• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit-by-unit analysis

Quarterback
    1A. New England Patriots
    1B. Indianapolis Colts
    3. St. Louis Rams
    Obviously Brady and Manning are the major anchors, but both the Pats and Colts have promising young talents brewing behind those two giants in Cassel and Sorgi/Navarre. And the Rams come in third thanks to having a starter in Bulger as well as one of the best back-ups in the league in Frerotte.

Runningback
    1. New Orleans Saints
    2. San Diego Chargers
    3. Jacksonville Jaguars
    It didn't take long to give the Saints my top pick, with that incomparable duo of McAllister and Bush as well as having Aaron Stecker as the third back on the depth chart who can spell a few carries/catches himself. I'm not sold on the Burner, but LT is the best back in the league, so San Diego gets the nod at #2. The Jags make the list thanks to a loaded backfield of Taylor, Drew, and Jones.

Receiver
    1. Indianapolis Colts
    2. Arizona Cardinals
    3. Chicago Bears
    I'm including Dallas Clark as a slot receiver to the Colts, as on a pure WR level, the Cards trio of Boldin/Firzgerald/Johnson is beastly and better than anyone else in the league. They don't make more plays than the Colts' trio of Harrison/Wayne/Clark however, and are not as experienced and durable, so they get bumped to #2. I'll gladly give the Bears' underrated group of Berrian/Muhammed/Bradley/Clark the nod over the Bengals as: (1) Johnson (who I love) is terribly overrated; (2) Henry hurts the team as much as he helps it with his mental make-up and lack of desire; and 3) the Bengals have nothing to speak of from their tight ends.

Offensive Line
    1. Philadelphia Eagles
    2. San Diego Chargers
    3. Indianapolis Colts
    That Eagles offensive line has more talent than any other in the league. The Chargers have a good line, although the long-term status of Marcus McNeil is very much in question with his back condition. I can't give the Washington line the nod over the Colts, as the Colts' line with Manning is as good in pass pro as Washington's line is in run blocking, but I'll take the Colts' line to run block than I would Washington's line to pass block.

Defensive Line
    1A. Baltimore Ravens
    1B. New England Patriots
    3. San Diego Chargers
    The Ravens have the best 4-3 line in the league with Pryce/Ngata/Gregg/Suggs and the Patriots have the best 3-4 line in the league with Seymour/Wilfork/Warren, and I'll just call it a tie. Much as I love those two beasties in the middle at Jacksonville, their pass rush from their ends leave enough to be desired such that I'll put the Chargers' impressive line of Castillo/Williams/Olshansky at third.

Linebacker
    1. Green Bay Packers
    2. Miami Dolphins
    3. Baltimore Ravens
    The Packers have the most-balanced set of linebackers imo as well as a thumper in Hodge on the bench (a liability in coverage however). I also like the Dolphins' group, obviously including Jason Taylor thanks to play as 3-4 OLB in recent years, and the Ravens still have a great core despite the loss of Adalius Thomas - assuming they can stay healthy that is. As impressive as the Patriots' starting four of Colvin/Bruschi/Vrabel/Thomas is on paper, I can't put it in my top three until they see the field, plus I still think they could use a young ILB to improve their current coverage ability.

Secondary
    1. Baltimore Ravens
    2. Philadelphia Eagles
    3. Chicago Bears
    Samari Rolle is a weakness for the Ravens, but the Ravens can obviously manage. Allthough the Eagles have the best starting duo of corners in the league in Shepherd and Brown, they are unimpressive at strong safety and third/nickel corner. The Bears not only have the best trio of corners in the league with Tillman/Vasher/Manning Jr., but Archuleta is an excellent addition to make sure they don't miss a beat at strong safety, whether or not Mike Brown is with the team, and Manning is a very talented, young player who needs to continue gaining experience at free safety. The Bears could very well move up this list.
    Last edited by Geo; 05-02-2007, 10:59 PM.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

giants DL!!! well sorta- our DE's all around are the best, and I'd love to see your starting DT have 2 INT's in one year!
      We ALL bleed scarlet
      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
        The only player in their secondary worth talking about is Newman. I think the guy is a legitimate top three corner, but beyond him, I'm not impressed.

Everytime I watch Anthony Henry, he gets burned. Roy Williams' strength in the run game doesn't overcome what an absolute liability he is in pass coverage. And their free safety situation? It's laughable.
        Henry was hurt all year, and when healthy he is a great #2 CB. And Hamlin should bring some stability to the FS position. That said, I still don't think we have a top 2 secondary. They are good, maybe top 5, but not top 2. If Roy williams returns to pro-bowl form they can be in the discussion, but not right now.

And even if you guys hate T.O., our WRs have to be in this discussion. Don't forget about patrick crayton as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
          Um yes. I'm pretty sure Anderson had double digit sacks last year, if i recall correctly. I'll take Chicago's interior lineman over Baltimores any day.
          id take Gregg + Ngata over Harris. 2 heads is better than 1

Anderson had sacks..oh big deal. Ravens were the best defense and it starts with the 4 men down in the trenches.

Pryce: 13 sacks
          Suggs: 9.5 sacks

Ogun: 6.5 sacks
          Brown: 7 sacks
          ^all were full time starters.
          Anderson had 12 sacks but why wasnt he a starter if hes so good? Hes still got to develope as an all around player.

why do people try to use #s as a metric to the best unit? like this situation and Roy vs Ed ?
          Last edited by remix 6; 04-24-2007, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Regarding the first post in this thread, I'm not sure the Eagles and Skins have the best O-lines.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
              Regarding the first post in this thread, I'm not sure the Eagles and Skins have the best O-lines.
              Id say the Eagles do, but I don't know about the Skins anymore. SD has a pretty good oline.

NE's oline is vastly underrated.

NO's Oline is up there.

Indy's of course is real good.

Am I missing anyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                i think they do..pretty sure about Skins..very underrated OL..helped Portis get 1000 before..now Betts

Brunnel got sacked 12 times in 9 games while Campbell 7 times in 7 games..i think thats pretty good considering who Brunell is. They have 3 pretty good guys in Samuels-Thomas-Jansen

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                  Id say the Eagles do, but I don't know about the Skins anymore. SD has a pretty good oline.

NO's Oline is up there.

Am I missing anyone?
                  i think Jaguars have a pretty good OL or am i wrong?

Comment

NO's Oline is up there.

Am I missing anyone?
                    Well I wasn't originally take into account all the guys retired in KC. Forgot about that. But you can never count out Denver with their style. I mean just looking up numbers even the Giants O-line is right on par with the Eagles/Skins even with losing our LT for half the season. We gave up similar amounts of sacks, and rushed for just as much if not more. I know that doesn't say it all but I'm not ready to proclaim the Skins and Eagles as the best O-lines in the NFL. A lot of teams are right on par with them.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                      yeah, i'd rather have had gerard warren and michael myers by the same awful logic. great argument.

yeah, let me throw out some stats, but use others to prove that "my" guys are still better. flawless logic.

because people like you are unable to coherently argue against them?
                      psshh DT's for sacks? the giants use there's for much needed INTs
                      We ALL bleed scarlet
                      New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                      UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                      Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                      BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                        Remind me to punch Tim Lewis in the face.

ONLY TIM LEWIS....has the genius to spy Brian Westbrook with William Joseph.

I couldn't even try to be that stupid.

Comment

This thread has become incredibly painful.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

NO's Oline is up there.

Am I missing anyone?
                            Our line is pretty underrated... although, at times we do look average. We greatly need to improve our running block as well.
                            The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

What is "our line"? I'm not sure which one you mean.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by scottyboy View Post
                                Psshh! The Bears use their DT's for Touchdowns and destroying linebackers at the line of scrimmage.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information