Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Greatest football player ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by njx9
    actually, the All-Star game existed since 1939, two years after baugh's career started. what a joke that he he didn't make more before he was even playing. further, the "pro bowl" as it currently stands did NOT exist before 1971, and has NEVER been an accurate indicator of who the best players in the league are.

    meanwhile, sammy baugh was an NFL all-pro 6 times, was the only player ever to lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions in a single season and remains one of the best punters in nfl history.

    your argument is garbage.
    Was he the best player every single year he played the game? Yes or no.


    Comment


    • Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
      Was he the best player every single year he played the game? Yes or no.
      Go away you troll. Can I report his posts as an insult to intelligent thoughts?

      Magical sig by OSUGiants

      SSAEL....... its a new revolution!


      Originally posted by Job
      On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
      Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

      So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
        Was he the best player every single year he played the game? Yes or no.
        Well I mean, just so you know...
        Brown was voted MVP four times, meaning he wasn't the best player every single year himself....if pro bowl's are an indication of skill than MVP awards certainly should be too. Although he was a first-team NFL pick eight years, in 1962, he was not, which also means he was not always the best player. He also only played nine years, which is a limited and short career.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
          Go away you troll. Can I report his posts as an insult to intelligent thoughts?
          Hey, its a step up from the thread he started on if we should do away with the NFL draft...

          Comment


          • Originally posted by BigDawg819 View Post
            Go away you troll. Can I report his posts as an insult to intelligent thoughts?
            Troll? I'm not trolling, I'm debating a legit argument. But if yall would prefer to debate this topic without someone sticking up for Jim Brown, then fine, have fun having your Sammy Baugh - Barry Sanders debate.


            Comment


            • Originally posted by Non_Sequitur View Post
              Troll? I'm not trolling, I'm debating a legit argument. But if yall would prefer to debate this topic without someone sticking up for Jim Brown, then fine, have fun having your Sammy Baugh - Barry Sanders debate.
              No one is saying not to stick up for Jim Brown, we (or at least I) have a problem with you saying there is no debate at all...

              Now I'm interested in you proving Sammy Baugh as not the best player in the league his whole career. I won't pretend I know very much about Baugh's career, but I'd like to see you do it.

              Edit: Also, you've proved your own lack of knowledge on the subject. By acknowledgin this as a "legit debate" you've directly contradcited your prior statement that Brown is the clear-cut definite GOAT.

              I really hope you don't just leave the conversation though, now that you've kinda backed yourself into a corner.
              Last edited by JK17; 04-24-2007, 01:31 PM.

              Comment


              • Charles Follis - HB - 1902 (1st Black Player)

                Change the game forever

                Comment


                • Originally posted by njx9
                  still waiting.
                  I get the feeling you're not gonna get your answer...:p

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by njx9
                    actually, the All-Star game existed since 1939, two years after baugh's career started. what a joke that he he didn't make more before he was even playing. further, the "pro bowl" as it currently stands did NOT exist before 1971, and has NEVER been an accurate indicator of who the best players in the league are.

                    meanwhile, sammy baugh was an NFL all-pro 6 times, was the only player ever to lead the league in passing, punting and interceptions in a single season and remains one of the best punters in nfl history.

                    we won't even getinto the fact that baugh wasted a number of years playing baseball instead of football.

                    your argument is garbage.
                    Tom Brady didn't make the Pro-Bowl this season.. He's definitely a much worse QB than Vince Young.

                    Shenanigans.

                    Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

                    Comment


                    • I put Sammy Baugh in for a reason because in his era he was the best all around player by far.

                      You can argue whether he was the best QB of his time but he was the first QB past 20000 yards, 150 TD's, and the first QB to significantly complete well over 50% of his passes. Sid Luckman was a fine QB and played on the best team of that era, he is the only one who enters the argument, and he had 17 career picks as well. He never matched Baughs Six passing titles, but won four NFL titles to Baugh's two.

                      Baugh was the only player to retire in NFL history as the Career passing leader and Career Interception leader and oh yes the Career Punting Leader.

                      His career merits inclusion in this argument. Of course he was never the athlete Brown and Rice was, yet in his time his impact was as great as theirs.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by flave1969 View Post
                        I put Sammy Baugh in for a reason because in his era he was the best all around player by far.

                        You can argue whether he was the best QB of his time but he was the first QB past 20000 yards, 150 TD's, and the first QB to significantly complete well over 50% of his passes. Sid Luckman was a fine QB and played on the best team of that era, he is the only one who enters the argument, and he had 17 career picks as well. He never matched Baughs Six passing titles, but won four NFL titles to Baugh's two.

                        Baugh was the only player to retire in NFL history as the Career passing leader and Career Interception leader and oh yes the Career Punting Leader.

                        His career merits inclusion in this argument. Of course he was never the athlete Brown and Rice was, yet in his time his impact was as great as theirs.

                        That right there, especially from someone who sounds like they know a lot about Baughs career, would be undeniable proof that there is no 100% certain answer on this question...

                        Comment


                        • For me the "best Football Player ever" is John Elway...

                          Comment


                          • Most athletic Bo Jackson.
                            Best Jonny U.
                            "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

                            Comment


                            • Bronko Nagurski is the best. He is a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown. Only person to be All American at 2 different (non-kicking) positions in College - Defensive End and Fullback. Also, All Star at three posititions in the Pros - he played offensive line when he was too hurt to carry the ball. Original Monster of the Midway. His team absolutely dominated its era. 6'2" 235 pounds. 22 inch neck. size 19.5 ring. 3 time professional wrestling heavyweight champ.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Salami View Post
                                Bronko Nagurski is the best. He is a cross between Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown. Only person to be All American at 2 different (non-kicking) positions in College - Defensive End and Fullback. Also, All Star at three posititions in the Pros - he played offensive line when he was too hurt to carry the ball. Original Monster of the Midway. His team absolutely dominated its era. 6'2" 235 pounds. 22 inch neck. size 19.5 ring. 3 time professional wrestling heavyweight champ.
                                You are not going to get much love with this pick but I have a ton of respect for the reference. Old-timers say this guy was the best ever, bar none.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information