No announcement yet.

Future Hall of Famers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Tiki doesn't get in, then Alexander sure as heck shouldn't. At no point in Alexander's career was his peak more dominant than Tikis.

I think Tiki is borderline, but I don't see it with Alexander. This isn't the PB, this is the Hall. They don't just let all the PBers in.

The only surefire HOFer I see from the current RB bunch playing today is LDT. Thats it. And with more RBBC, you'll probably see a dropoff in the # of eligible RBs the next 5 or so years.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
      I guess we'll just have to see how he does in 2007 and 2008.
      Agreed. He is on his way and has a nice base to work with, but I want to see him rebound and get back to the 1500/20 level before I put him in the Hall.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Shaun Alexander can't even be kept on the field in a lot situations because he is extremely limited in some of the finer underappreciated nuances of RB.

Comment

Jug, that may be true, but HOF voters really don't look at that or even remember. Players get into the HOF based on numbers, reputation, and those numbers and reputation compared to others in their era. No significant number of voters will take this into account when voting on the HOF.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
            I never said Alexander was unproductive. He has had several other injuries in his career besides the problems of 2006. His overall numbers are not incredibly consistent. If he goes and reels off 3 straight solid, pro bowl-type years, I will be convinced. He has had 2 dominant years, but he needs to show he is more than that before I will readily put him in as a likely HOF-er.

...so 5 straight years of 14+ TD's isn't consistent? 3 straight of 1400+ yards? LT can't say either of those yet, as his best is 3 straight of 14+ TD's and 2 straight 1400+ yards. Also, Alexander has only one year under 4 YPC, while LT has two.

LT is better than Alexander, but until this years injury, Alexander has been *very* consistent.

Comment

Alexander's yardage totals and TD's were consistent, but not consistently excellent. With LT, you have to also include his impact as a receiver out of the backfield. His total yards and YPC have been consistently higher, which is why he is widely considered a superior player. I'm not saying that Alexander is a bad player or is one who won't make the Hall. I'm just saying he can't be called a lock right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                If Tiki doesn't get in, then Alexander sure as heck shouldn't. At no point in Alexander's career was his peak more dominant than Tikis.

I think Tiki is borderline, but I don't see it with Alexander. This isn't the PB, this is the Hall. They don't just let all the PBers in.

The only surefire HOFer I see from the current RB bunch playing today is LDT. Thats it. And with more RBBC, you'll probably see a dropoff in the # of eligible RBs the next 5 or so years.
                The thing with Alexander is, he already has 107 total touchdowns, and 96 rushing touchdowns. Let's say he puts up 3 more years of a mediocre 10 rushing td's. That would put him in second all time for rushing TD's. If he also gets around 1200 yards per year for 3 more years, he'll be over 12 500 rushing yards. He's definitely not a lock, and not really that close, but he could be considered borderline if he puts up his old average of 1400 and 14 for two more years, and then puts up a mediocre 1200 and 10 for one year.

Comment

The one thing about Alexander is that he just has that unbelievable nose for the end zone. Inside the 5 yard line he is probably the best in the NFL. More so than LT.

Comment

His total yards and YPC have been consistently higher, which is why he is widely considered a superior player.

Now that's simply not true.

tomlinson - 1603 total yards / 3.6 ypc / 10 TD's

Alexander - 1661 / 4.3 ypc / 16 TD's

Tomlinson - 2172 / 4.5 / 16

Alexander - 1635 / 4 / 17

Tomlinson - 2370 / 5.3 / 18

Alexander - 1730 / 4.4 / 17

Tomlinson - 1776 / 3.9 / 20

Alexander - 1886 / 4.8 / 20

Tomlinson - 1832 / 4.3 / 22

Alexander - 1958 / 5.1 / 28

Now, I'm not arguing that Alexander is better than LT, but *statistically*, LT and Alexander have been splitting years... with 2001, 2004, and 2005 going to Alexander, and 2002 and 2003 going to LT.

Comment

I have to say that I expected more resistance from you guys about the content of my HOF list. Is it possible that I just nailed the list in most cases?
                      I'll take a bite, just for the hell of it.

I think that Warren Sapp is more of a lock to make it into the Hall than Derrick Brooks. Brooks was the face of Tampa Bay's Superbowl team, but a lot of people really forget how absolutely dominant Sapp was in his prime. He was much, much more unique as a player.

I also don't think that Zach Thomas is going to sniff the Hall of Fame, simply because of the number of linebackers who are all borderline Hall worthy. If a guy like Randy Gradishar (an absolute tackling machine) hasn't made it yet, I don't see how Thomas will.

If Mike Vick can string together a few seasons of above average passing, I think he'll definitely be in serious Hall of Fame talks one day. People aren't going to look at him and vote on him as a quarterback, per se. Once his career's over, I think his total yards and touchdown numbers are going to be staggering. Plus, he's a revolutionary type of player.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                        The one thing about Alexander is that he just has that unbelievable nose for the end zone. Inside the 5 yard line he is probably the best in the NFL. More so than LT.

Which I'm suggesting gives him more of a chance of getting in than most people are willing to give him. 2nd all time in rushing touchdowns is a pretty big feat, especially since he'll have a pretty solid rushing yardage total, as well. He is by no means a lock, or even more than 50/50 at getting in, but I say he has a shot, especially if he manages to put up another big year or two.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post

Alexander has alot more TD's than Tiki, and he has an MVP. He has a better chance at getting into the Hall of Fame than Tiki if he has two or three more seasons of rushing for 1,000 yards. And I still give Tiki a better than 50/50 chance at getting in.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                            If Mike Vick can string together a few seasons of above average passing, I think he'll definitely be in serious Hall of Fame talks one day. People aren't going to look at him and vote on him as a quarterback, per se. Once his career's over, I think his total yards and touchdown numbers are going to be staggering. Plus, he's a revolutionary type of player.
                            I think Mike Vick needs to string together one great season before we even talk about him as a top 10 QB in the game today. He is so far away from the Hall discussion right now, it's not even funny. He is an amazing athletic talent, but he hasn't put the numbers up there when it matters. It's not all his fault, but his being in the Hall will depend on actual numbers. His numbers right now are absolute crap.

Comment

Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
                              Now that's simply not true.

Now, I'm not arguing that Alexander is better than LT, but *statistically*, LT and Alexander have been splitting years... with 2001, 2004, and 2005 going to Alexander, and 2002 and 2003 going to LT.
                              I think you have to consider that Alexander had Hutchinson and Jones to run behind, plus a very competent QB in Hasselbeck. For 2002 and 2003, what the heck did LT have in the form of an OLine, coaches, or QB play? Nothing. He put those numbers up in the tougher AFC in the very tough AFC West against 8 and 9 man fronts. LT is a better all around back than Alexander. It's just fact.

Comment

Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
                                Alexander has alot more TD's than Tiki, and he has an MVP. He has a better chance at getting into the Hall of Fame than Tiki if he has two or three more seasons of rushing for 1,000 yards. And I still give Tiki a better than 50/50 chance at getting in.
                                I don't think Tiki is Hall worthy right now. If he had stayed and played 2 more seasons at a high level, he'd be closer to a lock. By leaving with years of his prime still to go, he does not promote goodwill with the voters, and it affects his overall numbers.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information