No announcement yet.

Steelers,Big Ben talk big extension?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to agree, he's what I'd call a good QB but nothing more. If the kid showed he could carry a team I'd be happy to seem him get a massive contract but really, can he?

I know he's had a few great games, but he's always had a stellar supporting cast.

Comment

i love it =)

give him the big contract

and give troy one too

and we will have three guys (ben, troy, willie) to build around

Comment

Polamalu is an interesting player, I think he's overrated, very good, but not as good as some people think.

Comment

Don't know when Parker's is out, but I'd much rather sign him up to a big deal then Big Ben. If I was their FO, I'd wait till the end of this year before doing anything rash.

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
            Don't know when Parker's is out, but I'd much rather sign him up to a big deal then Big Ben. If I was their FO, I'd wait till the end of this year before doing anything rash.

they locked him up last off season along wiht taylor

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
              Polamalu is an interesting player, I think he's overrated, very good, but not as good as some people think.
              He is not overrated in my book he is top 3 at his position can take a over a game.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                He is not overrated in my book he is top 3 at his position can take a over a game.

the only thing that leaves him off of not bein past ed reed is that reed has great cover skills while troy doesnt

Comment

Polamalu is a liability at times in coverage. Peyton manning goes after him like its nobody's business.

Comment

Ben is a much better player than most give him credit for. Everyone says that he never takes over games or carries the team but how many QBs do in their first few years in the league? In Ben's first two seasons he was asked to do very little in terms of throwing the ball. His job was to not throw interceptions and he did it well. When the playoffs hit he got alot more responsibility and handled it very well. He really did carry the Steelers through the games leading up to the Superbowl.

Last year he was going to be given alot more of an opportunity but he was plagued with injuries and the O-line played horribly as well. He was sacked more in one game against the Ravens than he was in the playoffs. Not saying he didn't play bad himself but at the same time the entire blame doesn't belong on him.

With Tomlin and new OC Bruce Arians offense Ben should do better. Alot of the plays will be run out of shotgun forms which Ben has played alot better in. Plus the offense will actually be designed for a runner like Willie instead of Bettis. This offense will feature more spread offense than the Steelers are used to which should help Ben.

I'm expecting Ben to have better stats than usual because of the spread offense and he will have most of the responsibility in the offense. This season will be a major test for him. He's going to have a chance to prove himself as a franchise QB in a new offense built to suit him. If he has another good season he will give himself alot of leverage in negotiations next offseason.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Polamalu is a liability at times in coverage. Peyton manning goes after him like its nobody's business.
                      Polamalu isn't in coverage very often to even be a liability. Alot of the time he is either blitzing or lined up with the linebackers. It wasn't very often he had deep coverage. Thats something he is probably going to have to improve on if we are to run a full scale Cover 2 eventually. When he has been in coverage he has always been way better in zone than in man though.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

Big Ben is the man!

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                          http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl

The Steelers and Ben Roethlisberger's agent have had early talks about a contract extension for the young quarterback. While it appears nothing will be done this season, the machinery is gearing up for what should be the largest contract in the organization's history. Roethlisberger's next deal looms large over the organization already and might be one reason they won't or can't pay six-time Pro Bowl guard Alan Faneca enough to keep him here beyond the 2007 season.
                          There's just discussions, they're not even in talks yet. And when you get a Franchise QB of Bens capability (Even though people here hate him) you sign him long term.

Originally posted by fenikz
                          i dont think he has proven that he is worth a huge contract, if he has a good year though it would help me believe more in him
                          I have just written off anybody actually getting him credit for his accomplishments. I mean, Philip Rivers had 1 solid season and there were cries of him being the best of the 3 QB's. Eli hasn't but "He passes more" so obviously he gets the rank above Ben.

Ben had 2 solid seasons, 1 really bad one. I don't like getting into hypotheticals, but I would be interested in seeing Eli or Philip have near death experiences, emergency appendectomy's, and see how their season unfolds.

Ben is underrated, mostly because for some reason, a lot of people try to short change his accomplishments because "He had a great defense", but of course it doesn't come into play for other guys (or the fact Rivers had LT and Turner)

Originally posted by Phrost
                          Its gonna suck when they realize he literally rode his RBs backs to the SB and that he can't take over a game by himself.
                          again like above. Who did Rivers ride this year? LT/Turner/Gates. Ben has taken games over by himself. Obviously you didn't see the Denver or Cincinnati game of last post season. I know more than one occasion he made big plays. I expect a big season.

Name me 1 QB that can literally "Take over a game by himself" because unfortunately unless your Mike Vick, you need to utilize your WR's and RB's. God forbid Ben was a leader and made plays, but other guys got the #'s.

Fine, Peyton Manning rode his defense and Joseph Addai/Dominic Rhodes to a Superbowl.

Same with Rivers and LT/Turner.

Originally posted by BlindSite
                          I tend to agree, he's what I'd call a good QB but nothing more. If the kid showed he could carry a team I'd be happy to seem him get a massive contract but really, can he?

I know he's had a few great games, but he's always had a stellar supporting cast.
                          Manning has Plaxico, Tiki, Amani Toomer, Brandon Jacobs
                          Rivers has Gates, LT, Turner
                          Manning has Addai (Edge/Faulk), Wayne, Harrison, Clark, Utecht and now 1st round pick Gonzalez
                          Palmer has CJ, Housh, Henry, Johnson, Perry and now Irons

I love my teams players, but it's hard to put our offenses above those.

Ben is well worth that contract.

Originally posted by skinzzfan25
                          Parker signed last offseason.
                          Last edited by Mr. Stiller; 05-24-2007, 09:06 PM.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

I actually think it's a bad idea to give Polamalu a superstar contract; the concussion problem has reared its head a few times, and he's probably worth more in trade than to the team. Don't get me wrong, I love Troy and will never forgive AJ for passing on him in the same offseason we cut Rodney Harrison (his two worst moves rolled into one), but I don't think he's going to be playing into his 30s.

Comment

Yes like when Troy picked him off twice...in the last two games they played against each other.

I'd rather have Troy back then Ben

But honestly what is it with pittsburgh is there any player that isn't viewed as overrated.
                              Last edited by DeathbyStat; 05-25-2007, 11:32 AM.

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
                              Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting

Comment

Originally posted by DeathbyStat View Post
                                Yes like when Troy picked him off twice...in the last two games they played against each other.

I'd rather have Troy back then Ben

But honestly what is it with pittsburgh is there any player that isn't viewed as overrated.
                                It's probably a direct result of winning the superbowl and then falling flat on their face.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information