Cuban Wants New League to Rival NFL...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JMiah
    started a topic Cuban Wants New League to Rival NFL...

Cuban Wants New League to Rival NFL...

Link below...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2887465

• Jay
    replied
    I like this idea if they are smart and don't try to actually compete with the NFL. I like it if they continue to put teams in markets without pro football. So you can have teams in Mexico City, Las Vegas and LA like mentioned, then maybe there are teams in Portland, Oregon, Hartford (the new UConn Stadium), Memphis, San Antonio, etc. It could work that way. I don't think anyone will ever be able to compete with the NFL. Ever. So they would be smart to simply try and work with them...

Leave a comment:

• Splat
    replied
    Originally posted by High Roller View Post
    That's why NBA and MLB aren't as big as NFL...there are games every day and they're not special. The NFL schedule is 16 games - 17 weeks. As much as I would like to watch Football year round, it could be detrimental to the way I view the game.
    Yep Yep the way I see it.

Leave a comment:

• eacantdraft
    replied
    Originally posted by WooWoo21 View Post
    You cant really compare this to the XFL, because what Vince tried to do was change the way the game was played. If Cuban wants his league to work he will have to sign big name free agents from the NFL who are already household names. Although I love the way the new commissoner is handling business and weeding out the badseeds it isnt hard to imagine players like Pac Man Jones, Mike Vick, Chris Henry, and Ricky Williams playing in another pro football league without having to face the constant scrutiny like they do in the NFL. If he is smart he wont try to compete with the NFL, he will make his league an accessory to it.
    Only the criminal element and their prison groupees would interested in something like that.

Leave a comment:

• cunningham06
    replied
    This is the best idea since the XFL... Wait a minute!

Leave a comment:

• steelersfan43
    replied
    More games/another league would be annoying. Thats part of the fun of football, every freaking game matters, not like basketball where theres so many a clump of ten just gets shrugged off

Leave a comment:

• Crazy_Chris
    replied
    Originally posted by eacantdraft
    The only monopolies people like is Sports monopolies. We don't want some new leagues to come and take away the talent from the established league.
    Exactly my Feelings

Leave a comment:

• Sveen
    replied
    Originally posted by High Roller View Post
    That's why NBA and MLB aren't as big as NFL...there are games every day and they're not special. The NFL schedule is 16 games - 17 weeks. As much as I would like to watch Football year round, it could be detrimental to the way I view the game.
    I absolutely agree. Bad idea.

Leave a comment:

• High Roller
    replied

On the other hand, NFL will always be viewed as the highest level of competition, so standout rookies won't give up going to the NFL for some wanna-be copycat. Stupid idea, he's just money hungry.

Leave a comment:

• ElectricEye
    replied
    Originally posted by frogstomp View Post
    Honestly, they should try and combine their league with the CFL. That way they have an existing fanbase, and can simply try to expand the league. The CFL's major problem is that it on has a few teams, and the competition sucks. If they could add another 8 teams, and bring in some draft picks, the league could grow.
    That's actually a pretty decent idea. Have a US and a Canadian Division. Scoop up 3rd round guys, and try to make something happen.

Leave a comment:

• Go_Eagles77
    replied
    I heard some of the cities they are intersted in getting a Franchise in are LA, Las Vegas and Mexico city.

Leave a comment:

• GiantRutgersFan
    replied
    They just got to have mandatory contract's for their draft which would exceed the amount a second or third round player would get in the NFL draft.

Since there is only gonna be 8 teams, I dont see why each team wouldnt be able to get like 5 guys a year who otherwise would have went in the 3-5th rounds of the NFL draft.

It all just depends on them finding about 8 owners who are willing to see this through and spend the money and they could have something decent going on.

Leave a comment:

• tom
    replied
    It sounds like a great idea to me... with so many people in love with AFL, I think there would be as many, if not more fans eager to watch UFL games... they could have their draft the day after the NFL draft and have rounds 8 through 14... and possibly try and steal some of the lower level players going into the NFL... remember than rookies in rounds 3 onwards don't get paid much at all, so getting them would be quite easy.

Leave a comment:

• TigerBait45
    replied
    It worked for the AFL (and to an extent the USFL). I think if they execute this right it could work.

They'll never compete head to head with the NFL but if they play games when there isn't NFL football it could work out. I'm all for this. Competition is good for everyone.

Leave a comment:

• M.O.T.H.
    replied
    Like i said in the other thread... if they start making bids on 3rd round caliber players, they may just have something. Money speaks volumes, I'm sure they could pry some of these college boys away.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X

Debug Information