Giants Move Kiwanuka to LB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jughead10 View Post
    Kiwi showed very good coverage ability last year for someone who was pretty much never asked to cover up until that point. 2 INTS like Number 10 said earlier. In one season with limited snaps standing up, he showed more coverage ability than Reggie Torbor has in 3 seasons.
    You could say he looked good in coverage, especially w/ two picks. But I know one was just a simple zone blitz coverage drop where he was responsible for the flats, and got a gift from the QB. Popping off the line of scrimmage and coverage in the flats is diff. than a basic coverage drop for a OLB. But as mentioned earlier, they wont just throw him out there, they'll use him for pressure specifically. It could work, but the NY Giants are garbage and this could be a last resort move.

Will the staff have him drop weight? Can I assume he will remain a 3rd string DE?

Comment

Originally posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
      You could say he looked good in coverage, especially w/ two picks. But I know one was just a simple zone blitz coverage drop where he was responsible for the flats, and got a gift from the QB. Popping off the line of scrimmage and coverage in the flats is diff. than a basic coverage drop for a OLB. But as mentioned earlier, they wont just throw him out there, they'll use him for pressure specifically. It could work, but the NY Giants are garbage and this could be a last resort move.

Will the staff have him drop weight? Can I assume he will remain a 3rd string DE?

They decided before the draft this was the best move for him, if they weren't confident then they would have drafted someone higher. Yes the Giants are garbage

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
        In his new role, think Julian Peterson. He'll be a rover/rushbacker type of SAM/WILL (mostly SAM) on 1st and 2nd down, and if need be, will put his hand on the dirt and rush as a DE on 3rd.
        There's a small problem with that comparison: Julian Peterson has the athleticism of a defensive back and is one of the best linebackers in cverage, man (TE) or zone. Kiwi is far too lanky to ever come close to Peterson in coverage ability. I'll believe it when I see it, but I can't imagine a 6'8 DE having the fluidity to play as a LB in a 4-3.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Yes, and you wouldn't think that a 6'4", 260 lb RB could run a 4.48 40 yard dash and be an inside/outside threat, but Brandon Jacobs can do that.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by etk View Post
            There's a small problem with that comparison: Julian Peterson has the athleticism of a defensive back and is one of the best linebackers in cverage, man (TE) or zone. Kiwi is far too lanky to ever come close to Peterson in coverage ability. I'll believe it when I see it, but I can't imagine a 6'8 DE having the fluidity to play as a LB in a 4-3.
            6'8" was his Boston College height. He shrunk 3 inches once he got drafted.

Comment

lol, BC listed him 3 inches taller than he is?

Comment

Originally posted by THIZZorDIE View Post
                lol, BC listed him 3 inches taller than he is?
                Eh, He's 6'5"/6'6". So I guess he is 2 inches smaller. Maybe BC gave him some inches for his dreads that he has since cut off.

Comment

Irrelevant. The point is that moving Kiwi to LB was probably the right move for his skill set.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
                    Irrelevant. The point is that moving Kiwi to LB was probably the right move for his skill set.
                    How do you figure that? He's got a prototypical pass rushing DE body. He's tall and lean. He's got a body like Jevon Kearse. He is good in coverage for a DE, but who knows how he will fair in coverage as a LB? This is a smart move by the Giants to try him at LB but his skill set is that of a DE, or a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 LB.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
                      How do you figure that? He's got a prototypical pass rushing DE body. He's tall and lean. He's got a body like Jevon Kearse. He is good in coverage for a DE, but who knows how he will fair in coverage as a LB? This is a smart move by the Giants to try him at LB but his skill set is that of a DE, or a 3-4 OLB, not a 4-3 LB.
                      He was great in coverage last year, probably better than any LB we had.
                      Originally posted by Paul
                      Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                      Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                      These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                      MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Originally posted by Number 10 View Post
                        He was great in coverage last year, probably better than any LB we had.
                        and thats the truth... the giants had him drop into coverage a LOT last year and he looked comfortable back there and knew what he was doing

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Working...
                        X

Debug Information