No announcement yet.

Is Shawne Merriman Worthy of DPOY?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He was punished for it already. Does that mean that if he doesn't test positive from here on out, for the rest of his career, that he is steroid clean? Or as NIP wants, just assume he's a cheater at all times?

Comment

Originally posted by Shiver
      Don't condone it, but accept the reality of the situation. No one can accurately say who is on steroids and performance enhancers and who isn't. Say that Merriman isn't given the award, but Urlacher or Peppers are. Who is to say that those two aren't on anything? Urlacher is 6'4" 260-lbs and can run like linebackers much smaller than he is. Peppers is 6'6" 280-lbs and can move and run like a typical 3-4 rushbacker, except at 30-lbs larger. It's really easy to become paranoid and skeptical regarding pro sports.
      That is not only accepting the situation, but it is accepting the use of steroids. Accepting the use of steroids results in condoning the use of steroids whether you call it that or not. It is what it is.

And to answer your question about Urlacher and Peppers, the results of the urine samples they have given say they are not on anabolic steroids. (that can be detected at least)

The fact remains that Merriman tested positive. Urlacher did not. Neither did Taylor. Neither did Bailey. As a result, you punish the ones who have tested positive first. Then, if you would like, you strengthen the testing program. Take blood samples. (which is what it takes to detect HGH) Commit money to researching better testing. And punish those who have tested positive.

If it was Urlacher or Taylor who had tested positive, I would be holding the same argument for them. I find it absolutely despicable when people think they can cut corners to artificially raise their performance level. It is not just tainting their numbers, but it ruins the game and ruins the sport on all levels.

You have to punish those who have been caught first. That's the first step and it must be done.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

If they get blood testing, and stricter testing, then by all means punish those who are caught. The problem with this scenario is there are so many loopholes. The only thing Merriman proved to me is that he is stupid to not get away with it like the other guys. My question, does one test mean he is always disqualified for any kind of recognition in your mind?

Comment

He was punished for it already. Does that mean that if he doesn't test positive from here on out, for the rest of his career, that he is steroid clean? Or as NIP wants, just assume he's a cheater at all times?
          absolutely not, but it means he cheated this season. thus, this season, he shouldn't be rewarded for playing illegally, and moreso because none of the other guys mentioned have tested positive for steroid use this season.

8.5 of his sacks occured while he was using steroids, i don't believe there's any way that you can justify that as making him worthy of the DPOY award. next year, if he tests clean all season, sure. this year he didn't.

(keep in mind that my argument is based on the NFL rules, if i had it my way, players would be banned for life on the first positive test)

Comment

Okay, I agree with that. I think Taylor is more deserving anyway, but whatever. I just don't agree that Merriman should be branded for life as a cheater.

Comment

How ironic, Jason Taylor and the Dolphins steal protection signals. I wonder how many people think that his "cheating" invalidates his DPOY chances. :roll:
              aka KGB Chicken

Comment

Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
                How ironic, Jason Taylor and the Dolphins steal protection signals. I wonder how many people think that his "cheating" invalidates his DPOY chances. :roll:
                I think that the fact that Sean Salisbury thinks he is cheating validates his DPOY chances. Nobody respects Salisburys opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                  absolutely not, but it means he cheated this season. thus, this season, he shouldn't be rewarded for playing illegally, and moreso because none of the other guys mentioned have tested positive for steroid use this season.

8.5 of his sacks occured while he was using steroids, i don't believe there's any way that you can justify that as making him worthy of the DPOY award. next year, if he tests clean all season, sure. this year he didn't.

(keep in mind that my argument is based on the NFL rules, if i had it my way, players would be banned for life on the first positive test)
                  Ok Shiver, my view of Merriman being a cheater always and forever is a little out there. It is, mostly based on the idea that if he cheated with anabolic steroids now, then he could just as easily switch to HGH after his first positive test which won't be caught because of the loopholes as you stated. My argument for the lifetime question on him is that he was caught and known to have cheated with steroids so who is to say that he didn't just go find a trainer who hooked him up with HGH so he doesn't get caught--thus sustaining his high level of performance illegally once again, but this time with an undetectable substance.

It somewhat the same argument that someone who was convicted of grand theft auto is going to be under greater suspicion (whether it is warranted or not) than someone who has not been convicted of anything if there is the same evidence.

Certainly I would agree with Njx that he should not be up for any awards this year at all because of the positive test--the fact that many of the stats he reached this year were steroid induced. And I am certainly for blood testing and stricter, more frequent testing for performance enhancing steroids as well. I also agree with Njx that the punishment should be a lot stricter. At least a full season--if not more on the first test. By the second positive test, lifetime ban and perhaps even wipe the career stats clean.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

I dont understand Chargers fans. How can you defend a player on your team who took steroids? Personally if a player on my team got caught Id hate them for the rest of my life. And I would because they let me down. Merriman let every fan of the chargers and the NFL down by taking steroids. He soiled his reputation and gained negative attention for his team. He thought of himself not what his actions effects would be on his teammates, the kids who looked up to him, and the reputation of the league's players. He looked in the face of every fan and lied to them when he said he was clean and a product of hardwork and nature. Thats why he doesnt deserve it. And that is why he should be held accountable for his actions and not have excuses made for him by "fans" of the chrgers who should hold him to higher standards than the rest of the league.

Comment

Originally posted by weezer1195
                      I dont understand Chargers fans. How can you defend a player on your team who took steroids? Personally if a player on my team got caught Id hate them for the rest of my life. And I would because they let me down. Merriman let every fan of the chargers and the NFL down by taking steroids. He soiled his reputation and gained negative attention for his team. He thought of himself not what his actions effects would be on his teammates, the kids who looked up to him, and the reputation of the league's players. He looked in the face of every fan and lied to them when he said he was clean and a product of hardwork and nature. Thats why he doesnt deserve it. And that is why he should be held accountable for his actions and not have excuses made for him by "fans" of the chrgers who should hold him to higher standards than the rest of the league.
                      Merriman hasn't let me down at all. Steroids is the biggest boogeyman in pro sports today and the media has taken it and run with it, and brainwashed a lot of impressionable people as well. I suggest you spend some serious time in a gym sometime and figure out that steroids are a part of life. Merriman apologized to all of his fans and was determined to come back better than ever, and he has. People want him banned for life? What happened to giving someone a second chance? The NFL has a policy, and as long as he abides by that policy from now on he shouldn't be subject to any more jealous scrutiny.

This is sports and entertainment. It's funny and disturbing at the same time that who I assume to be grown men act like girls over an issue like steroids. Steroids have been around for years folks, and they're here to stay.
                      aka KGB Chicken

Comment

yes he's worthy based on his play. the guy is unstoppable and changes the outcome of games. he makes big plays every game, and what he's done in less games is unbelieveable.

will he get it....no, because the league can't justify giving it to someone who got caught for what he did. it would lead to more problems down the line and nothing would be learned. the guy is a freak of nature and deserves the award if not for the suspension.

worthy, yes and no. can he get it...NO

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Originally posted by dRaFtDoRk
                        You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.

Comment

I voted yes, but I don't think he'll get it. Merriman is tied for league lead in sacks while still missing four games. He's also forced four fumbles. I don't think he will get it because of the steriod suspension, but he is very well deserving of it.

I think it will end up being Jason Taylor. He's right up there with Julius Peppers, who is another nominee, as the most versatile defender in the NFL.

Comment

Originally posted by weezer1195
                            Merriman hasn't let me down at all. Steroids is the biggest boogeyman in pro sports today and the media has taken it and run with it, and brainwashed a lot of impressionable people as well. I suggest you spend some serious time in a gym sometime and figure out that steroids are a part of life.

*snip*

This is sports and entertainment. It's funny and disturbing at the same time that who I assume to be grown men act like girls over an issue like steroids. Steroids have been around for years folks, and they're here to stay.
                            that's absolutely pathetic. steroids were NEVER a part of my high school's weight program. they were NEVER a part of the weight program of the college i played at.

by this disgusting reasoning, all sports should just legalize them, and, should actually push their athletes to take them. because, they're such a part of sports.

this is just homerism. that's the only honest explanation for the lengths you're going to.

Comment

link it.
                              There is no way you can compare using steroids and stealing signals. No way

Comment

Originally posted by Windy City Big Gamer Uno
                                link it.
                                There is no way you can compare using steroids and stealing signals. No way
                                yeah, found the thread below. i'm curious, if you were going to make that comparison, where, in the rules, stealing signs is illegal. i can find the passage that makes certain substances illegal if the charger fans are going to try to argue next that it's somehow the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information