Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top AFC Corners

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=215714

1. Broncos. Dre' Bly gives the team another ballhawking man-to-man defender to pair with seven-time Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey. Nickel back Domonique Foxworth has the top-end speed to match up with slot receivers.

2. Raiders. Nnamdi Asomugha and Fabian Washington excel in one-on-one coverage and have above-average speed, great instincts and solid tackling skills. Nickel back Stanford Routt has blazing speed but gets beat too often.

3. Ravens. Chris McAlister has the strength and speed to match up with any receiver. Samari Rolle struggled last season but still is savvy. Backups Ronnie Prude and Evan Oglesby lack experience.

4. Patriots. If potential holdout Asante Samuel returns, he and Ellis Hobbs will form a solid duo. Hobbs has the ball skills and temperament to be a No. 1 corner. If Samuel leaves, Eugene Wilson could move from safety to corner, his college position.

5. Jaguars. Rashean Mathis and Brian Williams have solid man-to-man coverage skills, are physical jamming receivers and are fearless in run support. Nickel back Terry Cousin (5-9, 185) lacks ideal size but is a savvy veteran who makes plays.

6. Chargers. Quentin Jammer has become a shutdown force and is an excellent tackler. Drayton Florence is fast and would be among the league's best if he were more consistent. Antonio Cromartie needs experience.

7. Chiefs. Ty Law and Patrick Surtain don't run as well as they once did, but they can hold up for at least one more season. Nickel back Benny Sapp has distinguished himself more as a blitzer than as a cover guy.

8. Jets. Rookie Darrelle Revis gives the team a corner with big-time potential. Andre Dyson is solid and won't embarrass the defense. David Barrett has been slowed this offseason by sports hernia surgery

9. Steelers. Ike Taylor is proven but had a lapse in confidence last season. Bryant McFadden still has upside. Nickel back Deshea Townsend is steady but not a playmaker.

10. Titans. With Pacman Jones suspended, the team will rely on Reynaldo Hill and newcomer Nick Harper. Nickel back Cortland Finnegan was solid in 2006, and the Titans also would like to get first-round pick Michael Griffin on the field.

11. Texans. Hard-hitting Dunta Robinson, whose career has stuttered after an excellent rookie season, is due for a breakout year. Demarcus Faggins knows the defense and tackles well. Jamar Fletcher and Fred Bennett are vying for the nickel job.

12. Bengals. First-round pick Leon Hall will push Deltha O'Neal for the starting job opposite Johnathan Joseph. Hall is a smart, physical run defender who is effective in man, zone or press coverage.

13. Bills. Terrence McGee gets burned on double moves but has good quickness and ball skills. Recently signed Jason Webster is small but experienced and works well in zone coverage. Kiwaukee Thomas excelled as the nickel corner last season.

14. Dolphins. Will Allen is the strongest coverage corner. Andre' Goodman (shoulder) might miss the start of training camp. Travis Daniels could regain his starting job from Goodman, and Jason Allen's switch from safety to corner will add depth.

15. Colts. Marlin Jackson and Kelvin Hayden will need time to adjust to being starters. The key to the transition is whether Tim Jennings settles in as the No. 3.

16. Browns. Leigh Bodden is talented, but his projected breakout in 2006 was ruined by ankle issues. Rookie Eric Wright has just one year of big-time college football under his belt. Journeyman Kenny Wright is an adequate backup.

TOP 5 AFC CORNERBACKS

1. Champ Bailey, Broncos. There's Bailey -- and there's the rest of the cornerbacks. He has the whole package: size, quickness, recovery speed, ball skills. On top of that, he's the best run-stopping corner in the NFL.

2. Chris McAlister, Ravens. He's a physical player who matches up best against big wideouts. His ability to take away receivers gives the Ravens' front seven time to get to the quarterback and allows their defense to take risks.

3. Rashean Mathis, Jaguars. His most impressive attributes are his closing speed, soft hands and change-of-direction skills. Though he's an excellent ballhawk, his technique could use some work.

4. Nnamdi Asomugha, Raiders. The Raiders ask him to cover top receivers one-on-one, and he has the size, speed and strength to handle the job. With eight interceptions in '06, he emerged as a big-time playmaker.

5. Asante Samuel, Patriots. He's almost always in position to make plays, which he proved by intercepting a league-high 10 passes last season. He's not the biggest guy but makes up for that with smarts and excellent instincts.

The Chiefs at seven is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
      2. Raiders. Nnamdi Asomugha and Fabian Washington excel in one-on-one coverage and have above-average speed, great instincts and solid tackling skills. Nickel back Stanford Routt has blazing speed but gets beat too often.
      there's an understatement
      I'm a state.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewing View Post
        You're right, they should be at six

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
        Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

As much as it pains me to say it...the Packers not being up there in the top 16 is enough for me not read anything more than the team names and laugh.

The Bronco's without question should be ranked #1 for starting CB talent.
          Everything after that is debateable though.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post
            As much as it pains me to say it...the Packers not being up there in the top 16 is enough for me not read anything more than the team names and laugh.
            This was for the AFC.

Comment

Originally posted by Severe Punishment View Post

The Bronco's without question should be ranked #1 for starting CB talent.
              Everything after that is debateable though.
              The Packers have one of the AFC's best corners..

Comment

Why who is better after them on this list? The Chiefs were 16th in the NFL in D last year if people watched them play they would know they stepped it up last year it was there O that killed them as crazy as that sounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Splat420 View Post
                  Why who is better after them on this list? The Chiefs were 16th in the NFL in D last year if people watched them play they would know they stepped it up last year it was there O that killed them as crazy as that sounds.
                  Ah, the irony.

Comment

thats a very respectable top 5, really agree with that and finally we get an "experts" rankings on corners (which there have been 320493210 threads)

but the ravens have corey ivy??

Go Ravens!

Comment

Originally posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
                      3. Ravens. Chris McAlister has the strength and speed to match up with any receiver. Samari Rolle struggled last season but still is savvy. Backups Ronnie Prude and Evan Oglesby lack experience.

You forgot about Corey Ivy he was our nickel last year and he was a great nb, and the guy who is the supposed nickel of the future David Pittman, Ogelsby will hopefully not make the team.
                      HALL OF FAMER!
                      PUT ART MODELL IN THE HALL OF FAME!
                      JUSTIN BLACKMON IS A GOLDEN GOD!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999

Comment

Did they do the nFC yet?

Comment

Should they be higher or lower then?

Comment

and i just noticed, their top 5 corners for AFC might as well be the top 5 corners for the NFL

for the nfc, carolina is no doubt the top team
                            Carolina: Lucas, Gamble, and Marshall make up one of the best 1,2,3 combo in the league
                            Last edited by jkpigskin; 06-02-2007, 01:24 PM.

Go Ravens!

Comment

I am in love with Richard Marshall and I think he's going to be very valuable in a year or I think it might be two when Gamble is a free agent if we need to keep some other guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information