Sporting News : Top NFC Corners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top dog

I'm hesitant about putting the 49ers' trio of Clements/Harris/Spencer over the Bears' trio of Vasher/Tillman/Manning Jr. or evern the Eagles' trio of Sheppard/Brown/James, only because the 49ers haven't played together yet on the field like those other players have. Looking good on paper is all well and good, but I give more credit to playing on the field. That said, when the 49ers do take the field, I think it's very possible they will take the top spot although I still like the Bears the best.

Questionable picks

The Bucs at #5? Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly are past their primes and are good at the moment but not deserving of such a ranking. The Falcons at #9? DeAngelo Hall is a Pro Bowl corner in name only, and the fact that Lewis Sanders and Chris Houston are the leading competitors for the other starter position leave me scratching my head as to why anyone would put them in the top 10.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, I'm not fond of the Bears at #6 and the Redskins at #10. The Bears are easily in the top 3 of the conference with the quality of talent, ability, and experience in all three starters. Similarly the Redskins with Springs/Rogers/Smoot, and Macklin as a back-up, would be higher in the top 10 than just at the cusp in my mind.

Also, how does the acquisition of Jason David not noted for the Saints, if the all-important Jason Craft is mentioned? I don't have a problem with them initially ranked outside the Top 10 though, given that we have to see David play with the team first and McKenzie can be beat. I'd rank the Saints ahead of the Falcons, though.

Youth necessary

The Packers have a very good starting duo with Al Harris (who should've been a Pro Bowl selection last year imo) and Charles Woodson if he can stay healthy, but they need to start grooming a young talent to immediately come in as the nickel starter and eventually take over as a starter. I'm wouldn't be surprised if Darrelle Revis had been available at #16, Thompson would have taken him to do so.

But then Revis was in high demand for good reason.
    Pugnacity, testosterone, truculence, and belligerence.

Comment

I'll like the Eagles at #3, I want to see a better season from Sheldon this year though.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
        I'll like the Eagles at #3, I want to see a better season from Sheldon this year though.
        Reggie Bush sure as hell doesn't ;)
        I think they're about right, you could make a case for #2. I think Henry is highly overrated, but whatever 3 works.

Comment

Lucas is usually a great tackler, but his reputation got hurt along with his shoulder last year. Not much you can do other than prove that you are better than that.

Gamble will have to be alert or he isn't starting this season and Marshall will.

Comment

Originally posted by SNIPER26 View Post
            Reggie Bush sure as hell doesn't ;)
            I think they're about right, you could make a case for #2. I think Henry is highly overrated, but whatever 3 works.
            I would probably move the Cowboys to 4 and put the Bears at 2.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningham06 View Post
              I would probably move the Cowboys to 4 and put the Bears at 2.
              If you consider the NB too I don't know if the Eagles are better than the Cowboys.
              Newman, imo, is better than Sheppard or at least they are on the same level, Henry and Brown are two CBs that alternate good and bad games, the real problem with Henry is that he can't stay healthy. Even when he's playing, most of the time he's playing hurt. But Cowboys NB is way better than everyone the Eagles have right now. Hood was a good NB, but who do you have now as your nickel cornerback? Aaron Glenn even if old is a very reliable guy and he has played very well so far for the Cowboys. Against the Colts he faced many times Marvin Harrison making a great job on him. The problem is that he will probably retire in 2008, or he will loose a step, but right now he's a very good NB.

In Bob We Trust

John Madden's wedding video business

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ddPHJWkPvU

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                Is there anything the Panthers aren't the best in?

Ive yet to hear you say something negative about your own team. They seem to be the best in everything, dline/lb core/secondary/wr duo/rb duo. I mean come on now, if they were THAT good, they wouldn't be so inconsistent.

Carolina is the most overrated team in the NFL and has been for a couple of years now.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a solid team, and solid defense, but theyre not the best in the NFL or NFC for that matter in any particular area of their team. Theyre just not.
                Pretty much hit the nail on the head there. His name isn't Blindsite for nothing. All he sees is Carolina Blue.

As for the Cowboys... I like our starters, but our depth is a major concern. Lot of bodies with mild upside, but a lot of unknown. Henry took a step back last year from his previous year. Newman is a near shutdown guy, not having given up a TD in the last 2 years.... maybe he gave up 1 last year, I'm not totally sure.... however, he does need to step up with his Interception count in order to take the next step. Hard to say where we'd be ranked, but not #2.

Comment

Originally posted by Modano View Post
                  If you consider the NB too I don't know if the Eagles are better than the Cowboys.
                  Newman, imo, is better than Sheppard or at least they are on the same level, Henry and Brown are two CBs that alternate good and bad games, the real problem with Henry is that he can't stay healthy. Even when he's playing, most of the time he's playing hurt. But Cowboys NB is way better than everyone the Eagles have right now. Hood was a good NB, but who do you have now as your nickel cornerback? Aaron Glenn even if old is a very reliable guy and he has played very well so far for the Cowboys. Against the Colts he faced many times Marvin Harrison making a great job on him. The problem is that he will probably retire in 2008, or he will loose a step, but right now he's a very good NB.
                  Newman is better than Lito, but I definitely think Sheldon is better than Henry. As for nickelback Aaron is better than James, but James is a former starter who's got good size and should be very solid for us this season. It could go either way, the difference between the two talent wise is marginal either way.

Comment

Im happy with 7th place.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure

Comment

I don't think I'm being a homer when I say that the Bears are too low.

If this is JUST starters I'm fine with it, but your nickleback plays about 50% of the time and Ricky Manning Jr is one of, if not the, best nicklebacks in the NFL (when he's not beating up "Jews" at Denny's anyway).

By comparison, the Packers and Bucs have no depth and are ahead? Meh...

It's not a big difference, but I'd put us ahead of both.

And the Niners are way too high. Walt Harris had a good season last year, but come on...he's still Walt Harris. It's not like he all of the sudden became great after 11 seasons in the league.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

If this is JUST starters I'm fine with it, but your nickleback plays about 50% of the time and Ricky Manning Jr is one of, if not the, best nicklebacks in the NFL (when he's not beating up "Jews" at Denny's anyway).

And the Niners are way too high. Walt Harris had a good season last year, but come on...he's still Walt Harris. It's not like he all of the sudden became great after 11 seasons in the league.
                        Yea I don't see how they include nickel backs and then have teams that don't have good ones above teams that are 3 deep.

That is correct comahan
                        I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                        <3 dg

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

I too agree the Niners are to high and I would say the Harris/Woodson are better then Tillman/Vasher but if you include nicklebacks like you said i would give the bears a slight edge

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                            Foxworth is weak, soft and sloppy.

Marshall>Foxworth
                            Gamble = Bly
                            Champ > Lucas

IMO edge goes to Denver, but not by a great margin.
                            how is foxworth weak, soft and sloppy? the man played safety for a few games and did very well for being a corner. foxworth could be starting for many teams, he is a very good corner. Denvers 4th corner is also very good Peymah has all the physical skills the only reason he is not the 3rd or even 2nd corner is because he doesnt have good hands and drops a lot of balls, but hes not a WR so it shouldnt count too much against him.

I would go Champ>Lucas>Bly>Gamble>Foxworth=Marshall

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              Is there anything the Panthers aren't the best in?

Ive yet to hear you say something negative about your own team. They seem to be the best in everything, dline/lb core/secondary/wr duo/rb duo. I mean come on now, if they were THAT good, they wouldn't be so inconsistent.

Carolina is the most overrated team in the NFL and has been for a couple of years now.

Don't get me wrong, I think they have a solid team, and solid defense, but theyre not the best in the NFL or NFC for that matter in any particular area of their team. Theyre just not.
                              Thank you!

Comment

The Niners probably are a bit too high... but that said, if we're ranking top trios, SF is going to be in the top five in the NFC, probably top three. The problem last year was that opposing QBs had WAY too long to throw the ball. Nolan's system on D is very advantageous for smart, athletic corners like Harris though, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a repeat from him. I also wouldn't be too surprised if he gets moved to FS in the next year or two to help prolong his career-- especially if Tarrell Brown stays out of trouble and plays up to his potential.

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information