4-3 vs. 3-4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by thetedginnshow
    Adalius Thomas is a beast. Even more versatile than the great Jason Taylor, and I think he weighs more too.

Anyway, I'd go for the 4-3. Never really been a fan of the 3-4, unless teams use it sparingly or you're Dallas where I just happen to like most of their players. I just think a dominant front seven in the 4-3 is better than the same in a 3-4.
    He still can't do the things Jason does, and the only position he lines up at that JT doesn't is safety, which Thomas doesn't do that much.

That is correct comahan
    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
    <3 dg

Comment

• Originally posted by draftguru151
      Originally posted by thetedginnshow
      Adalius Thomas is a beast. Even more versatile than the great Jason Taylor, and I think he weighs more too.

Anyway, I'd go for the 4-3. Never really been a fan of the 3-4, unless teams use it sparingly or you're Dallas where I just happen to like most of their players. I just think a dominant front seven in the 4-3 is better than the same in a 3-4.
      He still can't do the things Jason does, and the only position he lines up at that JT doesn't is safety, which Thomas doesn't do that much.
      Taylor lines up at CB? But yeah. I love Jason Taylor, but really, he can do things Adalius can't at DE, and Adalius can do things he can't just about everywhere else. Both are beasts though.
      Ohio State Buckeyes Duke Blue Devils New York Jets St. Louis Cardinals San Jose Sharks Seattle Mariners

Comment

• Adalius playing CB is blown up too much because all he really does is play LB really wide, all he does is jam the receiver and play the flats.

Really though, imagine if Miami signs him in the offseason to play SLB. That would be ridiculous.

That is correct comahan
        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
        <3 dg

Comment

Adalius playing CB is blown up too much because all he really does is play LB really wide, all he does is jam the receiver and play the flats.
          Really though, imagine if Miami signs him in the offseason to play SLB. That would be ridiculous.

He actually played man-to-man against Chad Johnson

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mas/index.html

He is a beast, if he gets into a permanant 3-4 D he will be a DPOY candidate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991
            Originally posted by draftguru151
            Adalius playing CB is blown up too much because all he really does is play LB really wide, all he does is jam the receiver and play the flats.

He actually played man-to-man against Chad Johnson

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...mas/index.html

He is a beast, if he gets into a permanant 3-4 D he will be a DPOY candidate.
            That is exactly what I said, he jams the receiver. :?

That is correct comahan
            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
            <3 dg

Comment

• It said he was man to man against him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ravens1991
                It said he was man to man against him.
                Still all he did was jam him. It isn't hard to do man to man against a guy when you throw him to the sideline. If it was man to man and CJ got off the line Thomas would have been burnt. I would take JT one on one with CJ over Thomas.

That is correct comahan
                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                <3 dg

Comment

• Originally posted by Denver Bronco56
                  It depends on your division as i think you build to battle inthe division first.

so if you were in a pass happy division. I would def run the 3-4. It creates mismatches and add pass rushers with usually more speed.

but in a run happy division i would run 4-3. As it adds more lineman to help clog the lanes and keeps the blockers off your LBs
                  Originally posted by bigbluedefense
                  I also want to discuss this notion that the 3-4 is quicker than the 4-3. This is actually false.

We assume that because you have an extra linebacker, that your team defense is faster, but the truth is 3-4 defenses are slower than 4-3 defenses, and actually thicker when you add up the total body mass of the front 7.

The prototypical 3-4 has these respective weights.

DE - 290
                  NT - 340
                  OLB - 260
                  ILB - 250

Thats 1940 lbs of mass in the front 7.

The prototypical 4-3 bodyweights are

DE - 270
                  NT - 310
                  UT - 300
                  MLB - 240
                  SLB - 240
                  WILL - 235

Thats 1865 lbs of mass.

The 4-3 has smaller quicker linebackers who play the middle of the field faster than the 3-4.

Remember, while the 3-4 may have one extra LB, youre usually blitzing that LB, leaving 3 LBs in coverage who tend to be thicker than 4-3 Lbs, so you have less speed in coverage. Plus, your 3 downlinemen are essentially all DTs, so you get less overall speed out of the pass rush as well.

This is why the 3-4 is better against the run, but worst against the pass. You have a thicker front 7 against the run, and its spaced out so its difficult to bounce it outside as well. However, the overall weight of the front 7 reduces team speed, making coverage a little slower, and pass rush a little slower, thus equating to worse pass defense.

Don't believe me? Think about who has the best run defenses in the league. Dallas, Pittsburgh, and SD. All 3-4 teams. Who has the best pass defenses? Generally Cover 2 teams, built on speed and 4-3 fronts, like the Bears.
                  The 3-4 is actually better suited against run oriented teams, and the 4-3 against passing teams. 4-3 teams tend to generate a better pass rush compared to the 3-4, and have more athletic LBs who can defend the middle of the field.

Comment

• id take 46, with a SS who can cover and stuff the run, then 3 lock down DB's

Comment

• Originally posted by stephenson86
                      id take 46, with a SS who can cover and stuff the run, then 3 lock down DB's
                      But that's next to impossible. Your secondary would need to be like D-Hall, Champ, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor. It'd be a good defense if you had them, but the only way that would happen is if there was life on Mars and tey played football and challenged us to a football war.

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                      Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                      Originally posted by njx9
                      do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisCybulski
                        Originally posted by stephenson86
                        But that's next to impossible. Your secondary would need to be like D-Hall, Champ, Ed Reed and Sean Taylor. It'd be a good defense if you had them, but the only way that would happen is if there was life on Mars and tey played football and challenged us to a football war.
                        I think other countries would be far less out there.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

• Originally posted by Boston
                          Originally posted by ChrisCybulski
                          Originally posted by stephenson86
                          I think other countries would be far less out there.
                          The only other country that plays football that I know of is Canada, and there are two things you need to know. It's a different game. And our best player is Jesse Palmer or Jesse Lumsden, neither of whom made NFL rosters.

Comment

• And we all know Mars has a bunch of all stars.

That is correct comahan
                            I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                            <3 dg

Comment

And we all know Mars has a bunch of all stars.

Well now that I think of it, Canada would own all of you guys. KYLE QUINLAN ROCKS!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisCybulski
                                Originally posted by draftguru151
                                And we all know Mars has a bunch of all stars.

Well now that I think of it, Canada would own all of you guys. KYLE QUINLAN ROCKS!!!

That is correct comahan
                                I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                                <3 dg

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information