Al Wilson officially released.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by njx9
    cutlery: how is it not a massive loss talent wise? we're starting nate fricking webster instead (as of right now). yeah, minor stepdown talent-wise. or something.
    We were crowded at LB anyway, as DJ wasn't getting any opportunites in the nickel packages. I think Al will be easily replaced talent-wise. I already explained that (Williams is moved to the middle and we draft a true SAM).. It's the leadership that we'll have trouble replacing.

Comment

i know that was rumored intent, but i somehow doubt we'll get him to come back for cheap, especially given that there's interest from other teams, and imo, he hasn't really lost any skill (age would be the only factor i see here).
      Maybe next year, but I doubt Wilson plays this year at all..

Comment

i'd like to see you quote 5 people who agree with you.
        How about Al himself.. Did you watch his final press conference?

Comment

Addressing LB 1st round maybe and DE 2nd round?
          my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
          <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
          <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
          <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
          Originally posted by Hermstheman83
          What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

jesus h christ. how is this difficult? with wilson gone, moving williams to the middle means we're still bloody losing a starting linebacker.
            Do you read posts before you angerily respond to them?

DJ replaces Al.

Then we draft a SAM, which we've needed all along. It's not that hard to understand.

Comment

*yawn*

yeah, just like i saw eddie kennison's when he retired from denver.
              Dude, I gave you a logical response. Get over yourself..

Comment

do you think before you post things that aren't relevant or true?
                Yes, yes I do.

WE NEED A LB THAT CAN COVER TIGHT ENDS. AND WE HAVE ALWAYS NEEDED THAT. DJ REPLACES AL WILSON, THEREFORE THERE IS NO BIG TALENT DROPOFF.

Does all caps help you read? Just wondering..

Comment

and i told you that your "logical response" was irrelevant based on past events. should i assume this is how you'll always respond when people disagree with you and don't sugarcoat it? either come back with something else or admit you were wrong, don't whine that i'm not nice.
                  Yeah, Kennison's situation was much different. Nice try, though.

And I think I would take the words out of Al Wilson's mouth over your comparison with a past event...
                  Last edited by JCutlery; 04-25-2007, 11:05 AM.

Comment

again, please read. al wilson was a top 5 MLB. DJ Williams could be a top 5 mlb. NO ONE WE DRAFT WILL BE A TOP 5 LB. that's called losing talent. but hey, if DJ couldn't cover TE's (remember, you said WE NEED A LB THAT CAN COVER TIGHT ENDS implying that we don't have one), i'm sure nearly every linebacker in the draft this year can. especially given that DJ is one of the most atheltic linebackers in the league. is this really that hard for you to follow, or do you think that repeating over and over that a rookie linebacker will be better than al wilson will somehow make it true?

are you honestly deluded enough to believe that, say, lawrence timmons or jon beason are better players than wilson?
                    Jesus christ man, my point is based on two things.

1. DJ was rendered useless as a SAM backer. He didn't fit, he couldn't cover LBs as well, he didn't play in the nickel packages, etc. Just because he's highly athletic doesn't mean he's a good fit. We move him to Al's position, and in my opinion, there's not a big dropoff in talent.

2. We find a true SAM, whether it's within our organization (Cameron Vaughn has been mentioned) or draft one on the first day. Stewart Bradley/Quincy Black/etc. Any of these guys would be a more effective SAM than DJ ever was.

It's more about finding a true replacement for DJ, not Al.
                    Last edited by JCutlery; 04-25-2007, 11:21 AM.

Comment

how, exactly, was kennison's situation different?

but yeah, i ALWAYS believe a player will retire after or just before he's going to be cut just because he says he will. just like i always believe what teams say about who they intend to draft right before the draft. i mean, it makes complete logical sense. people never say things they don't mean because of emotion, nor are they ever tempted out of retirement by petty things like money.
                      Kennison did not suffer a potentially career-ending injury.

Al hasn't been cleared by any doctors to play, and he says he's not worrying about football, he's just living his life. Maybe this injury is a lot worse than you think.

Comment

hate to see him go to the bills

Comment

whil i agree that DJ had no business playing SAM, it's a faulty assumption to believe that he'll be a top 5 MLB after never having played the position. so you're either overrating williams ability or underrating wilson's. or heavily projecting.

regardless, our linebacking corps has lost talent as a result of losing wilson. we can't get an equally talented MLB and, even assuming that DJ is just as good as AL at MLB, we won't likely get an OLB who plays as well as DJ did at SAM. again, this is our talent deficit at LB. there is no way our defense did not get worse as a result of losing wilson as of right now.

i'm perfectly willing to buy that something could happen during the draft (trade), or after june 1st that could impact my assessment of the defense.
                          I think DJ's game could do wonders in the middle, that's my outlook. I do believe we are losing talent in Al and that our defense has worsened as a result, but I think it's a little overblown. What I am worried about is the leadership Al brings, as we will likely miss that the most.

Comment

I think it is a major loss in terms of both talent and leadership. As for the "official" reason for the split, well, you can slap sh*t between two slices of bread and call it egg salad, but it still stinks. Not a great way for a guy like Al to be ending his career in Denver

I see the potential for DJ in the middle, but moving him will create a hole somewhere else that won't easily be filled. LB in round 1 is a nice idea, but pass rush is still the crushing weakness on the team and if that isn't the absolute priority on draft day I'll be dangerously close to going into "Hobo with a Shotgun" mode... on the streets there is only one law, and he is going to deliver justice one shell at a time!

Comment

Working...
                            X

Debug Information