Greatest football player ever?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Johnny Unitas.

He revolutionized the most important position in the game of football, bringing the 2 minute drill, the audible, and many other new concepts to the game, threw for over 40,000 yards and nearly 300 TDs in an era which 30,000 yards and about 200 TDs was the standard for a HOF QB and those numbers were unheard of, won the Greatest Game Ever Played according to most NFL historians, which was also the game that basically put the NFL in the national consciousness (namely the 1958 NFL Championship Game), and holds a Joe DiMaggio-like record streak of 47 consecutive games with at least 1 TD pass, a streak which has not even come close to being rivaled.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
    <Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge

Comment

^^^You need a new sig Cato June is with us now :D

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

I say Jim Brown. He was an unstoppable force for the 10 years he played, and only retired because he got bored with football.

Jerry Rice is a pretty good second place, with Marino (I know he didn't win rings but thats really his defense's fault) a distant third.

Comment

Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
          If anybody, it's Tomlinson. And you know I mean that because I've sworn to hate him.
          As far as modern day players (like Tomlinson) being regarded as the best ever, what do you guys feel they would have to do?
          I'm not saying he is the greatest player, but do you think there is a lot more guys like that have to accomplish, or just time has to pass by before we appreciate how great they are?

In other words, do we just tend to look past their accomplishments because they are modern players, or because they are not as good?

Comment

Barry Sanders, Peyton Manning, Jerry Rice, Champ Bailey
            Bubba kush for breakfast, with my captain crunch
            I smoke ten blunts before lunch
            Gucci Mane

Comment

The ESPN experts voted on this a year or two ago, like 20 of their experts all ranked their top 10 players ever and points were awarded to each based on their ranking.

Jim Brown dominated, almost doubling the 2nd and 3rd place (which I think was Rice and Montana) guys.

Comment

Jim Brown
                Rice
                Montana
                Ronnie Lott - Defense
                my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Offense - Brett Favre / Jim Brown
                  Defense - Reggie White / Deacon Jones

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                    As far as modern day players (like Tomlinson) being regarded as the best ever, what do you guys feel they would have to do?
                    I'm not saying he is the greatest player, but do you think there is a lot more guys like that have to accomplish, or just time has to pass by before we appreciate how great they are?

In other words, do we just tend to look past their accomplishments because they are modern players, or because they are not as good?
                    He'll probably need to retire first. Then he can be looked at as potentially the best. It's the nostalgia facotr.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                    Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                    Originally posted by njx9
                    do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Tomlinson is gonna have to do a little more. Let's see how well his body can hold up etc. Right now, he's no different from Walter Payton. Can he surpass him? Maybe. But its too early to tell right now.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                        Tomlinson is gonna have to do a little more. Let's see how well his body can hold up etc. Right now, he's no different from Walter Payton. Can he surpass him? Maybe. But its too early to tell right now.
                        Originally posted by CutlerChris View Post
                        He'll probably need to retire first. Then he can be looked at as potentially the best. It's the nostalgia facotr.
                        Yeah, bascially how i feel is what you and cutlerchris said, but sometimes I get the sense that some of the older players, the Jim Browns, Sayers, etc. are given a lot more credit just because they played along time ago.

That's not a knock on them currently they are the best around, but sometimes it seems like people look past the amazing accomplishments modern day players have put up becuase they have had more strength and conditioning technologies, without recognizing that the competition they accomplish these things against has the same benefits.

Comment

Originally posted by JK17 View Post
                          Yeah, bascially how i feel is what you and cutlerchris said, but sometimes I get the sense that some of the older players, the Jim Browns, Sayers, etc. are given a lot more credit just because they played along time ago.

That's not a knock on them currently they are the best around, but sometimes it seems like people look past the amazing accomplishments modern day players have put up becuase they have had more strength and conditioning technologies, without recognizing that the competition they accomplish these things against has the same benefits.
                          Oh absolutely.

The thing is, you have to look at it in context.

How much did said player dominate his era? Thats the question you gotta ask.

And even if LT continues at his pace, I don't know if you can ever say that he dominated his era more than Brown did. Brown dominated the game in a way that will probably never be reproduced. LT did the same for defense.

But I think when the dust settles, Ladanian's name will definately be up there. Its just hard evaluating players careers while theyre still playing. Its like reading half of a novel, and writing a review of it.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                            Oh absolutely.

The thing is, you have to look at it in context.

How much did said player dominate his era? Thats the question you gotta ask.

And even if LT continues at his pace, I don't know if you can ever say that he dominated his era more than Brown did. Brown dominated the game in a way that will probably never be reproduced. LT did the same for defense.

But I think when the dust settles, Ladanian's name will definately be up there. Its just hard evaluating players careers while theyre still playing. Its like reading half of a novel, and writing a review of it.

Very true about the dominating era part, and for as great as guys like Tomlinson and Mannning are today, they all have players who have, well not been just as good, but given them competition (Carson Palmer, Tom Brady, Alexander, Larry Johnson).

I guess we'll just have to wait to the end of their careers to find out, but even then im sure there will be debate, and new, modern players, who will be pushing at their heels. The debate will just always go on in ciricles i'd imagine.

Comment

I'm not knocking Brown for this, but he was going against defenses that had 11 guys smaller than him.
                              my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
                              <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
                              <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
                              <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
                              Originally posted by Hermstheman83
                              What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by bored of education View Post
                                I'm not knocking Brown for this, but he was going against defenses that had 11 guys smaller than him.
                                Yeah, but that just shows you how ahead of his time he truely was from a physical standpoint.

You know who's a lost name in all these discussions of running backs?

Earl Campbell. The man was a monster, and he literally carried the entire offense all by himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information