Steelers are running a 3-4

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Don Vito View Post
    Yea they definitely did add some players who fit well into the tampa 2 like Timmons (OLB), Woodley (OLB), and McBean (as a DT fits the bill well). But they have a lot of other guys who don't really look like ideal tampa 2 guys. They could possibly succeed, but Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and Brent Keisel look like awkward fits. Their top 3 corners (McFadden, Taylor, Colclough) aren't as solid against the run as you look for a tampa 2 CB to be. Clark Haggans and Jerome Harrison are solid rushers as 3-4 OLBs, but neither look to have the size to hold up at end or the ability to play tampa 2 OLB. Harrison could possibly play SLB in the scheme but I don't really see it. They look to be built for a 3-4 and the rookies, even though they have tampa 2 potential, look to be good 3-4 guys as well.
    Aaron Smith would be a good UT to pair next to Hampton. As would McBean.

Casey Hampton, I don't know why everyone thinks in a 4-3 he'd be useless, he's a hold the point run plugger, with another guy on the line, thats less Double teams, he's athletic enough to get into the backfield.

Brett Keisel put up great stats in a 3-4 as a part time Passrusher from the RDE spot. I think he could be an Aaron Schobel like pass rusher, not the great Physical aspect, but the non-stop motor.

Which is likely what it will look at during times Woodley comes up from LB to put his hand down...

At which Timmons/Harrison will be WLB, Foote will be MLB and Farrior SLB.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
      Casey Hampton, I don't know why everyone thinks in a 4-3 he'd be useless, he's a hold the point run plugger, with another guy on the line, thats less Double teams, he's athletic enough to get into the backfield.

I agree with this whole heartedly. Casey Hampton would do a lot of damage on the linein either a 4-3 or a 3-4.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
      Originally posted by Scott Wright
      Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.

Comment

Originally posted by Dam8610 View Post
        LaMarr Woodley could very easily become a Tampa 2 end, and Lawrence Timmons fits the bill of a Tampa 2 LB very well. They probably won't switch this year or maybe even next year, but the personnel they drafted in April doesn't neccessarily indicate that they plan to stick with a base 3-4 for a long time.
        Lawrence Timmons was underrated as a 3-4 OLB prospect. I thought he was one of the best 3-4 OLB prospects besides Jarvis Moss in the draft. The personnel the Steelers have at LB is intriguing because it allows them a great deal of versitility. At LB I don't see any problem for them going from 3-4 to 4-3, but the secondary and D-Line just aren't built for that system.

Comment

alot of their success comes from running the 3-4, why change it?

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
            Lawrence Timmons was underrated as a 3-4 OLB prospect. I thought he was one of the best 3-4 OLB prospects besides Jarvis Moss in the draft. The personnel the Steelers have at LB is intriguing because it allows them a great deal of versitility. At LB I don't see any problem for them going from 3-4 to 4-3, but the secondary and D-Line just aren't built for that system.
            Secondary doesn't change? We run a Zone Coverage... In a Tampa2 it would still be a zone coverage.

As for DL...

DL (L to R): Aaron Smith - Casey Hampton - Brett Keisel
            LB (L to R): LaMarr Woodley - James Farrior - Larry Foote - James Harrison
            DB (L to R): Ike Taylor - Troy Polamalu - Anthony Smith - Bryant McFadden

4-3:

DL (L to R): LaMarr Woodley - Aaron Smith - Casey Hampton - Brett Keisel
            LB (L to R): James Farrior - Larry Foote - James Harrison

Brett Keisel is an underrated pass rusher and he's going to be a weapon to keep your eye on.

Aaron Smith fits the UT position perfectly.

Woodley is a perfect Tampa2 DE. He's more complete than Dwight Freeney. Freeney sells out for the QB, Woodley actually plays the run as well as rush the passer.

Hampton is one of the best NT's in the NFL, I don't get why people think he's limited to a 3-4, I think he might even be more of a beast in a 4-3 where he has less double teams.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/CENTER]

Comment

I personally think, in the zone blitz, the Steelers run the perfect scheme for the 3-4 formation. I also agree with what diabsoule mentioned about how you could get away with a cover 2 3-4. The scheme I think would be poorest in combination with this formation would be the 2 deep, man under. I know teams that use this formation almost always rush at least 1 linebacker, but that is pretty well how you would have to do it with that scheme/formation combination; otherwise, your man-to-man cover men would outnumber the eligible receivers 6-5.

Originally posted by Hurricane Ditka
              The common misconception is that Cover 2 only refers to the Tampa 2.
              That's because, at least it seems, it's the most common variety of the cover 2.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.

Comment

Working...
              X

Debug Information