Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft bust percentage

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...erbacks/070425

ESPN's Page 2 did a bit of research to determine what are the safest 1st-round picks in the draft using the draft classes from 1989 - 2003. Turns out the lowest-risk positions to draft are safeties (only 11% busts) and linebackers (16%) with QBs bringing up the rear (53%).

The QBs thing doesn't surprise me, considering all the high-profile busts we always see. I was surprised that is was more than half, because you'd think that with all the scouting teams do they'd be successful most of the time, especially with a position as important as the QB.
    Another victim of Ontario's public education system.

Originally posted by Belish View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...erbacks/070425

ESPN's Page 2 did a bit of research to determine what are the safest 1st-round picks in the draft using the draft classes from 1989 - 2003. Turns out the lowest-risk positions to draft are safeties (only 11% busts) and linebackers (16%) with QBs bringing up the rear (53%).

The QBs thing doesn't surprise me, considering all the high-profile busts we always see. I was surprised that is was more than half, because you'd think that with all the scouting teams do they'd be successful most of the time, especially with a position as important as the QB.
    Considering there are only 32 starting quarterbacks in the league, it's easy to see why they would statistically bust the most often. Every other position (except Center I guess) goes at LEAST 2 deep before you're considered a bust.

Comment

I wouldn't call Kyle Boller a bust yet.

Comment

It doesnt suprise me that Safety and Linebacker are the lowest because of the fluidity of those positions. A guy like Michael Huff has 4 positions on defense and a guy like Shawn Merrimen has 5 positions while a player like Peyton Manning has only one. The second and third chances offered by other positions and a change of scenery has salvaged many careers at these positions (ex. Bryan Thomas)

Comment

QB's need more talent around them then other player. Plus teams may overrate them.

Since 2003 there have been very few busts. Only Boller and Leftwich could be considered disappointments.

Comment

brady quinn draft bust percentage 100%

Comment

You can make a case for DTs or OLs, but I still believe that QB is BY FAR the hardest position to scout.

It's the biggest learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by DraftMasterG View Post
                brady quinn draft bust percentage 100%
                Ok??? He's more a guarantee than Russell but Russell has a higher ceiling

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Interesting read and to a certain degree makes a lot of sense.

Comment

I would put DTs at #2 for high bust potential.

Comment

All I really have to say about this is the past is no guarantee of the future here. This is not something like an economic trend. These are individual scouting reports and selections. Just because QB's bust a lot, it's not going to drive down the value of the top prospects. In fact, the heavy bust rate contributes to need, which, in turn, requires that more QB's be taken. It's a cycle.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Safeties are not a high priority position. Thus not many get taken in the first round. Only the really truly special ones get taken in the first round. Which in my opinion lowers the bust potential. However they considered Derrick Gibson not a bust from the 2001 draft. I don't know about that. As well as Shaun Williams. Both are decent role players but never lived up to their draft status.

Comment

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
                          I would put DTs at #2 for high bust potential.
                          well, that fat and lazy ones named willly joseph at least
                          We ALL bleed scarlet
                          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Can't say I agree with some of the picks for QB busts. Jeff George and Vick not busts, but Carr and Boller are?

Comment

Originally posted by Stash View Post
                              Can't say I agree with some of the picks for QB busts. Jeff George and Vick not busts, but Carr and Boller are?
                              ...Vick is not a bust. Give Carr and Boller time, but Vick is not a bust by no means. I think we'll be able to see some good from Carr if he takes the starting job from Jake.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information