X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giants Move Kiwanuka to LB

wow, he was good at DE.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2853745
    Mathias Kiwanuka is changing positions and moving into the New York Giants' starting lineup at linebacker.

The linebacker spot has been a concern since Reese waived veterans Carlos Emmons and LaVar Arrington in a salary cap move earlier this year.

Moving Kiwanuka is an attempt to get another good player on the field. Michael Strahan and Osi Umenyiora both went to the Pro Bowl in 2005, but missed considerable action last season with injuries.

Angels Record: 6-8

Wow, he's a smart guy but that's going to be a rushed transition.

Comment

DUMB move.

"Just Win Baby"- Al Davis
      @SirStackAlot707

Comment

i don really like it, he was a damn fine DE.

i wonder what BBD will think

Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy

Comment

Fine move. He will be utlized properly as a LB on 1st and 2nd downs....pass rusher on 3rd downs when he is in there as a blitzer from wherever. He was often in coverage last year and he always did a forimiddable job, had 2 INTs.

The guys that say it is a "dumb" move....I'd be suprised if you watched more than 2 Giants games last year.
          Originally posted by Paul
          Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
          Originally posted by Vikes99ej
          These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
          MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

They needed an outside backer and why draft one when you spent a pick on a guy last year. Besides it is not like theyre losing a starting DE.

Comment

I think it's a great move by the Giants. They have two great pass rushers in Strahan and Umenyiora so why not try to get them on the field at the same time, as well as a guy who showed a lot of promise last year in Kiwanuka?

A smart move.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
              WHO DAT!

Comment

i can see y they'd do it. they have 2 very talented ends and their LB issues over the last 2 years have been a concern. I'll be interested to see how he makes the transition, and will he stay there if Usi or Strahan get hurt during the year?

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

If I'm correct, the Giants defensive scheme is more of a 4-3 over than a traditional 4-3, with the SLB lined up on the line of scrimmage. They'll use him in the same way that they envisioned they would use Lavar Arrington.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                    If I'm correct, the Giants defensive scheme is more of a 4-3 over than a traditional 4-3, with the SLB lined up on the line of scrimmage. They'll use him in the same way that they envisioned they would use Lavar Arrington.
                    I love how you said "envisioned".

Comment

It depends how they use him. There are a lot of match-up Backs and Tight Ends in the NFC East. I would worry about him, if they ask him to cover. If they use him as a Shawne Merriman type, attack the backfield on every play, I think it will work.

Comment

There are definitely plenty of ways to effectively utilize a rush 'backer in a 4-3 scheme, but, like Shiver said, they can't protect him from covering 100% of the time and until he gets used to that aspect they won't be able to leave him on the field as much as they'd probably like to.

Comment

I really hope the job isn't just handed to him. Strahan won't be around too much longer and Umenyiora/Kiwanuka could be a beastly combo.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                            I think it's a great move by the Giants. They have two great pass rushers in Strahan and Umenyiora so why not try to get them on the field at the same time, as well as a guy who showed a lot of promise last year in Kiwanuka?

A smart move.
                            Do you know how often Strahan hasn't been able to play in the last couple of seasons? He's about done with his stellar career. This probably will be his last season.

Comment

Originally posted by yourfavestoner View Post
                              Exactly how he'll be used. Kiwi is extremely smart. I wouldn't be surpised if on top of learning to play SLB, that he will also take part in some of his old DE drills. If Strahan or Osi were to go down for any period of time I would expect Kiwi to go back to DE and DeOssie to step in at SLB.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information