Roughing the passer? Protecting QB's.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roughing the passer? Protecting QB's.

Just saw a bogus roughing the passer call against Hasselbeck on a 3rd down so I decided to post this. I've been thinking about it for a while now so here goes.

Simply put, are we protecting the QB's too much and punishing defenders for just being physical?

After seeing the Kiwinuka-Young play, in which he said he didn't throw down Young for fear of a penalty (I believe that's how it went down anyways) it says to me that if defenders are now afraid to actually tackle a QB it's getting out of hand. I realize you have to protect your QB's, as they go down all the time and there just aren't that many elite QB's nowadays... but what do you guys think?

That call was so horrid.

The rules aren't as much as the problem as the officials who are calling the penalties. I couldn't count on my hands and toes the number of times officials called something that was wrong.

Hasselbeck gets hit as he throws the ball, the GB defender hits his back but is penalized for allegedly hitting Hasselbeck's head.

Cripes, the problem isn't the rule.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

This has been happening all year and I don't like it. Packers will try to put the loss on the this but they didn't deserve to win.

Comment

It's getting rediculous, the call on Cullen Jenkins tonight was a joke.

I've seen a ton of warrentless roughing the passer penaltys besides that too. Its like the NFL is trying to tell players to freeze time because I've seen plays where a QB is beginning to throw the ball and the DE leaps foward to get him, the ball gets released then the DE hits the QB less than a second later and gets flagged.

It's a joke.

Comment

I think it's starting to get a little ridiculous myself.

I can't stand the illegal blow to the helmet rule.

Comment

Some of them are legit. The problem isn't with the call, you shouldn't be allowed to lead with your helmet and hit an unprotected player in the head area. You need to protect QB's from getting concussions.

The problem is that for some reason there have been a lot of awful calls this year that aren't even within the boundaries of the ruling.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

The thing is sometimes your like damn it that rule shouldnt be there thats a bs rule.
              but then other times your like hell yes 1st down.
              "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

ok

Ok, who voted for "The calls are legit"? The refs are making horrible calls. Like in the bears vs pats game. Peanut tillman blocked a guy after Daniel manning recovered a fumble and had not been touched yet. Also, when Daniel Manning tackled Corey Dillon as he was about to go out of bounds but he had not even touched the out of bounds mark. Dont even get me started on MOST of the roughing the passer calls.

Comment

yeah, i think sometimes people forget that the quarterback, during the throw, is just as unprotected as any WR going up for a ball or punt returner trying to field one. there clearly DO need to be some rules to protect him, just like there are for other players. that said, the enforcement has been awful lately.

to play devil's advocate: they HAVE to protect the quarterback much more forcefully, because these guys are the star players. for instance, a poorly called roughing the passer penalty on some defensive end is not nearly as bad for the league monetraily, as peyton manning having a career ending injury because of a questionable hit.

Comment

the pack pissed that game away by themselves, but that call really hurt them and was called at a very critical time in the game.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                    they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                    Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

They need to relax on the roughing the passer calls, and take a look at hits on receivers. The pass to Stevens later in that drive, teh DB hit Stevens in the back of the head with his elbow and they didn't call it.

The call on the Hasselbeck hit was horrible, and I've seen that happen that multiple times this year, including Tatupu hitting Andrew Walter in the chest and he gets called for a blow to the head.
                      "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by XxXdragonXxX
                        They need to relax on the roughing the passer calls, and take a look at hits on receivers. The pass to Stevens later in that drive, teh DB hit Stevens in the back of the head with his elbow and they didn't call it.

The call on the Hasselbeck hit was horrible, and I've seen that happen that multiple times this year, including Tatupu hitting Andrew Walter in the chest and he gets called for a blow to the head.
                        why does it matter your team won anyway.
                        "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Again: The problem is not with the rule. The problem is with the enforcement of the rule.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork
                            Originally posted by XxXdragonXxX

why does it matter your team won anyway.

It doesn't matter. I wasn't making excuses I was just giving examples.
                            "Oh **** it's Kam, RUN!!!"

Comment

The Bengals would be 7-4 right now if not for a BS roughing the passer call.

You know my opinion...

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information