The Lawrence Taylor Appreciation Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Lawrence Taylor Appreciation Thread

Ive done Singletary and Lambert, now I found a cool clip on Taylor to share with the board, so I figured Id make a thread on him too. Actually, you should check out this guys profile, he has lots of cool clips from players from back then. I highly recommend it.

Anyway, this guy to me, is the greatest football player ever. We have never seen, and probably never will see a defender impact the game with such magnitude as he did. He forever changed the game. The way defenses rush the passer, the way offenses block, the way the 3-4 defense is played, the list goes on and on.

I won't say much, because Im a Giants fan and don't want to come off as a homer. I enjoy making these threads because I always felt that in order to truely understand football, you have to understand the evolution of the game and the history of the players that helped pave the way for how the current game is played. Lawrence Taylor is surely one of those guys. Players like Sam Huff, Dick Butkus, Jack Lambert, Joe Greene, LT, Deacon Jones, these guys some of the many players who helped evolve the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03-7sCmoF6w
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_taylor

Like I said, this guy has some good stuff in his profile. You should check all of it out.
    Last edited by bigbluedefense; 05-22-2007, 03:35 PM.

Hopefully Timmons is 1/10th the Player he is.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Don't hate, appreciate, BBD you always make appreciation threads, not that it's a bad thing. A friend of mine's uncle played for the Giants back in the day and sustained a career ending injury from Lawrence Taylor in practice.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
        Don't hate, appreciate, BBD you always make appreciation threads, not that it's a bad thing. A friend of mine's uncle played for the Giants back in the day and sustained a career ending injury from Lawrence Taylor in practice.
        He went hard in practice and at times, went a little too far. LT couldn't comprehend going 70%. It was all or nothing with him. Sorry to hear about that.

Comment

i miss him... alot. Just so unbelievable. Knew how to use his anger and took it out on his opponents legally. Unlike a certain now retired left tackle giants fans know...
          We ALL bleed scarlet
          New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
          UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
          Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
          BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
            you just hate offense.

it is amazing to watch him blast through guys and still get after the quarterback. i figured it was only a matter of time before someone asked if he could still play today, but seeing that video, it seems like a silly question. (clearly before seeing that video, too, but it should put that question to rest)
            Lol, don't care much for offense. I love running backs, and offensive linemen, but never cared much for receivers and quarterbacks. I like tight ends too (don't make that into a joke).

Usually when i watch a football game, I like to analyze how the game is played from an X and O standpoint. Most of the time, I just key into the defense, because thats what I enjoy the most, so I have more knowledge about it compared to offense. Offense can get complicated, from the routes to the protection schemes etc.

Someone should make similar threads based on offensive guys, lol. I was thinking about making a thread dedicated to the evolution of the game, breaking down how defense evolved from 6-1 to 4-3 to 3-4 etc. And all the coaches and players who made it possible, but its simply waaaaay too long for me to do. Thats a damn thesis report.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
              Lol, don't care much for offense. I love running backs, and offensive linemen, but never cared much for receivers and quarterbacks. I like tight ends too (don't make that into a joke).

Usually when i watch a football game, I like to analyze how the game is played from an X and O standpoint. Most of the time, I just key into the defense, because thats what I enjoy the most, so I have more knowledge about it compared to offense. Offense can get complicated, from the routes to the protection schemes etc.

Someone should make similar threads based on offensive guys, lol. I was thinking about making a thread dedicated to the evolution of the game, breaking down how defense evolved from 6-1 to 4-3 to 3-4 etc. And all the coaches and players who made it possible, but its simply waaaaay too long for me to do. Thats a damn thesis report.
              Killjoy.

LT was a beast. I'd be scared silly if I was a QB.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
              don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

GOAT at linebacker.

Plus, he's awesome in the best football movie of all-time.

Comment

The old head coach at my school won a SB with LT, I never asked him about LT though, would have been smart, oh well.

That is correct comahan
                  I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                  <3 dg

Comment

The Saints hold a special place in my heart for passing up Lawrence Taylor for a running back who lasted 6 years I believe in the NFL and never rushed for more than 1200 yards.

God bless you New Orlean Saints. I can't thank you enough for that. Especially when every single GM in the NFL wouldve chose LT with the #1 pick in that draft.

Comment

Good thing he played in the 80's. Goddell would have banned his ass from the league by year five.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
                        Good thing he played in the 80's. Goddell would have banned his ass from the league by year five.
                        More like year 3.

Comment

i still think LT look more scary with a beard

Comment

I should make a Derrick Brooks appreciation thread when he retires. Your sig says "Instincts>Speed". Brooks is exceptional at both and revolutionized the linebacker position from a speed and coverage standpoint. Great person on and off the field too.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by njx9
                              i don't know that brooks has "revolutionized" the position in anything approaching the way taylor did.
                              Maybe not, but how many undersized WILL linebackers (Cover 2) are now among the league leaders in tackles every year? A lot. Brooks opened the doors (along with Ray Lewis) for speedier undersized linebackers or 'tweeners. Taylor revolutionized the 3-4 OLB disruptor position. It's apples and oranges.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information