No announcement yet.

NFC North Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rex made mistakes yet the team allowed them to go that far, but Rex was also an important factor.

I'm not a big Rex fan.
    my scent?...like making love to a lumberjack
    <TACKLE> i will ngata give you a bj raji
    <+BOE> Scott, with Burfict's character concerns (whether legit or not) you think Pioli would draft him. :D
    <+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
    Originally posted by Hermstheman83
    What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.

Comment

I'm not going to crack on the Bears too much, obviously I don't have much room to do so.

I think there's a chance that a number of things combine to make the Bears a lesser team than they were last year. Those things include: T. Jones leaving, Rex Grossman, Lance Briggs, Tank Johnson, Super Bowl loser effect. There's just as good of a chance that they keep their continuity rolling and remain about as good as last year also. I don't think they'll go back to the SB simply because the losing team in the inferior conference rarely does.

Anyway, even assuming the Bears fall off a bit, are any of the other teams ready to take the division from them? On the surface it appears unlikely. I'd like to think the Lions will improve but enough to win the division? It would take a miracle. The Packers? I see them finishing last in the division, I don't see how their offense is going to produce much. The Vikings have the best chance in my opinion, AP will help them a lot if he's healthy and getting Greenway back will be like adding another first-round rookie. It's all up to Tarvaris Jackson, they're taking a big risk going with him but if he gets the job done, the Vikes will be pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
        SuperBowl.
        I'm not making excuses for Rexy but the conditions in the SB were horrid. Notice that when Peyton tried to go down the field, he wasn't very successful. Don't get me wrong he still didn't play that well but it would've been hard for any QB to be successful in that weather, especially playing from behind and having no running game.
        Chris Harris.

The weather was bad, and balls, fumbles, everything was getting dropped.

Yes, the Colts had better execution, and it didn't help that the safeties were playing 20 yds from the LOS...

As long as the defense keeps a positive turnover ratio, the bears will win the division. Period. When rex is inconsistant, you get games like Arizona vs Chicago, which if you have TiVo and NFLN, they're repeating it this week (or may have already) as a 'classic' game... I will write up something 'deep' when I get back from work. But until then. The lions will be making steps, and might challenge the #3 rank in the NFCN (actually, they'll probably beat out the Vikes). They're rather stacked with weapons, and kitna could throw for a million yards to CJ.

It's the bears division to lose.

1. Chicago
        2. GB
        3. Lions
        4. Vikes
        http://i38.tinypic.com/2aj2s7t.jpg
        For a good time call (303) 499-7111.whitspacsig by steel man

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"

Comment

Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
          Anyway, even assuming the Bears fall off a bit, are any of the other teams ready to take the division from them? On the surface it appears unlikely. I'd like to think the Lions will improve but enough to win the division? It would take a miracle. The Packers? I see them finishing last in the division, I don't see how their offense is going to produce much. The Vikings have the best chance in my opinion, AP will help them a lot if he's healthy and getting Greenway back will be like adding another first-round rookie. It's all up to Tarvaris Jackson, they're taking a big risk going with him but if he gets the job done, the Vikes will be pretty good.
          Jackson is even more of a wild-card chance than Rexy. If I had a choice between Jackson and Grossman, i'd pick grossman every time. He has the ability to be a playmaker and win games with his arm. Does he every time? No. Not yet, Jackson is less-proven, even less talented right now, and with Taylor and AP, i don't think they can provide the spark to win the division.

Comment

Originally posted by LionSmack View Post
            I'm not going to crack on the Bears too much, obviously I don't have much room to do so.

I think there's a chance that a number of things combine to make the Bears a lesser team than they were last year. Those things include: T. Jones leaving, Rex Grossman, Lance Briggs, Tank Johnson, Super Bowl loser effect. There's just as good of a chance that they keep their continuity rolling and remain about as good as last year also. I don't think they'll go back to the SB simply because the losing team in the inferior conference rarely does.
            Oh no doubt LS, no doubt. I actually predict we won't be as good as we were last year, playing wise and record wise but with how bad the NFC North is and how bad our conference is as a whole, we're still at the top of our conference.

It's no secret that the losing SB team doesn't do to well the following season. Although I still think we'll be pretty damn good.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
            Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

Originally posted by awfullyquiet View Post
              Chris Harris.

The weather was bad, and balls, fumbles, everything was getting dropped.

Yes, the Colts had better execution, and it didn't help that the safeties were playing 20 yds from the LOS...

As long as the defense keeps a positive turnover ratio, the bears will win the division. Period. When rex is inconsistant, you get games like Arizona vs Chicago, which if you have TiVo and NFLN, they're repeating it this week (or may have already) as a 'classic' game... I will write up something 'deep' when I get back from work. But until then. The lions will be making steps, and might challenge the #3 rank in the NFCN (actually, they'll probably beat out the Vikes). They're rather stacked with weapons, and kitna could throw for a million yards to CJ.

It's the bears division to lose.

1. Chicago
              2. GB
              3. Lions
              4. Vikes
              The Lions have no line (apart from Rogers) on either side of the ball. Skill guys are great, but having good lines on both sides of the ball are key to having a successful football team.

Oh and btw, it was Manning who blew the coverage on Wayne, not Harris. Chris actually played fairly solid in that game.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
              Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

The Lions have no line (apart from Rogers) on either side of the ball. Skill guys are great, but having good lines on both sides of the ball are key to having a successful football team.

Oh and btw, it was Manning who blew the coverage on Wayne, not Harris. Chris actually played fairly solid in that game.
                I was trying to imply, Chris Harris really played the ball well and caught mannings badly thrown pass probably due to the weather, bad release, shifty route... (I just said two words to throw everyone off :-p)

Manning blew coverage on Wayne (which really was eerily similar to last year vs carolina... i know that, wasn't that alfanso marshall?)... but Harris really covered fairly well.

The lions lines suck, agreed. But, even with the line sucking, the ball will be in the air all the time, if it was so atrocious last year, kitna couldn't have thrown for 4200 yards last year. They'll do decent with pass protection, but running? Uh. as borat would say. 'not so much'. kitna can throw for that much again. and with any sort of defensive improvement (such as one saved TD/gm) that'll be huge enough to engineer at least a 4 game swing.

Comment

The Bears won't be 13-3 or better this year. They have a murderous schedule. It's not as much about who they play, cause that's tough enough, but it's when they play. If I make predictions at all I'm gonna wait, it's still far too early, you can get a better sense of how the team will be in preseason/training camp. Right now it's all just a sheet of paper vs. a sheet of paper.
                  I remember: Sean Taylor

Bosanac01

Comment

Rex Grossman is inconsistent. To remain a starter in the NFL and to give your team the best chance to succeed, you need consistent play from your quarterback. Rex Grossman will be benched by mid season, and Brian Greise will be mediocre. This is the main reasoning behind the Bears missing the playoffs. With all the parody in the NFL the Lions could win the division :D

Comment

Looks like the Vikings and Lions will be in for another year of growing pains.

The Packers have a lot of question marks but could make a playoff/division title push if some key young players step up.

The Bears are the frontrunners right now but I'm still unconvinced that they'll have a year like last year. Quarterback is a big concern and I could see them having a fairly disappointing season.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikes99ej View Post
                        Sorry, as long as the Vikings, Lions, and Packers are in the division, the Bears basically have a free pass. We have a new (and definitely unproven)QB, the Packers still have Favre and a weak D, and the Lions are still the Lions.
                        Weak D? Our Defense wasn't weak last year and it should get better with Jenkins starting over KGB, the addition of Harrell, and the year of experience for our very young team. Not to sound like a homer, but I expect a top ten defense. If you are going to mention a weakness say the offensive run game.

Comment

I wouldn't say the Lions D-Line is bad considering that Redding/Rogers is a beastly DT tandem and Dewayne White is a solid defensive end. And well, the O-Line is far better than it was last year so it's not the weakness on the Lions, that would be ILB and the secondary.

Oh yeah and the Bears will win the division, what else is new.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

i wouldnt count on the bears just taking over again, they lost one of there backs, could lose Briggs, and the jinx form losing the SB.

Comment

It's possible the Bears dont dominate I guess. They have Rex Grossman at QB, Benson is completely unproven, teams might figure how to stop Hester scoring.

There are serious questions over their offense, its nice when you get to play 6 of your games against junk teams, but the Bears offense is one big question mark. How will the Briggs suspension and how will Harris and Brown come back from their injuries also is a factor.

That said, Vikings are just as bad on offense, probably worse given we are actually worse at QB to start the season, just as bad at RG and RT and relying on a pair of rookies to improve the WR spot. It is very conceivable that the Vikes are worse at QB and WR than at the same time last year. Defense will be solid, but it's all "ifs". If Udeze performs, if James is healthy, if Greenway is healthy(and any good), if we can get anything out of our safeties, if Henderson can play MLB this time around, if Griffin is starter worthy. Vikings will probably win 4-6 games but could just as easily win 10 or 0.

Packers have a lot of holes and questions, but they are just a few pieces from at least challenging the Bears. OL should be stronger, WR should be stronger and Favre has fallen as far as he is going to. Defensively they have Hawk, so they have a chance. They need to get production from 3 of their rookies though I think to have any real chance of challenging.

Who knows with the Lions. Sad that they have the 2nd best QB in the division. They have the best WR's, they have the most proven RB and probably the best RB group. OL looks good on paper. Defense is the big question for them. They look particularly bad against the pass to me, which is a non-factor in divisional games other than the Packers, but will hurt them when they play "real" teams.

If the Packers can consistently stop the run, they can very easily stop the other teams in the division scoring. If any team can get a consistent pass attack going they will get the same advantage. I can see there being some really ugly football though because the Bears offense is horrible looking, the Vikings looks worse, who knows what to expect from the Lions and the Packers live and die on Favre's every breath.

In short, who knows what to expect.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Ok here's a bit of a breakdown. I'd put more time into it, but I don't want to.

Passing Game
                                1)Detroit
                                2)Green Bay
                                3)Chicago
                                4)Minnesota

Analysis
                                -Wow. What a piece of monkey crap. Detroit really gets the nod by default and with CJ and RW it's pretty hard to argue that. I'm not a Kitna fan at all, and expect Stanton to be starting by week 9-10. The offensive line is still a huge question mark. While nobody can question the CJ pick, is Jeff Backus really a franchise left tackle? Does the addition of George Foster and Edwin Mutillo really fix what was arguably the worst offensive line last year? They've got a some studs out on the end, but Mike Martz's offense was golden in St.Louis because of Orlando Pace and Marshall Faulk. They don't have either of those guys in Detroit. Green Bay and Chicago are really neck and neck here. The Bears line is a little better at pass blocking and the Packers have a huge question mark at Tight End where I think the loss of David Martin will hurt more than some might think. Franks really isn't even serviceable and it's a huge head scratcher why they did nothing here. That being said, Favre is still better than Grossman, and the Packers offense is built around the pass while Chicago's is built around the run, so I give the nod to Green Bay here. As for Chicago, people will talk about Grossman but it's really a collaborative effort. Will Olsen be able to stretch the field enough to free up room for Berrian over the top? Can Moose still cut it as a bail out guy for Rexy? Is there enough depth at WR? There is a lot to be positive about here, but lots of question marks as well. Then we come to Minnesota. Ey yi yi! Tavaris Jackson drops back to pass, hits Bobby Wade for three yards, and the Vikings come out to punt. Expect to hear that a lot. I'm actually a Troy Williamson fan. That's about all the positives I can give out here.

Running Game
                                1)Minnesota
                                2)Chicago
                                3)Green Bay
                                4)Detroit

Analysis
                                -People might initially question Detroit below Green Bay but lets face it, Martz doesn't run the ball. They were dead last in rushing last year, in part because they were always coming back from behind, but in part because they just don't commit to running the ball. The injury of Kevin Jones is of a big concern, and Tatum Bell, while a good option off the bench, will be hurt by the poor offensive line play in Detroit. All this being said, is anyone overwhelmed by Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson. I actually like both guys, but the Packers division hopes for next year took a hit when Buffalo selected Marshawn Lynch. For a team that has few playmakers on offense they really can't afford to not have a dynamic back in the backfield and are really hoping that Jackson develops into that guy. I actually had Minnesota and Chicago closer than some might think. The Bears had a more consistent running game last year and while people are obviously going to get excited about Peterson, I would expect he and Taylor to see a LOT of 8-9 man fronts. That being said, Benson has yet to prove that he can be "the man" and 2 is usually better than one, so Minnesota takes it.

Overall Offense
                                1)Chicago
                                2)Green Bay
                                3)Detroit
                                4)Minnesota

-Whaaaaa?!?!? How can I put Chicago #1 when they aren't the best at the run or the pass? Simple. Balance. Detroit can't (or doesn't) run. Minnesota has no pass offense at all, and Green Bay actually has less playmakers than Chicago. If I was confident in Detroit's ability to keep Kitna upright I'd put them higher. I'm not. Chicago's offense gets run down but it's actually in the top half of the league, and this is not much of an offensive division.

Run Defense
                                1)Minnesota
                                2)Chicago
                                3)Green Bay
                                4)Detroit

-Minnesota was so good at stopping the run last year it was remarkable. I think the loss of Tomlin will hurt, probably more than people are acknowledging, but come on...I'm also excited to see how Greenway plays next year. They made a semi-bold move in letting Napoleon Harris walk and appointing Greenway the starter on the outside. Chicago is still a top 10 run defense and I think the addition of Archuleta in the box will help, but we're not as good as Minnesota and I'll be the first to admit that. If Briggs is gonzo we could dip a bit, maybe even below Green Bay, but that hasn't happened yet so for now it stands. I like Green Bay's defense in general, and am a huge A.J. Hawk fan. Lots of good defensive players in this division, especially at the linebacker position. Detroit has lots of question marks, and none of them bigger than their ability to stop the run. The linebacker position is a huge question mark and while they've got some defensive lineman that can get after the QB, none of them are particularly known for run-stuffing.

Pass Defense
                                1)Chicago
                                2)Green Bay
                                3)Detroit
                                4)Minnesota

Chicago is the clear #1 here. Good passrushers, good corners, the only question mark is the safety position but there's lots of depth and competition here. Green Bay has some real questions at the safety position, and while Nick Collins gets a lot of hype on here he had a lot of games last year where he looked absolutely lost. I think they could have done more to add speed to their secondary, but the Aaron Rouse pick was a good one. Detroit is kinda eh...I think Stanley Wilson could emerge as a good cover 2 corner but he needs to step up this year or he'll be replaced the next. Who is the other corner? Is Fernando Bryant still a starter there? If so, why? I like Daniel Bullocks at safety..I like him a lot actually, but Kennoy Kennedy already looks to be a bit of a free agency bust and another case where it's clear Millen really doesn't understand how to find talent that fits scheme. Minnesota should have been better against the pass. I guess it's just age catching up to them. Either way, they didn't get any younger this year, and I think it'll be second verse same as the first this year.

Overall Defense
                                1)Chicago
                                2)Minnesota
                                3)Green Bay
                                4)Detroit

-Please don't get snipey here Packers fans. It's close between Minnesota and Green Bay. I think both have good young defenses, but Minnesota is just so beastly against the run they get my tip o' the hat.

Special Teams
                                1)Chicago
                                2)Detroit
                                3)Green Bay
                                4)Minnesota

This is basically Chicago and everyone else, although Detroit actually has solid special teams. Devin Hester made Green Bay and Minny look silly. Minny seems to always have problems on special teams.

Overall Record
                                1)Chicago 11-5
                                2)Green Bay 8-8
                                3)Minnesota 6-10
                                4)Detroit 5-11

I actually didn't think I'd go this high on Chicago, but the more I look over the schedule the more I think 11 games is very reasonable. I was ready to anoint Green Bay the biggest competitor, and I guess they still are, but this was just a bad off-season for the short term. Ted Thompson's moves may pay off in the end but they needed Randy Moss and Marshawn Lynch and they got neither. They are still a talent strapped team and I just don't see them taking that next step this year. Minnesota and Detroit actually have a good number of things to be positive about, but they also have huge holes and either team could easily lose 12-13 games next year. I just don't see either team not having a losing record, not this year anyway.
                                Last edited by bearsfan_51; 05-11-2007, 10:46 AM.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information