No announcement yet.

Urlacher fined

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bigdawg cracks me up. Only he could make a painful statement that I made even more painful, yet still amazingly amusing to me. Bravo.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
      Bigdawg cracks me up. Only he could make a painful statement that I made even more painful, yet still amazingly amusing to me. Bravo.
      *Takes bow and graciously accepts the kudos*

Although I don't have a speech prepared for this its only fitting to say a few words. I aim to please seems to about cover it I think.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

I think you should quit while you're ahead.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I think you should quit while you're ahead.
          Yeah that previous post felt as though I was overstaying my welcome as it were.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job
          Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Comment

Gatorade pays the NFL like $61,000,000 a year for the rights to be the official sports drink of the league. Of that $61m, 60% goes to the players and is distributed amongst the players.

$36,600,000 to the players, on average that's over $20k per player. While that might not be a lot to Urlacher who is getting six, maybe seven, figures from Vitamin Water that is a big deal to the players who can't get endorsement deals like that.

Essentially if anything Urlacher was screwing over his teammates and fellow players.

Comment

Originally posted by iGAMEFACE View Post
              Gatorade pays the NFL like $61,000,000 a year for the rights to be the official sports drink of the league. Of that $61m, 60% goes to the players and is distributed amongst the players.

$36,600,000 to the players, on average that's over $20k per player. While that might not be a lot to Urlacher who is getting six, maybe seven, figures from Vitamin Water that is a big deal to the players who can't get endorsement deals like that.

Essentially if anything Urlacher was screwing over his teammates and fellow players.
              That BASTARD! DEATH TO URLACHER!

*For the record I'm not a Packers fan*

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Thanks for the info, iGAME, but I don't think it has any legitimate impact. Gatorade is paying to keep other sponsors out of the market. Vitamin Water found a way around, and it was essentially fair game. Urlacher wearing a Vitamin Water hat doesn't affect anyone else. Gatorade isn't going to pull its sponsorship or lessen its contribution. All of the players are getting their money, and they will continue to get more. This is a tiny blip.

All in all, Gatorade is the industry leader, and it will continue to be as long as it markets itself well. Vitamin Water has zero chance of overtaking Gatorade in the next 15 years. This really means nothing. The fact that it's a huge deal to the NFL just helps out Vitamin Water and doesn't hurt anyone else, except maybe Gatorade a little.

Comment

Thanks for the info, iGAME, but I don't think it has any legitimate impact. Gatorade is paying to keep other sponsors out of the market. Vitamin Water found a way around, and it was essentially fair game. Urlacher wearing a Vitamin Water hat doesn't affect anyone else. Gatorade isn't going to pull its sponsorship or lessen its contribution. All of the players are getting their money, and they will continue to get more. This is a tiny blip.

All in all, Gatorade is the industry leader, and it will continue to be as long as it markets itself well. Vitamin Water has zero chance of overtaking Gatorade in the next 15 years. This really means nothing. The fact that it's a huge deal to the NFL just helps out Vitamin Water and doesn't hurt anyone else, except maybe Gatorade a little.

*Roots for the underdog like a typical American*

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

It doesn't matter if VW can take over Gatorade.

As a former owner of a marketing and advertising company I know these companies value their dollars, they put together strategic plans on how to spend money, how much to spend, etc. They want to make sure they're getting their money's worth and are getting exactly what they're supposed to get.

As a consumer, which Gatorade is with the NFL, would you be happy if you paid plasma screen prices for an old non-flat tube TV?

Comment

This whole incident essentially means nothing, other than Vitamin Water guaranteed itself some solid publicity for the next week or so. Also, I assume that the NFL will not forget this incident, so there will be a bunch of barriers if they would ever seek to become the NFL's sponsor. I don't even consider it news.

Comment

Before Vitamin water even gets a chance to sniff Gatorade's jock, they will either come out with their own vitamin waters (if they haven't already), or simply buy Vitamin Water.

Its hard beating the bully on the block.

Comment

This whole incident essentially means nothing, other than Vitamin Water guaranteed itself some solid publicity for the next week or so. Also, I assume that the NFL will not forget this incident, so there will be a bunch of barriers if they would ever seek to become the NFL's sponsor. I don't even consider it news.
                          The NFL's deal with Gatorade runs through 2012, so it would be a while before Vitamin Water could even potentially put in a bid. That said VW is at their max of 5 NFL players before they'd have to apply for a NFL Group License, they have no intention to do so and are content with their 5 players. They have other deals with 50 cent, Kelly Clarkson, David Wright, Kasey Kahne, etc.

They just signed Shaq to a deal and are releasing 32oz Shaq Vitamin Waters...

Comment

Gatorade - the Microsoft of the Sports Drink market, if your company is a threat they'll buy you. :D

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Originally posted by iGAMEFACE View Post
                              It doesn't matter if VW can take over Gatorade.

As a former owner of a marketing and advertising company I know these companies value their dollars, they put together strategic plans on how to spend money, how much to spend, etc. They want to make sure they're getting their money's worth and are getting exactly what they're supposed to get.

As a consumer, which Gatorade is with the NFL, would you be happy if you paid plasma screen prices for an old non-flat tube TV?
                              As a finance and marketing major who does work with multibillion dollar clientelle, I certainly understand this situation. Gatorade is paying a huge price for exclusivity, but the brand building and overall market share they get out of the NFL relationship makes it worth it. Their market share and continued dominance is based on brand image, excellent advertising, and some continued product development. This particular issue is not that significant. Gatorade's image is not hurt in the least. They still have their contract with the NFL, and they still have the brand image. VW did not steal their image or hurt them in any way. This was a small problem in their overall strategy. VW did not fight fair, but the NFL's fining Urlacher $100k for the violation made it a worthy piece of news. The NFL coming down so hard on Urlacher for wearing the hat is a testament to their commitment to Gatorade.

To correctly use the plasma TV analogy: This is the equivalent of you spending a lot on a plasma TV, only to have a tiny chip out of the screen. You call the customer service hotline, and they smooth out the error, then fine the line worker who caused the chip.

Comment

I love the so-called "outrage" about the amount of the fine, eventhough its the standard fine for such an incident at the Super Bowl as per NFL policy.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information