• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splat
    started a topic All-Star team of second-round picks

All-Star team of second-round picks

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/morenews

QB -- Brett Favre (33rd overall, Atlanta, 1991), Drew Brees (32, San Diego, 2001)

RB -- Clinton Portis (51, Denver, 2002), Travis Henry (58, Buffalo, 2001), Maurice Jones-Drew (60, Jacksonville, 2006)

WR -- Chad Johnson (36, Cincinnati, 2001), Deion Branch (65, New England, 2002), Anquan Boldin (54, Arizona, 2003)

TE -- Alge Crumpler (35, Atlanta, 2001)

OT -- Chad Clifton (44, Green Bay, 2000) , Matt Light (48, New England, 2001)

G -- Chris Snee (34, New York Giants 2004), Eric Steinbach, (33, Cincinnati, 2003)

C -- Jeremy Newberry (58, San Francisco, 1998)

DE -- Michael Strahan, (40, New York Giants, 1993), Osi Umenyiora (56, New York Giants, 2003)

DT -- Shaun Rogers (61, Detroit, 2001), Kris Jenkins, (44, Carolina, 2001)

LB -- DeMeco Ryans (33, Houston, 2006), Mike Peterson (36, Indianapolis, 1999), Karlos Dansby (33, Arizona, 2004)

CB -- Dre' Bly (41, St. Louis, 1999), Rashean Mathis (37, Jacksonville, 2003)

S -- Brian Dawkins, (61, Philadelphia, 1996) Mike Brown (39, Chicago, 2000), Bob Sanders (44, Indianapolis, 2004).

P -- Todd Sauerbrun (56, Chicago, 1995)

K -- Mike Nugent (47, New York Jets, 2005)

Return -- Devin Hester (57, Chicago, 2006)

Dishonorable mention: Tank Johnson, (47, Chicago, 2004); Odell Thurman, (48, Cincinnati, 2005).

• portermvp84
    replied
    Not a bad list.

Leave a comment:

• Forenci
    replied
    Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Justin Tuck was a 3rd rounder. The Giants said they almsot pulled the trigger on him in round 2 and we pleasantly suprised to see him available in round 3.
    Was he? Could have swore we took him in the second round. He'd really be a steal if he wasn't injured so consistently.

Leave a comment:

• Jughead10
    replied
    Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
    What about Justin Tuck?
    Justin Tuck was a 3rd rounder. The Giants said they almsot pulled the trigger on him in round 2 and we pleasantly suprised to see him available in round 3.

Leave a comment:

replied
    Originally posted by DaBears9654 View Post
    This thread got me to thinking about the Bears' 2nd rounds since 2000.

2000: Mike Brown, S, Nebraska (#39 overall)--has had a solid career, except has also had a tendency to land on IR the last couple of years

2001: Anthony Thomas, RB, Michigan (#38)--was named Offensive ROY after supplanting James Allen after 4 games* and rushing for 1,183 yards, but faded since

2002: none

2003: Charles Tillman, CB, UL-Lafayette (#35)--has been a decent corner for Bears, but does occassionally have trouble vs. elite WR's

2004: Tank Johnson, DT, Washington (#47)--has only been able to crack the starting lineup due to injuries to others; has recently had legal issues

2005: Mark Bradley, WR, Oklahoma (#39)--was coming on strong as a rookie until tearing an ACL while making an insane catch vs. Detroit

2006: Danieal Manning, S, Abilene Christian (#42)--production-wise, seems on par with Bears teammate Chris Harris
    Devin Hester, CB/RS, Miami-FL (#57)--if there were such thing as a "Special Teams ROY," he easily would have won the award, returning 3 punts, 2 kickoffs, and a missed field goal for touchdowns in the regular season, and becoming the first to take the Super Bowl's opening kickoff to the house

* - if I'm inaccurate about that, please correct me, but I'm pretty sure it was the first 4 games that Allen started
    Good post. +rep

Leave a comment:

• DaBears9654
    replied
    This thread got me to thinking about the Bears' 2nd rounds since 2000.

2000: Mike Brown, S, Nebraska (#39 overall)--has had a solid career, except has also had a tendency to land on IR the last couple of years

2001: Anthony Thomas, RB, Michigan (#38)--was named Offensive ROY after supplanting James Allen after 4 games* and rushing for 1,183 yards, but faded since

2002: none

2003: Charles Tillman, CB, UL-Lafayette (#35)--has been a decent corner for Bears, but does occassionally have trouble vs. elite WR's

2004: Tank Johnson, DT, Washington (#47)--has only been able to crack the starting lineup due to injuries to others; has recently had legal issues

2005: Mark Bradley, WR, Oklahoma (#39)--was coming on strong as a rookie until tearing an ACL while making an insane catch vs. Detroit

2006: Danieal Manning, S, Abilene Christian (#42)--production-wise, seems on par with Bears teammate Chris Harris
    Devin Hester, CB/RS, Miami-FL (#57)--if there were such thing as a "Special Teams ROY," he easily would have won the award, returning 3 punts, 2 kickoffs, and a missed field goal for touchdowns in the regular season, and becoming the first to take the Super Bowl's opening kickoff to the house

* - if I'm inaccurate about that, please correct me, but I'm pretty sure it was the first 4 games that Allen started

Leave a comment:

• Forenci
    replied
    Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
    What about Justin Tuck?
    It's hard to say considering how many injuries he has sustained each year, not to mention the fact who knows if he'll be the same after his most recent injury.

He looked to be quite good in the 2005 season from the bits and pieces we all saw from him that year. Who knows though..

I am quite happy to see not only Strahan and Osi on the list, but Chris Snee. Might be one of the most underated offensive linemen in the league - of course, that might just be me..

Leave a comment:

• Vikes99ej
    replied
    Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    It looks like the Giants can draft DEs in round two pretty efficiently. Only one pick later and Kiwi would have been round 2 as well.
    What about Justin Tuck?

Leave a comment:

• OhioState
    replied
    gotta have marcus mcneil

Leave a comment:

• jagsfreak27
    replied
    Yeah MJD and Rashean Mathis

Leave a comment:

• asmitty45
    replied
    Shaun Rogers = Pride of Detroit, we should just trade our first away every year and only draft second rounders

Leave a comment:

• AdrianWilson12
    replied
    Originally posted by defensiveback23 View Post
    He is still young but Marcus McNeill played very well. Another Charger that was a second rounder is Jamal Williams. He was a supplemental pick in 98'.
    I didn't know Williams was a 2nd rounder. If thats the case he should be ahead of Griffin or Jenkins. Overall there haven't been many good 2nd round DT in recent years though.

Leave a comment:

• VoteLynnSwan
    replied
    Originally posted by steel man View Post
    what about the best MLB and toughest S.O.B. to ever play - Jack Lambert
    Yes... Jack Lambert is going to get off his old cripple ass and come and play professional football. These aren't the best 2nd round picks of all time, they're the best current players, why the hell do you think there isn't one former player on that list.

Leave a comment:

• BigDawg819
    replied
    Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
    Probably can be considered the best of all time, Ray Lewis in his prime would be up there though. I think people forget how good Lewis was a few years ago.

Its a "what have you done for me lately" league and the fans are no different. Ray in his prime was an animal, but lately with the increase in talent around him he doesn't get the numbers or press like he once did. Just as earlier in the thread someone was hating on Larry Allen and how he's past his prime and what not but as I recall he was a vital cog in that 49er offensive line that helped block for the incredible year Frank Gore had.

Leave a comment:

• bigbluedefense
    replied
    Originally posted by 255979119 View Post
    I have the utmost respect for him after seeing him demolish the best run stopping end in football. Richard Seymour.
    Seymour is the 2nd best run stopping end in football.

#1 is Michael Strahan. I can't ever recall anyone running at Strahan, and breaking a long run. While he's probably a top 10 pass rushing DE of all time (probably around 8 or 9 on the list), he's also arguably the 2nd/3rd best run stuffing DE in NFL history behind Reggie White/Deacon Jones.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information