My 2007 NFL Draft Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
    Kolb's short-medium accuracy and ability to make quick reads was coveted by Reid and the Eagles for the West Coast scheme. Per the Eagles website and press conference notes, Kolb's work ethic, board work, and ability to understand, digest, and process info was impressive. They had him as the #3 player on the board and I think #34 overall.
    While I don't really like the pick, it also does give them leverage against McNabb, who has been a major premadonna the past 3 years.

It still hurts that in such a talented WR class, they came out with none of them. You couldn't go wrong drafting a WR in the first 3 rounds of this draft. And Philly got nobody.

Stallworth when healthy was such a great addition to that offense, if they were able to come out of this draft with a high caliber WR, that wouldve done wonders for their already great offense. They have the oline, they have the rb, they have the TE, they just needed one more WR to make them deadly.

Other than that, solid draft. I just think they laid an egg not getting a WR or Merriweather with their first pick.

Comment

To be fair, no one foresaw Tennessee crapping the bed and taking Griffin when they needed offensive playmakers. If Tennessee had taken a WR there, they would have left Griffin, Merriweather, and Nelson on the board. That would have likely meant Griffin on the board for the Eagles at #26. At that point, they would have had to take the remaining safety. Of course, without the trade, the Eagles potentially miss out on Abiamiri, Bradley, or Hunt. They wouldn't have gotten 2 of those 3.

Yes, not taking a WR was a bit of a puzzle, but I wasn't sold on the team having to draft that position. The Eagles got good production from Baskett and Brown last season, also drafted Jason Avant, and they signed Kevin Curtis in the offseason to replace Stallworth. You also can't discount the impact of LJ Smith as a receiver at TE. The offense was plenty explosive even without Stallworth. Adding Curtis and developing Avant and Baskett makes up for this potential issue.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

I think you're all wrong about New Orleans. Saints needed a WR after losing Joe Horn. Colston is only in his 2nd year, Henderson will never be a #1 and Cooper is in his 30s.

I'm also don't worried about the Falcons,Panthers or Bucs I don't think their draft classes were all that you're making them out to be.

Comment

Originally posted by constant cough View Post
          I think you're all wrong about New Orleans. Saints needed a WR after losing Joe Horn. Colston is only in his 2nd year, Henderson will never be a #1 and Cooper is in his 30s.

I totally agree with u on this one. WR is a need for New Orleans after Horn's departure. Meachem is a good replacement and should form a good duo with Colston.

I'm also don't worried about the Falcons,Panthers or Bucs I don't think their draft classes were all that you're making them out to be.
          I disagree with u on this one. I think the Falcons and Panthers had quite a good draft. Falcons replaced Kerney with a player with a whole lot of potential in Jamaal Anderson (Not to mention he is physically gifted) and solidified their Oline with Blalock. Meanwhile the panthers replaced Morgan with a good linebacker in Beason and got 2 steals in Dwayne Jarrett and Charles Johnson.

Comment

Originally posted by constant cough View Post
            Granted, however this is a deep WR class. They could have held off on a WR pick, and added one of the premier defenders still on the board.

Almost every single analyst has the Panthers and Falcons as having great drafts. Both of those teams weren't that far off last year, anyway.

Comment

BBD; the only thing we disagree on is Jamarcus Russell. I think me and Toonster have been the most pro-Russell of anyone on the board.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                Its amazing how similar my thoughts are with Shivers.

I too feel that Levi Brown is the better Tackle in this draft. Ive been saying that for months, and I agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

I agree that Miami made a huge mistake taking Ginn, but I disagree on your assessment of Quinn. To me, Quinn is easily the best qb from this draft. Followed by Beck. Yes, Ive said it before and I'll say it again, Quinn is the best qb from this class, Beck is the 2nd best. But even Beck isn't in the same league as Quinn.

I disagree on Russell. He'll be a bust imo. Im not impressed by him at all.

NFC South had a great draft. Arizona had a killer draft too. It should be noted that Jacksonville had a great draft. The only thing with Jacksonville is...and we'll get our answer during the season, will they regret passing on Quinn? Just last year they benched Leftwich to see if they were better without him, so they can't be THAT high on him. Passing Quinn could be a huge mistake.

Not only is the Landry pick by Washington dumb in terms of schematics, but also in terms of money. They have top 6 pick money invested in both safety positions. Theres no way you can keep both of these guys long term in the salary cap era. That is simply too much money invested at safety. Now they will lose one or the other after 4 years, and theyre gonna look back and regret this day.

Not to mention Landry isn't exactly the centerfielder type that would compliment Taylor. Theyre very similar players. They were better off getting a Merriweather/Nelson type to compliment Taylor. Bad move.

It can still work in terms of schematics. I won't go into details now because its a long writeup, but it can definately work. But think long term, theres no way they keep both Landry and Taylor long term. Unless they make major cuts in other areas of their team.
                I agree with all of your points. I too thought that Quinn was the best QB in the draft and I also believe that Russell will be a bust.

As far as the Kevin Kolb selection is concerned: I think you need to look at the tradition of University of Houston QB's and their high bust factor in the NFL. It was an extremely risky move by the Eagles and one that I think they will regret.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                WHO DAT!

Comment

diab, I don't think you can look at 2 first round bust QB's in the last 10-15 years and proclaim that every QB from that school will be a bust. That's like saying "Byron Leftwich and Chad Pennington are solid starting QB's, and both came from Marshall. All Marshall QB's are solid, potentially pro bowl QB's." Kolb could end up doing nothing, but that's not a guarantee. He played in a spread offense out of the shotgun, but his arm accuracy and decisionmaking are very solid. He translates well as a WCO QB. I look at the Eagles track record of drafting and developing QB's (McNabb, Feeley), and their usually solid draft record since Andy Reid and Banner took over, and I give the team the benefit of the doubt for the time being. Risky move? Absolutely. Am I happy about the pick with other talent on the board? Hell no! Can anyone call Kolb or any other player a bust when there has been no training camp or any other time spent yet? Way too early.
                  Last edited by bsaza2358; 04-30-2007, 03:07 PM.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

As for the Bengals taking Irons, I understand the confusion around it but here's why...

There wasn't much there for defensive talent, I think David Harris or Justin Durant would've been the pick however they both went just before our pick. So staying with the BPA theory that our FO preaches Irons got the pick.

Chris Perry is likely to start the season off on the PUP list for the 2nd straight year. Next season he's a UFA and to be honest he won't be worth the risk of re-signing for the amount of money he's likely to get. So it was inevitable a backup RB would have to be picked (Marvin likes 2 RB systems), so granted our needs don't lie on offense at all but there just wasn't anyone worthy of the value at that spot for our defense. Rudi carried the entire load last year and defenses just got used to him out there, there was zero change of pace and Rudi isn't really a homerun threat from the backfield. The pick is a C- for need but the BPA helps it. I have comfort in it given I was terrified of Rudi getting hurt next year for a decent amount of time, Quincy Wilson would likely be our starting RB....

Also Rashad Jeanty and Ahmad Brooks developed well last year, Brooks especially should be a big impact guy this year. The team is also in the process of signing Ed Hartwell as a backup.

So in the draft we addressed needs at SS, CB and LB (if you count the comp. pick of Brooks). Also a sleeper DT that can be developed into a potential starter for '08 while we already have a future starter in Domata Peko. DE wasn't going to be addressed given we have Robert Geathers with a big contract and last year spent a 3rd rounder on Frostee Rucker who the coaches/players rave about.
                    Last edited by PalmerToCJ; 04-30-2007, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the Lions love!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                        BBD; the only thing we disagree on is Jamarcus Russell. I think me and Toonster have been the most pro-Russell of anyone on the board.
                        Not true. I'm a Russell homer as well.
                        The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

Comment

Actually I think most of the pro-Cutler crowd from '06, just moved unto Russell this past year. All the Leinart supporters, likewise, moved to Quinn. Basically the same debate is occurring every year, using the same arguments, just with different prospects.

Comment

Actually I think most of the pro-Cutler crowd from '06, just moved unto Russell this past year. All the Leinart supporters, likewise, moved to Quinn. Basically the same debate is occurring every year, using the same arguments, just with different prospects.

So using this logic, Russell will definitely be better.

Comment

I know I think so.

Comment

Not true. I loved Cutler last year as a QB and this year I loved Quinn. I think I might be the lone exception.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                                WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information