Best NFC LB Unit from Sporting News

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bryanGENE View Post
    Courtesy of Sporting News: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=212968

What are your views? What team do you believe to have the best LB unit in the NFC? What do you think of the individual LB rank:

1. Brian Urlacher, Bears. He is asked to do many different things in the middle of the cover 2 and is always around the ball.

2. DeMarcus Ware, Cowboys. He is emerging as one of the top young defensive stars in the game, and his best football is still in front of him.

3. Lofa Tatupu, Seahawks. He does not look impressive in pads, but he is a natural leader who makes plays all over the field.

4. Julian Peterson, Seahawks. His tremendous closing speed and rare first step as a pass rusher make him a game-changer.

5. Lance Briggs, Bears. Though he plays in Urlacher's shadow, he is nearly on par in terms of ability.
    I know this isn't your list, but I'd definitely put Peterson above Tatupu. In fact, I don't think I'd have Tatupu on here. Peterson at 3 sounds good to me, Briggs at 4 is good.

In looking over a list of the NFC LBs, I'm not sure about #5. After that I see two things--#1 is that there is a real lack of LB talent in the NFC and #2 maybe Tatupu belongs in the top 5 afterall due to the effects of #1.

At the moment, I would debate between Tatupu and Brooks being at #5. Brooks there because he's still good, but he's not his former self. Tatupu would be there more based on potential rather than last year. In fact, I feel that both of them had down years in 2006 compared to 2005. I thought Lofa was a better LB his rookie year and had a bit of a sophomore slump. Maybe that's just me though.

Oldie but a goodie.

Comment

I'd have Brooking above Tatupu.

Comment

Davis > Hawk

i saw the Patriots-Packers game..Hawk had 13 tackles. But guess what. His tackles were literally 5 yards downfield . He got beat by Watson twice trying to cover him then they let Collins-Poppinga i think try

I've seen a lot of Davis..he was an ex safety..hes fast, strong and kid can hit. Dont look into stats..i can name you a few players with better stats but less real production

Look at Vilma: 113 tackles..and he sucked last year in the 3-4.

I loved when Davis wasnt really a starter his rookie season vs Michael Vick. They kept him in as a spy and Vick did absolutely nothing. The kid chased him from side to side and shut Mike Vick down.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
          Which is exactly the point. If he's crap in man coverage he's going to get thrown at more, thus his chances of taking an INT are higher, if he's in zone because he can't cover man to man, much of the same. Its the same concept. Better stats don't always mean better play. If a player is attacked more they're going to have more tackles, and ints.
          not necessarily, look at Ray Lewis in his prime for example, people avoided him and he still got near the lead league in tackles.

Comment

49ers at #5 is fair imo. TBC is proven for getting after the QB. Manny has great rush/coverage skills but needs to work on run defense. Patrick Willis is unproven at the moment, but he will surpass Smith for starter easily. Moore is the most underrated LB in the league possibly and does everything great.

Faithful Niner Fan

Comment

Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
              wow Panthers @ 12! behind Vikings..Rams..Saints?

i would take a healthy Morgan-Beason-Thomas anyday of the weak over any other LB group
              sure, when their heatlhy but morgan is never healthy

Go Ravens!

Comment

6 for the Packer's seems about right.

Sig thanks to mockalicious

Comment

BlindSite you are being a ridiculous homer about this man, it's almost to the point where it's frustrating to see. Thomas Davis is not a better LB than AJ Hawk, period. Barnett is much more consistent than Morgan and can actually stay on the field for an entire season, in fact Nick is one of the more underrated players in the NFC on the defensive side of the ball. And Poppinga right now is better than Beason, because Jon hasn't proven anything on the field.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                  Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

wow have u seen the afc rankings

the steelers 11th

behind the texans and the raiders and the titans

Comment

Where is Nick Barnett? He's a stud LB.

I'd say Lofa is good, but not better than Barnett.

Comment

OLB, Scott Shanle - Tackles, 73, Assists, 24, Sacks, 4, Forced Fumbles, 1

SLB, Scott Fujita - Tackles, 64, Assists, 32, Sacks, 3.5, Interceptions, 2, Forced Fumbles, 1

I'm not saying the Saints Linebackers are anything close to great, but they must be doing something right and are underrated as many still say they are horrible at best. Also, Brian Simmons will start over Mark Simoneau at Middle Linebacker. Stopping the run is Simoneau's biggest weakness, and is a strength for Simmons.

Comment

Originally posted by SaintsMan View Post
                          OLB, Scott Shanle - Tackles, 73, Assists, 24, Sacks, 4, Forced Fumbles, 1

SLB, Scott Fujita - Tackles, 64, Assists, 32, Sacks, 3.5, Interceptions, 2, Forced Fumbles, 1

I'm not saying the Saints Linebackers are anything close to great, but they must be doing something right and are underrated as many still say they are horrible at best. Also, Brian Simmons will start over Mark Simoneau at Middle Linebacker. Stopping the run is Simoneau's biggest weakness, and is a strength for Simmons.
                          The Saints LB's are anything but underrated. They just aren't good.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Originally posted by JBCX
                          Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.

Comment

lol somenes gotta get the stats..besides the front 4 of the saints..no1 impressed me.

Comment

Originally posted by sweetness34 View Post
                              BlindSite you are being a ridiculous homer about this man, it's almost to the point where it's frustrating to see. Thomas Davis is not a better LB than AJ Hawk, period. Barnett is much more consistent than Morgan and can actually stay on the field for an entire season, in fact Nick is one of the more underrated players in the NFC on the defensive side of the ball. And Poppinga right now is better than Beason, because Jon hasn't proven anything on the field.

My opinion has been agreed with by a guy who's not a Panthers fan, therefore you can't really call me a homer because its not just one lone panthers fan with this opinion...

Greenbay's defense while decent, as a whole is overrated imo.

Comment

Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
                                okay so why are Vikings so high? They add in Greenway..unproven. Leber is not very good..Henderson is good though.

Willis is unproven so why are 49ers so high?

Derek Smith blows..i've seen him a few times and the 49er fans have bashed him. Moore i dont know much about..Lawson will be a good player but how much has he proven?

thats why i brought Beason up..the site put in Willis and Greenway .
                                Leber actually performed very well last season and was extremely consistent.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information