No announcement yet.

My 2007 NFL Draft Thoughts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Ross was a very solid pick for the Giants. I liked their draft in general. There are some OLine worries, but I think the CB situation warranted attention. There are a lot of position-flexible guys on the Giants roster, and I think they will do okay. It will be a weak spot for them early, but they should shore things up. After all, there's no way that they could possibly have more injuries in 2007 as they did in 2006, right?

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

To be honest I am a bit confused as to way the Saints didn't take Alan Branch? Yes he may take some downs off, but a lot of those big guys do. I think he has Sean Gilbert type tools, and could have really taken some heat off their quick but undersized LB's in the middle of the field. Secondarily I am not real impressed with any Tennesee WR's coming out, not much production, and that goes back all the way to the Alvin Harper days.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
        I thought Ross was a very solid pick for the Giants. I liked their draft in general. There are some OLine worries, but I think the CB situation warranted attention. There are a lot of position-flexible guys on the Giants roster, and I think they will do okay. It will be a weak spot for them early, but they should shore things up. After all, there's no way that they could possibly have more injuries in 2007 as they did in 2006, right?
        you're right, i really dont think it's possible. of course it was key players, like if emmons, morton, whitfield(w/o luke hurt) and (wishful thinking) tim lewis got injured last year, it wouldve been a lot better.

also, i think the madden curse should be worn out on mcnabb now :)

(no offense, i still hate the eagles bsaza!!)
        We ALL bleed scarlet
        New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
        UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
        Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
        BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Scotty, it must kill you to hate the Eagles so much, yet you have to simultaneously respect my football knowledge and logic. Takes some getting used to.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

ohh i respect your logic trust me. i mean in this conversation i havent randomly typed- EAGLES SUCK!! even though i really think that, i respect you enough not to type it :)
            We ALL bleed scarlet
            New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
            UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
            Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
            BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
              Posluszny was the man I wanted when the Saints were on the clock. He would have been the type of linebacker that would have immediately impacted our defense, as well as providing the leadership that great defenses possess. Even though the Saints signed a leader in Brian Simmons this free agency, Puz would have immediately improved the middle linebacker position so that Simmons could have slid over to the weakside where he can make plays and move around. Another excellent choice would have been Greg Olsen who would have given the Saints the extra dimension to their offense which they did not have last season and have not had in a while.
              Meachem, while he might have BPA, filled a slight need but not a pressing need like Puz or Olsen would have filled.
              Olsen is not that big of an upgrade over a healthy Eric Johnson. I've already said how I felt about Poz.

Meachem wasn't just the BPA, he was the PBA by a large margin. It wasn't even close.

Originally posted by DonWoods33 View Post
              To be honest I am a bit confused as to way the Saints didn't take Alan Branch? Yes he may take some downs off, but a lot of those big guys do. I think he has Sean Gilbert type tools, and could have really taken some heat off their quick but undersized LB's in the middle of the field. Secondarily I am not real impressed with any Tennesee WR's coming out, not much production, and that goes back all the way to the Alvin Harper days.
              Character issues. I don't think he was even on the Saints draft board, at all. Meaning, they wouldn't even take Branch in the 7th round. A guy with character issues in the 1st is still a guy with character issues in the 7th.

It is true that people can change, Saints co. probably checked into this guy before the draft and didn't like what they saw.

Undersized LB'ers?

OLB, Scott Shanle: 6'2, 245lbs
              MLB, Brian Simmons: 6'3, 240lbs
              SLB, Scott Fujita: 6'5, 250lbs
              Last edited by SaintsMan; 05-01-2007, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                I've seen Toonster write an essay about why 300 wasn't a good movie!

I could see Toonster writing an essay telling me that I am not here right now, typing this!

And I'd believe him!

Originally posted by Scott Wright
                Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
                Originally posted by njx9
                do i tell you when to flip the burger?

Comment

Toonster said on more than one occassion that the Bills would trade their 2nd round pick and their 08 1st round pick for Michael Turner, which was one of the worst things I've read on this site and I said as much each time. I enjoy reading his posts too, but I wouldn't treat them as gospel just yet.
                  Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

Eh, we all have made stupid predictions. I am still trying to forget my "Colts won't win the super bowl" argument.
                    Last edited by Shiver; 05-02-2007, 01:58 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by diabsoule View Post
                      Not true. I loved Cutler last year as a QB and this year I loved Quinn. I think I might be the lone exception.
                      I loved Cutler. Really liked Quinn. Lukewarm on Leinart. Hated Russell.

Jay Cutler is nothing like JaMarcus Russell.
                      Will post for +rep.

Comment

• The thing that drives me nuts about Anti-Russell people is that they like to use his strong arm as an negative and completely ignore the fact he is an all around good QB, he can do so much more than just throw the deep ball. When I see post like this I canít help but wonder how many LSU games they actually watched.
                        Taking a Knapp.

Comment

• That's the thing. Most people didn't see much of Jamarcus Russell. Whereas they saw Quinn all the time. So there is a tendency to side with the 'known,' as opposed to the unknown.

Comment

• The Saints were right to pass on Poz, but Meachem? Whatever. I think the right player was Alan Branch.

Actually, I think it won't be long til quite a few teams are saying "Why did we pass on Branch again?" Too many teams with bad run defenses out there.

Comment

• Yeah, I agree. Either way, I think they should have went defense in round 1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shiver View Post
                                Yeah, I agree. Either way, I think they should have went defense in round 1.
                                Yes, we definitely should have. I think that's one drawback to having such an offensive-minded coach is that he constantly looks to upgrade the offense and makes just enough moves on defense to maintain above-average performance.

Bringing in Brian Simmons and Kevin Kaesviharn were two good moves but they are also up there in years as is most of our defense. We need to start thinking of the future, especially when top-flight defensive prospects are on the board. While we were able to land Walter Thomas (DT) as an UDFA, passing on players like Alan Branch, Paul Posluszny, Marcus McCauley, and others will definitely hurt us in the long run unless next year we draft one of the top LB or DT prospects.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
                                WHO DAT!

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information