't think any team should put itself above anything else. For further details, please see this post: http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25
        I think you have to care about it, instead. Because it's very different to say that they call themselves America's Team (as you call yourself america's poster) or that someone call them America's Team with a reason. And that one was the director in chief of NFL films, and he explained why he believed that name belongs to the Cowboys.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

My God, BBD, great minds think alike. Either that, or you saw me put Houston in as a wild card and your a poser.

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
            I think you have to care about it, instead. Because it's very different to say that they call themselves America's Team (as you call yourself america's poster) or that someone call them America's Team with a reason. And that one was the director in chief of NFL films, and he explained why he believed that name belongs to the Cowboys.
            I call myself America's Poster to show the sheer ludicrousness of the Cowboys calling themselves America's Team. I don't care if Buddha came down from the Moon and declared it on his blog for all the world to see. The Pope could wear an "America's Team" sweatshirt, and it wouldn't matter. The UN could put together a binding resolution, and it would make zero difference.

I personally consider it an affront to every US Olympic Athlete and those playing every sport everywhere for this particular franchise to call itself America's Team. It is plain rude and disrespectful. The Cowboys' history isn't that impressive that they should even have the title, but that's a completely different story.
            Last edited by bsaza2358; 04-17-2007, 05:15 PM.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

NFC- Eagles, Saints, Seahwaks, Bears, *Falcons, *Cowboys
              AFC- Patriots, Colts, Chargers, Ravens, *Titans, *Broncos

*= Wildcard

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                My God, BBD, great minds think alike. Either that, or you saw me put Houston in as a wild card and your a poser.
                Did you really? I swear I didn't see it. I just skipped everything and went straight to the end of the thread to post my post. Im guessing you feel the same way for the same reasons?

Its not as farfetched as people think. Lol, imagine if our threads wind up being identical. That would be funny.

Comment

BBD and Shiver... separated at birth. Reunited by love of the NFL Draft.

It could be a really bad reality show that is picked up by the DirecTV Access channel or Fox Reality.

Comment

BBD and Shiver... separated at birth. Reunited by love of the NFL Draft.

It could be a really bad reality show that is picked up by the DirecTV Access channel or Fox Reality.
                    Hmmm, if we send the idea to Fox, we just might get our own show, lol.

Shiver must be pissed. He says it first, then I come by 2 pages later, say the same thing, and I get credit for saying it, lol. Im like the enemy HC from Waterboy, stealing Fonz's playbook and taking all the credit for it, lol.

Comment

Well they did finish the season 6-7. With wins over the Jaguars twice, and against the Colts. Three of those losses came by one possession. They started out horribly while they adjusted to the scheme.

They have a young defense, with a lot of talent. They're going to improve by default, just because of experience.

Their offense is going to improve just by two moves; replacing Carr with Schaub. Who I think is a major improvement. As well as adding Ahman Green to the mix at RB. They have also bolstered the O-Line depth, and will surely add more in the draft.

Jerome Mathis is a impact returner, who will be healthy this year.

I really, really like Gary Kubiak as the head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        Im like the enemy HC from Waterboy, stealing Fonz's playbook and taking all the credit for it, lol.
                        Haha I hate that guy.

Comment

NFC

East - Eagles
                          West - Seahawks
                          North - Bears
                          South - Saints
                          Wilcards - Cowboys, Panthers

AFC

East - Patriots
                          West - Chargers
                          North - Bengals
                          South - Colts
                          Wildcards - Ravens, Jaguars

Sig by Ctmagic24

Comment

afc

1. patriots
                            2. colts
                            3. broncos
                            4. bengals
                            5. chargers
                            6. jets

(sorry ravens, steelers, and chiefs)

nfc

1. saints
                            2. eagles
                            3. bears
                            4. panthers
                            5. 49ers
                            6. buccaneers

(sorry seahawks, cardinals, and cowboys)

Comment

Dude, since Houston came into the league, here are the breakdowns of division championships:

New England (5)
                              Indianapolis (4)
                              Philadelphia (4)
                              Green Bay (3)
                              Pittsburgh (2)
                              Baltimore (2)
                              Tampa Bay (2)
                              San Diego (2)

Really, with the exception of the Pats, Colts, and Eagles, there is parity everywhere. Only the Pats and Colts have made the playoffs each of the last 5 years. Everywhere else, there is parity. Most NFL teams rise and fall from year to year. It is not out of the question for the Saints to miss the playoffs. The NFC South is a competitive division. There is no guarantee that the Saints will have any additional success.
                              Hold on, I'm not contending anything that you just said. I never have and never will. I know that there are no guarantees each year, and I'm aware that there is parity everywhere.

I just think it's a little absurd, when discussing why you think a team will or will not make the playoffs, to bring up the fact that a division that has been in existence for only 5 short years has never had a back-to-back champion, as if that holds any real significance. It's coincidence, borderline superstitious, and downright silly. If no NFC South team has won the division in back to back seasons 15 years from now, then I'd start to get a little suspicious.

Anyway, that wasn't even my point. My homerism came shining through, I guess... I just think that RIGHT NOW, at this very moment, the Saints have to be considered one of the 6 best teams in the NFC. I don't think I'm being too ridiculous in saying that they're probably top 3 in the NFC. I understand that these are predictions and really mean nothing at all; I just don't see any logic behind predicting teams like San Francisco, Washington, Atlanta, Green Bay, and Arizona to make the playoffs over the Saints, at this point.
                              The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

By the way, here are mine, if anybody wants to pick em apart :)

AFC
                                East - New England
                                West - Denver
                                North - Baltimore
                                South - Indianapolis
                                Wild Card - San Diego
                                Wild Card - Jacksonville

NFC
                                East - Philadelphia
                                West - St. Louis
                                North - Chicago
                                South - New Orleans
                                Wild Card - Seattle
                                Wild Card - Carolina

Eh, I guess I didn't really go out on a huge limb. In total, 8 out of 12 made the playoffs last year. *shrug*
                                The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information