Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Shawne Merriman Worthy of DPOY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    His season would be worthy of it if Jason Taylor wasn't so amazing. He is a bit overrated by the media IMO however. I heard a guy on the radio this morning saying he was going to be better than Lawrence Taylor. A little too early to be calling him the greatest defensive player of all time.

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by bigbluedefense
      Originally posted by SuperMcgee
      wow, schobel is tied for the league lead in sacks. nice
      London Fletcher top 5 dpoy candidate

      All Bills aside, Taylor should win it
      It didn't wind up in a sack, but did you see this one play?

      The commentators go "Dbrick is having his hands full with Schobel" and the very next play, Schobel absolutely slams Dbrick on the floor and goes right at Pennington who threw it away to avoid a sack.

      That was crazy...he destroyed Dbrick yesterday.

      And Im starting to turn the corner on Schobel...he's been very good this year and last year.

      I mentioned Merriman and not Schobel because Merriman did it with 4 less games, and as a Rushbacker.

      And yes, Fletcher is like Zach Thomas...no love for a great player.
      I only brought up Schobel because I just saw the stat and it seemed relevant, but yeah he had an amazing game yesterday.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Moses
        Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
        Originally posted by bearsfan_51
        Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
        Yes. Steroid rumors didn't keep Bonds from winning seven MVP's. It isn't a man of the year award. The question is, is he worthy of the DPOY award and the answer is plainly yes. That so many people voted no is just biased and stupid. Get over yourselves.
        I say no (although I didn't vote) because I don't think he deserves it, it has nothing to do with steroids. If you miss 1/4th of the season, I don't care how well you play the other 12, you don't deserve it, I don't care if it's because you're on crack or your hurt your foot bowling.

        Plus, he's not the leader of his team, and he's at least partially responsible for one the Chargers only two losses this year (trying to decapitate Todd Heap at the 2 yard line rather than simply tackling him).

        Merriman is a tremendous player, and likely will win the award sometime in his career, but not this year.
        No offense, but I think that is a ridiculously dumb qualifier that a player must play in all of his team's games to win a major award. He's played in enough games to tie for the league lead in sacks. I don't know what else the guy needs to do.

        To clarify, the topic said is Shawne Merriman worthy of DPOY and that is yes. Should he win it is up for debate, but he should without a doubt be in the mix. Anything less is biased nonsense.
        I can't see somebody who was suspended for violating the substance abuse policy winning the DPOY award. It just won't happen.
        If that is the only thing keeping him from winning it, the award itself is a farce. It's not a man of the year award.
        aka KGB Chicken

        Comment


        • #34
          No

          Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
          XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
          Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
          http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by ChargerCohen
            Just keep in mind that if he doesn't get it, whoever does get it will essentially be a poser unless their name is Urlacher. No defensive player has been more dominant on the field than Shawne this year, and the numbers don't even tell the whole story. He's forced interceptions, ruined countless plays with his constant pressure, and to boot nobody runs on him.

            That said, he won't get it. No dice. 4 game suspension.




            Seriously watch this guy fly around it's insane. He had a flying leap from like twenty feet away to club somebody Igor had already mostly taken down.
            Your a ******* homer too. JT has had a much better year then him.

            JT- 11.5 sacks, 8 force fumbles, and two int's both return for a td. And keep in mind that JT has been consistantly putting pressure on the QB's and plus, he didn't cheat.

            Comment


            • #36
              I would just like to point out JT has twice as many FF, twice as many INTs, and nearly twice as many PDs, and he has more tackles and Merriman only has 1 more sack. Even if Merriman missed 4 games with injury he hasn't had as good of a year as Taylor and the steroids are irrelevant. Add in the roids and I see no possibilty of Merriman gettin it.

              That is correct comahan
              I ******* LOVE YOU DG
              <3 dg

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
                Yes. Steroid rumors didn't keep Bonds from winning seven MVP's. It isn't a man of the year award. The question is, is he worthy of the DPOY award and the answer is plainly yes. That so many people voted no is just biased and stupid. Get over yourselves.
                Streriod rumors vs. actually getting caught. There is a huge difference. Shawne Merriman was actually caught using performance enhancing drugs--tainting the game. He does not now, nor does he ever deserve any award.

                Oldie but a goodie.

                Comment


                • #38
                  According to the 'once caught he never deserves an award' argument, Julius Peppers should never win it either. Ephedra is banned acrossed the board by pro sports, it's noted for being a stimulant similar to adrenaline. And looking at his body, can anyone honestly say that a 6'6" 280-lbs, 4.7, 40-inch guy is like that naturally? He no doubt is on HGH, which is something a likely shocking amount of football players are on.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by nobodyinparticular
                    Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
                    Yes. Steroid rumors didn't keep Bonds from winning seven MVP's. It isn't a man of the year award. The question is, is he worthy of the DPOY award and the answer is plainly yes. That so many people voted no is just biased and stupid. Get over yourselves.
                    Streriod rumors vs. actually getting caught. There is a huge difference. Shawne Merriman was actually caught using performance enhancing drugs--tainting the game. He does not now, nor does he ever deserve any award.
                    Then let me clarify. Bonds admitted steroid usage to a grand jury. Therefore, no difference. To say that Merriman does not ever deserve an award is laughable. As long as he's allowed to play in the NFL he is deserving of any award that his performance warrants. The level of self righteousness in your post is amazing.
                    aka KGB Chicken

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Shiver
                      According to the 'once caught he never deserves an award' argument, Julius Peppers should never win it either. Ephedra is banned acrossed the board by pro sports, it's noted for being a stimulant similar to adrenaline. And looking at his body, can anyone honestly say that a 6'6" 280-lbs, 4.7, 40-inch guy is like that naturally? He no doubt is on HGH, which is something a likely shocking amount of football players are on.
                      LOL, ephedra is hardly comparable to anabolic steroids.

                      Any player in the NFL COULD have used HGH, but this isn't a witch hunt. Merriman actually got caught with steroids, we don't have to guess with him.

                      He is 100%, without a doubt, a cheater.


                      Originally posted by BrownsTown

                      If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

                      2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Ephedra is a worth the same four game suspension as Nandrolone.

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

                        Ephedra is both a stimulant (similar to adrenaline) and a thermogenic. It stimulates the brain, increases heart rate, constricts blood vessels (increasing blood pressure), and expands bronchial tubes (making breathing easier). Its thermogenic properties cause an increase in metabolism, evidenced by an increase in body heat.
                        Oft-mocked Todd Sauerbrun's suspension was because of Ephedra. If using any performance enhancer is 'cheating' then it should have a broad definition to any and every performance supplement.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          And he was suspended for what? Oh yea, steroids. I don't think so. JT gets my vote right now.


                          Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

                          Originally posted by JBCX
                          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            i doubt he wins it because of the steroids, but he is arguably the most dominant defensive player in the league....

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Shiver
                              Ephedra is a worth the same four game suspension as Nandrolone.

                              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ephedra

                              Ephedra is both a stimulant (similar to adrenaline) and a thermogenic. It stimulates the brain, increases heart rate, constricts blood vessels (increasing blood pressure), and expands bronchial tubes (making breathing easier). Its thermogenic properties cause an increase in metabolism, evidenced by an increase in body heat.
                              Oft-mocked Todd Sauerbrun's suspension was because of Ephedra. If using any performance enhancer is 'cheating' then it should have a broad definition to any and every performance supplement.
                              Never said they didn't earn the same suspension, just that they aren't comparable when we're discussing Merriman's situation.

                              You can't paint this situation with a broad brush. A suspension from ephedra isn't nearly as concerning as being caught using anabolic steroids, which is a blatant attempt to circumvent the rules.


                              Originally posted by BrownsTown

                              If Chase Daniel finishes top 5 in the Heisman I'll cut my balls off.

                              2008 COTTON BOWL CHAMPIONS

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                He is a great defender and is having a great year but with the suspension I don't think he'll get it. It will probably go to a guy like Ed Reed, Ray Lewis, Champ Bailey or Brian Urlacher.

                                Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information