No announcement yet.

Ranking system of Offensive lines.... very interesting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope some of the draft experts read that before killing the Giants for not taking a LT.

Comment

4.76 2nd rank

Vernan Carey has been turning into a good Right tackle just the rest of the line sucks.

Comment

These rankings kind of help things, but they don't really take into consideration coaching, playcalling, personnel, the timing of certain plays (like running well late in games), the use of short passes (like in the WCO), etc. There is some benefit to these stats and this analysis, but it is not a total picture that is proof positive of anything.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by bsaza2358 View Post
          These rankings kind of help things, but they don't really take into consideration coaching, playcalling, personnel, the timing of certain plays (like running well late in games), the use of short passes (like in the WCO), etc. There is some benefit to these stats and this analysis, but it is not a total picture that is proof positive of anything.
          Beat me to the punch, great post. When will people learn that you can't make statistical sense out of football?

Comment

I won't completely dismiss these analyses. You can do some statistical analysis to measure a team's success at certain plays, you can also mine the data of playcalling to help manage a game with packages, likely playcalls, etc. However, you cannot use statitistics to accurately project statistics or success on the field.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Comment

Originally posted by Nightmares Win 6-0 View Post
              imagine that, there are 5 teams who were worse at pass blocking than the worst pass blocking team in history...
              Yeah, theres something wrong when a team that gave up 72 sacks is ranked worse than one that gave up 43.
              "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

But wait...

Ghetto said the Giants line was awful....

hmmm
                Originally posted by Paul
                Eli's opportunity to become a legend.
                Originally posted by Vikes99ej
                These last 50 seconds will define Eli Manning.
                MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

Comment

Browns were nearly dead last in everything with this group:
                  LT - Kevin Shaffer
                  LG - Joe Andruzzi
                  OC - Hank Fraley
                  RG - Cosey Coleman
                  RT - Ryan Tucker

the only bright spots were Shaffer and Fraley.

In 2007 this will be our OL that hopefully puts us in the 20's at the very worste for OL. 2008 with Bentley back will be scary, and on paper the best OL in the NFL, but unfortunatly were the Browns.
                  2007:
                  LT - Joe Thomas
                  LG - Eric Steinbach
                  OC - Hank Fraley
                  RG - Ryan Tucker
                  RT - Kevin Shaffer
                  2008:
                  LT - Joe Thomas
                  LG - Eric Steinbach
                  OC - Hank Fraley
                  RG - Lecharles Bentley
                  RT - Kevin Shaffer

Comment

These statistics look at individual numbers sets and try to compare and contrast 32 teams that have different personnel, playcalling, etc. It is probably impossible for a statistical model to really rank OLines. You can look at some statistical modeling, but in the end, yards gained and sacks/pressure allowed are all that really matters in the NFL.

Comment

I am opposed to most metrics. I like a few of them, but I hardly give them more credence than what they are worth.

Comment

Nothing beats the good old fashioned eyeball evaluation. To me, thats the only one that matters.

Especially in this sport.

This is only the beginning. Just wait until KC Joyner comes out with his stupid metrics analysis of this past season. Everyone is gonna analyze it to death when it really is a flawed approach to begin with.

Im giddy with excitement for those threads. >:-(

Comment

Much of what Joyner does in relation to OLine play is valuable. He looks at whole unit work on running plays and doesn't have a metric to really measure pass blocking effectiveness. He also combines a lot of his OLine metrics to the RB skills. I recall he did a lot of work with the Arizona OLine and Edgerrin James. Again, Joyner and other statisticians have some value in terms of tendencies and specific successes, but I agree that watching tape is the easiest and best way to evaluate actual quality.

Comment

The only metric I really, really like is Football Outsiders' RB "success rate."

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                              meh, metrics aren't that bad bbd. i mean, bear in mind that, when used in a balanced approach to player evaluation, they can be really nice ways to describe certain tendencies. although if you're looking squarely at people who use ONLY metrics, then sure. but i'd argue that people who use a single source of evidence for any argument are typically biased or mis-informed in some way.
                              I don't really have a problem with the metrics themselves, because they do offer some sort of insight at the end of the day, albeit flawed insight. What I have a problem with is the consequences of the metrics.

Homers/people with agenda's use metrics as an instrument to spew their nonsense all offseason, and it gets irritating.

Metrics threads just wind up being one large homerfest. Thats why they annoy me so much.

Comment

I personally think metrics apply best in evaluating CB coverage/tackling ability, pass rush effectiveness, and run-game effectiveness on the types of plays and playcalls. I also like the QB error statistical analyses. These are the reliable statistical models that I think have a decent application to overall football insight. They have some value, but as people have said, they should be used in tandem with actual game-tape and other scouting. These statistics cannot stand on their own as legitimate evidence of actual player ability.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information