Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offensive lineman drafted in the 1st round.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Offensive lineman drafted in the 1st round.

    Debate on another board I'm on. Are offensive lineman worth taking in the 1st round or are do they take away from other needs and can be gotten in later rounds?

    Since recent Super Bowl teams have at least one first round stud on their offensive line while teams who draft offensive line low (Cleveland, Dallas, Houston) tend to struggle despite the talent they have at the skilled positions.

  • #2
    They are for sure worth taking in the first but I must say my Chiefs have had alot of luck finding them in later rounds but they are worth the risk for sure.

    Comment


    • #3
      Absolutely. Id draft linemen the first 3 rounds and build my skill positions in rounds 4-6. Skill position players are overrated. It all starts with the lines. I draft dline and linebackers on d in the first 3 rounds, and oline and qb in the first 3 rounds on offense. WRs, CBs, S, RBs can all be had in the later rounds with great value.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Offensive lineman drafted in the 1st round.

        Originally posted by eacantdraft
        Debate on another board I'm on. Are offensive lineman worth taking in the 1st round or are do they take away from other needs and can be gotten in later rounds?

        Since recent Super Bowl teams have at least one first round stud on their offensive line while teams who draft offensive line low (Cleveland, Dallas, Houston) tend to struggle despite the talent they have at the skilled positions.
        There are only so many big guys in every draft, and they go quickly. If you're in the top 10 and a quality big guy is available, you better take him. Six-foot, 190-pound wide receivers are a dime a dozen, but 6-6, 320-pound men who are athletic and can run are rare.

        Comment


        • #5
          The game is won in the trenches.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by bigbluedefense
            Absolutely. Id draft linemen the first 3 rounds and build my skill positions in rounds 4-6. Skill position players are overrated. It all starts with the lines. I draft dline and linebackers on d in the first 3 rounds, and oline and qb in the first 3 rounds on offense. WRs, CBs, S, RBs can all be had in the later rounds with great value.
            QFT but with a caveat. if i'm running a system like denver's or atlanta's that's based on speed, i'll take my tackles in the first, but i'll wait on interior linemen.

            if i'm on a traditional team, line is the absolute first priority no matter what.

            Comment


            • #7
              I don't see why they wouldn't be worth first round value. I hate to use cliches` but games are won in the trenches.

              Although Bill Parcells did pretty well for himself and he never took any linemen early in the draft if I remember.

              Comment


              • #8
                IMO for OL only OTs and absolute monster guards are first rounder worthy.

                That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

                Comment


                • #9
                  The Eagles have taken offensive linemen at various stages in the draft. All of their current starters are homegrown, except for Runyan, who they signed in 2000.

                  Line:

                  LT: William Thomas (First Round, 1998)
                  LG: Todd Herremens (4th Round, 2005)
                  C: Jamaal Jackson (Undrafted, 2003)
                  RG: Shawn Andrews (First Round, 2004)
                  RT: John Runyan (Free Agent, 2000, former first day pick)

                  Backups:

                  Scott Young (5th Round, 2004), Winston Justice (2nd Round, 2006), Max Jean-Gilles (4th Round, 2006), Pat McCoy (Undrafted, 2006), Nick Cole (Undrafted, 2006)



                  I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    But yes, it is worth it to draft the right players for OLine in the first round. There are franchise players at pretty much every position. Some positions require more ability to become first round grade (K, P, OG, S), but if a guy can play, he should be taken where he is valued. Linemen go in round 1 every year. It's just the way things go. Many pan out and a few bust. Same with every position. Linemen get less attention, so people remember overhyped players from other positions more.



                    I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The Eagles OL kinda shows what I am saying, OT and absolute monster guard, aka Shawn Andrews, Justin Blalock.

                      That is correct comahan
                      I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                      <3 dg

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by draftguru151
                        The Eagles OL kinda shows what I am saying, OT and absolute monster guard, aka Shawn Andrews, Justin Blalock.
                        They also got a second tier (but very solid) OT in Tra Thomas back in the day. His replacement, Winston Justice, was an early second rounder and could have gone in the first...



                        I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I think you can get linemen all over the place. I think in some drafts, the o-linemen who you think you can turn into somebody are all rated very high. SAometimes you see a guy down later that you think you can make into a good player. You need to do some of both IMO. Wherever the guys you want are, take 'em there. For example, this year, Dallas got a guy named Pat McQuistan in the 7th round. They liked him, and got him where he was supposed to be. This year in camp, he impressed, and now there are talks that he might be the future at LT.

                          BoneKrusher

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hall of Famers at every position can come in any round. Sometimes it's a clear cut situation (Walter Jones, Ogden), and sometimes it's a later round choice that pays off (Larry Allen).



                            I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Games are won and lost in the trenches.
                              Originally posted by Paul
                              Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                              Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                              These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                              MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X

                              Debug Information