X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News : Top NFC Corners

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=216164

1. 49ers
    Nate Clements will be the team's first shutdown corner since the mid-1990s. Walt Harris is a tough ball hawk with solid coverage skills. Nickel back Shawntae Spencer would start for many teams.

2. Cowboys
    Coaches want Terence Newman to take the final step toward stardom. Anthony Henry (6-1, 208) is big with good ball skills. Nickel back Aaron Glenn is solid but struggles on deep balls.

3. Eagles
    Lito Sheppard and Sheldon Brown complement each other. Sheppard is a gambling playmaker; Brown is a solid cover corner and a punishing tackler. William James replaces Rod Hood at nickel back.

4. Packers
    Al Harris is great in bump-and-run coverage. Charles Woodson isn't that fast anymore but has great ball skills. In an unproven pool of backups, Will Blackmon has the most talent.

5. Buccaneers
    Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly are Pro Bowl-caliber starters. After that there's a big drop-off to Phillip Buchanon and Sammy Davis.

6. Bears
    Coming off his finest season, Charles Tillman (6-1, 196) has the size to shut down big receivers. Nathan Vasher is a ball hawk on the right side. Ricky Manning is comfortable in the nickel role.

7. Vikings
    Antoine Winfield and Cedric Griffin are physical, but Winfield's status is in question after he skipped most offseason activities. Dovonte Edwards and rookie Marcus McCauley will compete for the nickel spot.

8. Panthers
    Ken Lucas has the skills to be top-notch in coverage but must make tackles consistently. Though Chris Gamble makes big plays, he gets beat too often on deep passes. Richard Marshall could challenge for a starting spot.

9. Falcons
    Lewis Sanders and rookie Chris Houston are two adequate options to start opposite Pro Bowl corner DeAngelo Hall. Sanders has been a starter, and Houston locked down top college receivers last season.

10. Redskins
    Shawn Springs is an elite corner when he's healthy and happy. Carlos Rogers can be a solid starter but must bounce back from a sub-par second season. Nickel back Fred Smoot is back after two seasons with the Vikings.

11. Seahawks.
    Marcus Trufant could emerge with better safety help. Kelly Jennings is talented but unproven. Rookie Josh Wilson is more explosive than Jennings and could push for a starting job.

12. Saints.
    Mike McKenzie, Fred Thomas and Jason Craft gave up too many deep passes and didn't make enough big plays in 2006.

13. Rams
    Tye Hill must improve his tackling. Fakhir Brown has experience and good cover skills. Nickel back Ron Bartell showed big-play ability late last season.

14. Cardinals.
    Key for this group is the development of Antrel Rolle and Eric Green, who were inconsistent in their first two seasons. Rod Hood will compete with Green for a starting job.

15. Giants
    Sam Madison has lost a step, and Corey Webster struggled in his first two seasons. Nickel back R.W. McQuarters is a playmaker but doesn't have Webster's speed or Madison's instincts.

16. Lions
    Coaches aren't sure who will start, which doesn't bode well. Among the candidates -- Fernando Bryant, Stanley Wilson and Travis Fisher -- none has blazing speed, but each supports the run well.

LOL

Panthers have the best trio of corners in the NFC. Oh and Gamble gave up 2 passing touchdowns in 2005 and 3 last year, while injured, thats not too many.

Richard Marshall out played any rookie cornerback last year and Gamble would be a number one on a lot of teams in the league. Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble are both top 20 twenty at least and Marshall is a stud.
    Last edited by BlindSite; 06-02-2007, 02:44 AM.

Comment

I'd take Bailey, Bly and Foxworth over the Panthers any day.

Comment

like the 49ers rankings in that

Comment

Sure the Lions are the worst in the NFC, but at least get all of the criticism right. Stanley Wilson is a very fast man.

RIP TheManInBlack

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
            Maybe for this year but Lucas, Gamble, and Marshall are a heck of alot younger than Bailey, Bly, and Foxworth and probably make half the money the Broncos corners make. The Panthers trio will still be playing in 5 years while Bly and Bailey will be well into their 30's.

Comment

Foxworth is weak, soft and sloppy.

Marshall>Foxworth
              Gamble = Bly
              Champ > Lucas

IMO edge goes to Denver, but not by a great margin.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) -- Not much went right for Ken Lucas last season.
              The cornerback had trouble tackling because of an injured shoulder, and things got so bad that he was briefly taken out of the Carolina Panthers' starting lineup.

But what bothers him the most is that some questioned his toughness.

"I even had teammates question if I had quit on the team," Lucas said Thursday. "That's just crazy for someone to suggest that. I love this game, and I would do this for free if I had to."

Lucas wouldn't identify the players, but said the criticism hurt.

"I would never fake an injury just because things are not going my way," he said.

After undergoing surgery in January, Lucas has returned to the field this week for the Panthers' coaching sessions, prepared to prove his critics -- and perhaps his teammates -- wrong.

"I'm not one of those guys who will try to make an excuse for why I'm not playing well," Lucas said. "The coaches knew I had shoulder and neck issues. But I never came to the media and said I had neck problems.

"Unfortunately, it did affect my game from the mental aspect. There were a lot of times I knew I had to make a tackle, but my mind was telling me I didn't want to, because I knew it was going to hurt like hell to make this tackle. But we tried to fix that this offseason and hopefully it'll be much better this year."

While Lucas is back, a teammate was missing for a second straight day. Defensive tackle Kris Jenkins has been a no-show for the optional workouts. His agent said it has nothing to do with the fact he was on the trading block before the draft, or that he wants a new contract, but he's still the only regular not participating.

Defensive end Mike Rucker and tackle Travelle Wharton are on hand, even though they're still recovering from knee injuries. And Lucas, after sitting out minicamp a month ago, has worked his way back to the field.

"When you're coming off an 8-8 season, obviously our team was disappointed about that," coach John Fox said. "It kind of brings you back with new resolve."

Lucas said last year's struggles motivated him to test the shoulder this week.

"I kind of fell on it today and felt a little pain in it, but I'm comfortable enough to go out here and practice," Lucas said. "I feel like we have a great opportunity to have a good team out here this year, and I'm just trying to be a part of it."

Lucas said he first injured the shoulder in 2005, his first year with Carolina after leaving Seattle to sign a six-year, $36 million free-agent deal. Lucas had six interceptions in 2005 and narrowly missed making the Pro Bowl.

But Lucas had only three picks last year and struggled to bring receivers to the turf. Lucas also had to battle through groin and hamstring injuries last year, which he said were due in part by favoring his shoulder.

Lucas expects to keep his starting spot this year, opposite either incumbent Chris Gamble or Richard Marshall.

"For people to be saying I've lost it as far as tackling ate at me a whole lot," Lucas said. "I wanted to fix it. So my motivation is to prove everybody wrong this year."

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                LOL

Panthers have the best trio of corners in the NFC. Oh and Gamble gave up 2 passing touchdowns in 2005 and 3 last year, while injured, thats not too many.

Richard Marshall out played any rookie cornerback last year and Gamble would be a number one on a lot of teams in the league. Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble are both top 20 twenty at least and Marshall is a stud.
                yes but Tim Lewis is yuor secondary coach...
                We ALL bleed scarlet
                New York Giants Super Bowl 46 Champs
                UNITED: I actually attend the college I root for
                Originally posted by PalmerToCJ
                BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.

Comment

Edit. NEvermind
                  Last edited by Paul; 06-02-2007, 10:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                    LOL

Is there anything the Panthers aren't the best in?

Ive yet to hear you say something negative about your own team. They seem to be the best in everything, dline/lb core/secondary/wr duo/rb duo. I mean come on now, if they were THAT good, they wouldn't be so inconsistent.

Carolina is the most overrated team in the NFL and has been for a couple of years now.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a solid team, and solid defense, but theyre not the best in the NFL or NFC for that matter in any particular area of their team. Theyre just not.

Comment

Falcons are about right, until Houston proves something, it's hard to argue for us to be any higher. Obviously Deangelo puts us near the top, but Sanders, Houston, and Irons...well...there's not much to go on there.

Comment

4th for Green Bay is good to see

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain

Comment

Yep, basically iloxy is right. Until somebody across from Hall actually proves something, which I think Houston will do in a couple years, we should be about hear. Other than Milloy, we have a really young secondary with so much potential right now. If Jimmy Williams and Chris Houston play to their ability, in a couple years we will be considered one of the best.

Comment

Good spot for the eagles.

Comment

He said NFC but I agree Denver's trio is better. Panthers are very talented though.

thanks Bengals1690

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information