No announcement yet.

4-3 vs. 3-4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks draftguru, you just gave me the perfect setup to rip into the Cover 2.

Cover 2 S UCKS

Defenses weren't meant to be wimpy. Those small quickies could get owned by the big overpowering olinemen I would build my offense around. Speed kills. Kills your run defense that is. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, any style defense who's major weakness is against the power run, and is built to stop the pass is not a good base defense. You cannot be an elite defense in this league either if you cannot play man coverage. And the small secondaries of the Cover 2 cannot hold up in their man assignments.

Cover 2 can't defend the TE entirely well either. And its too basic of a scheme. Come December when teams look at a year of tape and analyze your weaknesses, the Cover 2 scheme has no answer. Its too basic of a scheme, and you won't confuse any qbs with it.

Cover 2 can work, I won't deny that. But its just not my cup of tea. Theres too many inherit flaws in the philosophy. I grew up playing smashmouth football, and the Cover 2's philosophies go against most of the principles I grew up playing and believing in.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense

Cover 2 S UCKS

Defenses weren't meant to be wimpy. Those small quickies could get owned by the big overpowering olinemen I would build my offense around. Speed kills. Kills your run defense that is. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, any style defense who's major weakness is against the power run, and is built to stop the pass is not a good base defense. You cannot be an elite defense in this league either if you cannot play man coverage. And the small secondaries of the Cover 2 cannot hold up in their man assignments.

Cover 2 can't defend the TE entirely well either. And its too basic of a scheme. Come December when teams look at a year of tape and analyze your weaknesses, the Cover 2 scheme has no answer. Its too basic of a scheme, and you won't confuse any qbs with it.

Cover 2 can work, I won't deny that. But its just not my cup of tea. Theres too many inherit flaws in the philosophy. I grew up playing smashmouth football, and the Cover 2's philosophies go against most of the principles I grew up playing and believing in.
      yah thats what oakland though in the superbowl about Tampa. :roll:
      of course i blame gruden,sims,and that idiot barrett robins.
      "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

by choice?

3-4

only fault is with not many colleges running it, and the ones that do don't have great players consistantly (Maryland with Merriman, Brooks/Parham from Virginia...)

Which leads to alot of subpar players sometimes and busts (See Jackson, Alonzo)

It's hard to project who is a clear cut LB and who could pull it off the best.

Which is why the 3-4 leads to fewer busts, because it's a system 98% of colleges use.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
          Originally posted by bigbluedefense

Cover 2 S UCKS

yah thats what oakland though in the superbowl about Tampa. :roll:
          of course i blame gruden,sims,and that idiot barrett robins.
          You guys lost that SB because Tampa knew every play you were running. Lynch even said so. That was Gruden's playbook. Gruden taught Tampa's D everything they needed to know and the Bucs knew what the play was before the hike. It was like shooting fish in a bucket, Oakland had no chance.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991
            I would like a 4-3 with 2 gigantic run stuffers in the middle and 2 good non-stop pass rushers.
            Same here. I like size on the d-line so they can just manhandle people in the trenches.
            Originally posted by njx9
            i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.

Comment

Cover 2 can work amazingly against any style of football if you have the right personnel.

Comment

Originally posted by Moses
                Cover 2 can work amazingly against any style of football if you have the right personnel.
                So can any scheme.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

3-4... IMO it's easier to find a playmaking LB than a second solid DT. Plus I like the additional speed and different ways of rushing the passer you can use.

It's a shame we had to promote LeBeau to HC and give him the boot after sucking

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
                    Originally posted by Moses
                    So can any scheme.
                    True, I'm just saying that Cover 2 isn't as bad as some people here seem to think.

Comment

In a 3-4 could 3 big 340+ d-lineman work well?

Comment

Originally posted by Ravens1991
                        In a 3-4 could 3 big 340+ d-lineman work well?
                        Unlikely, DEs would probably be way to unathletic to help against outside runs so it'd be that sides OLB and maybe ILB trying to stop a FB, TE and maybe a pulling guard.

Comment

As for the 4-3 over i was invisioning it'd be something like this

LE - Will Smith
                          NT - Shaun Rogers
                          UT - Tommie Harris
                          RE - Alex Brown
                          SLB - DeMarcus Ware (I think he is good enough in coverage to be a fit here)

MLB - Antonio Pierce
                          WLB - Mike Peterson

IMO that's somewhat reasonable with a cap and gives everything i'd want, a SLB who's a beast on the blitz and can dominate the pass and run.
                          A NT who can eat blocks but also make plays with quickness.
                          A UT who is constantly in the backfield.
                          A LE who can throw RTs around with speed and power.
                          A RE who is just sick off the edge with speed.
                          And then two MLB types cleaning up everything the front 5 doesn't take out.

Comment

Must've been CGF?

Comment

This how I like my 4-3s

DT-1 big 350+ DT.
                              DT-A big guy in the 300-315 range who could play DE
                              DE-A Trevor Pryce like player who can get 7+ sacks and can play DE in a 4-3 and a 3-4 along w/ a 4-3 DT.
                              DE-A good speed rusher who could also drop back in coverage
                              SLB- A beast that is big and can blitz and cover and so on like a OLB
                              MLB- A team leader, a side line to side line ball hawk, but can also cover the TE in case the SLB blitzes
                              WLB- A player that will usually cover a RB out of the backfield

DE-Trevor Pryce
                              DT-Shaun Rogers
                              DT-Richard Seymour
                              DE-Terrell Suggs/Demarcus Ware and so on
                              SLB-Adalius Thomas
                              MLB-Brian Urlacher
                              WLB-Mike Peterson

with this we could possibly go to a 3-4 looking like this

DE-Trevor Pryce
                              DT-Shaun Rogers
                              DE-Richard Seymour
                              OLB-T-sizzle/Demarcus Ware and so on
                              MLB-Brian Urlacher
                              MLB-Mike Peterson
                              OLB-Adalius Thomas

I shall admit I am a little biased w/ the Ravens players since I dont get to key in on players abilities and weaknesses as I can w/ the Ravens.
                              WLB-

Comment

Whichever works best.

by BoneKrusher
                                <DG> how metal unseen
                                <TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information