Future Hall of Famers.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Hall of Famers.

I love how people think every player who is retiring and has played for a while is going into the Hall of Fame.

Unless you are a true superstar during your playing days, a player is not going to get into the Hall of Fame any time soon.

Football has a huge backlog of potential Hall of Famers as it is. Look at Art Monk and he hasn't gotten in yet. Harry Carson took years to get in to the point where he wanted his name withdrawn from consideration.

The Football Hall of Fame selection method needs some serious reforms. Only 39 people pick the Hall of Famers. Only a maximum of of 6 players can be picked every year. Plus the old timers selections push the backlog of eligable players even more. And expansion has created a bigger pool of more eligable players.

Unless you are Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Marvin Harrison, and maybe LaDanian Tomlinson (needs to play a few more season), there is no guarantee you will get in the first time, or even the second or third time.

This also means that players like Drew Bledsoe and Eddie George (despite what the homers and fangirls say) won't be getting in at all.

I don't get what your point is?

Comment

Originally posted by Moses View Post
      His point appears to be to *****, moan, groan, whine, cry, and complain and he seemed achieve all of them.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Originally posted by Job
      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

Comment

My point is everyone says this player and that player are a Hall of Famer and most of them aren't even going to get into the Hall of Fame. Certainly not with the election system set up the way it is now. Many worthy players aren't getting in, so how can unworthy candidates get in?

Comment

Originally posted by eacantdraft View Post
          My point is everyone says this player and that player are a Hall of Famer and most of them aren't even going to get into the Hall of Fame. Certainly not with the election system set up the way it is now. Many worthy players aren't getting in, so how can unworthy candidates get in?
          Thank you Captain Obvious!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job
          Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
            Thank you Captain Obvious!
            Captain Obvious! Fighting evil by playing into their flaws, but only the ones EVERYONE can see!

Anyways. If you wrote all that just to conclude that Drew Bledsoe won't make the Hall, you really should have used those calories to... I don't know get a beer and chill.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

IMO, current players who are HOF locks:

Derrick Brooks
              Ray Lewis
              Brett Favre
              Michael Strahan
              Champ Bailey
              Marvin Harrison
              Peyton Manning
              Tom Brady
              Larry Allen

Players who will certainly get in when all is said and done:

Tony Gonzalez
              LaDanian Tomlinson
              Brian Urlacher
              Warren Sapp
              Walter Jones
              Jonathan Ogden
              Orlando Pace
              Terrell Owens
              Kevin Mawae
              Zach Thomas

Note: I am putting down players with significant NFL service time who already have a legitimate HOF resume. Players like Shawn Alexander and Randy Moss need to prove more to me in terms of production before they can be considered stronger candidates for Canton. Younger guys like Shawne Merriman, Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. don't have the experience or the numbers to make it, so I didn't include them.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Oh wait, I apologize for "ruining" a really bad thread by discussing the actual proposed topic. Sorry fellas...

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                  Oh wait, I apologize for "ruining" a really bad thread by discussing the actual proposed topic. Sorry fellas...
                  Hang your head in shame "America's Poster"........SHAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Magical sig by OSUGiants

Originally posted by Job

Comment

Derrick Brooks
                    Ray Lewis
                    Brett Favre
                    Michael Strahan
                    Champ Bailey
                    Marvin Harrison
                    Peyton Manning
                    Tom Brady
                    Larry Allen

Tony Gonzalez
                    LaDanian Tomlinson
                    Brian Urlacher
                    Warren Sapp
                    Walter Jones
                    Jonathan Ogden
                    Orlando Pace
                    Terrell Owens
                    Kevin Mawae
                    Zach Thomas

Note: I am putting down players with significant NFL service time who already have a legitimate HOF resume. Players like Shawn Alexander and Randy Moss need to prove more to me in terms of production before they can be considered stronger candidates for Canton. Younger guys like Shawne Merriman, Reggie Bush, Larry Fitzgerald, etc. don't have the experience or the numbers to make it, so I didn't include them.
                    I don't see how you can put Brian Urlacher on that list. He doesn't have close to the requirements needed for a HOF linebacker. Randy Moss has more business in the HOF right now than Brian Urlacher.

Also, guys like Zach Thomas, Kevin Mawae, and Walter Jones likely will never make it.

Comment

I think Ogden is pretty close to a lock.

Comment

Derrick Brooks
                        Ray Lewis
                        Brett Favre
                        Michael Strahan
                        Champ Bailey
                        Marvin Harrison
                        Peyton Manning
                        Tom Brady
                        Larry Allen

Tony Gonzalez
                        LaDanian Tomlinson
                        Brian Urlacher
                        Warren Sapp
                        Walter Jones
                        Jonathan Ogden
                        Orlando Pace
                        Terrell Owens
                        Kevin Mawae
                        Zach Thomas

In five years Will Shields.

Comment

I don't see how you can put Brian Urlacher on that list. He doesn't have close to the requirements needed for a HOF linebacker. Randy Moss has more business in the HOF right now than Brian Urlacher.

Also, guys like Zach Thomas, Kevin Mawae, and Walter Jones likely will never make it.
                          When healthy, Urlacher has compliled excellent statistics. At this point in his career, he is considered the best MLB in the league, and he has been dominant the last 2 seasons. Given the amount of time he has been in the league, it is reasonable to say that with several more dominant and a few more productive seasons, Urlacher can make a case. Is he a first balloter? Absolutely not. He has a much better chance than you'd think.

Your second statement is painfully and horribly incorrect. Zach Thomas may have the weakest resume of all of the players I listed, but his production has been very impressive. When he retires, he will have over 1100 tackles, perhaps 1200. He may be a stat compiler, but he has a pretty strong case.

Kevin Mawae is one of the best Centers in the history of the NFL. He was the best at his position in the league from 1996-2004, and he was amazingly dominant. He was originally on my "locks" list.

Walter Jones would have been the best at his position most of his career, but he happened to be in the NFL when Ogden and Pace were in their primes. Jones is the best LT in the league right now, and he has a bunch more years to carry that mantle. He is a very likely Hall of Famer, but he has 3 more years of dominance and several more solid seasons to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
                            His point appears to be to *****, moan, groan, whine, cry, and complain and he seemed achieve all of them.
                            That looks about right

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                              I think Ogden is pretty close to a lock.
                              Basically, I think all the players on my list will get in. Zach Thomas might be a stretch, but his stats are impressive enough. Ogden and Pace were both incredible in their primes, though Tony Boselli was their equal before his shoulders imploded. Jones is as dominant now as those guys were.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information