Sporting News : Top NFC Corners

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stl9erfan View Post
    The Niners probably are a bit too high... but that said, if we're ranking top trios, SF is going to be in the top five in the NFC, probably top three. The problem last year was that opposing QBs had WAY too long to throw the ball. Nolan's system on D is very advantageous for smart, athletic corners like Harris though, so I wouldn't be too surprised to see a repeat from him. I also wouldn't be too surprised if he gets moved to FS in the next year or two to help prolong his career-- especially if Tarrell Brown stays out of trouble and plays up to his potential.
    I'd say even with the two starting corners 49ers are in the top three. Clements is easily one of the top three starting corners in the NFC along with Newman and maybe Al Harris. And Walt Harris was simply the best corner in the NFC west, period (didn't watch enough other NFC games to speak for the rest)... He was great in run support, got a boatload of ints and forced four fumbles, now lets hope he can maintain those numbers with an added pass rush and going against a teams number 2 receiver!

I think Spencer actually had a very inconsistent year last year and really didn't step up the way I thought he would.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
      Technically he's played more games than he's missed, so "always hurt" is a non sequitur, not only that but until last year he'd played two years in a row playing 12+ games including playoffs in 05.

So yes, he does count, especially when he kept Tiki Barber and Jeremy Shockey in Check against new york, helped limit guys like Jones against chicago. Shaun Alexander and Jerramy Stevens had good games against the Panthers in large part because he wasn't there to lead the defense and make plays.

Morgan doesn't count? His injury couldn't have hurt us more.

here's some advice, you might call me a homer, but at least I know what I'm talking about, you're grasping at straws and making it clear you don't.
      You know what you're talking about? Clearly you really don't since you claim the Panthers have the best at nearly half the positions. Peppers is the best at his position, Smith at his. Dassit. Wow two years in a row for Morgan. New personal record?

Comment

Originally posted by 24cadillac24 View Post
        I'd take Bailey, Bly and Foxworth over the Panthers any day.
        The Broncos don't play in the NFC. BlindSite said that the Panthers have the best trio in the NFC.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

That's the game where peppers, morgan, and our first 5 RBs on the depth chart couldn't play...

Lets see any team win missing those guys.
          You're very good at making excuses. It's football, and injuries happen. Stop being a homer that can't admit defeat.

sig by BoneKrusher

Comment

That's the game where peppers, morgan, and our first 5 RBs on the depth chart couldn't play...

Lets see any team win missing those guys.
            31 teams manage to win without Peppers.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
            don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by Addict View Post
              31 teams manage to win without Peppers.
              exactly..a lot of teams dont have a dominant player like Peppers.

Patriots have won without Harrison..without Bruschi..without Corey Dillon..without Branch..without Seymour for a few games. Without Ty Law

injuries..other issues happen. Your team is as good as your backups. You cant depend on your starters all year round now a days..so having good depth is important and u dont need the best players to win.

Comment

Originally posted by no love View Post
                I think Spencer actually had a very inconsistent year last year and really didn't step up the way I thought he would.
                Spencer was just okay... He didn't give up the big play that I saw too often, but he also didn't make a lot of big plays. It will be interesting to see how he fares in his training camp battle with Harris.

Comment

Originally posted by remix 6 View Post
                  exactly..a lot of teams dont have a dominant player like Peppers.

Patriots have won without Harrison..without Bruschi..without Corey Dillon..without Branch..without Seymour for a few games. Without Ty Law

injuries..other issues happen. Your team is as good as your backups. You cant depend on your starters all year round now a days..so having good depth is important and u dont need the best players to win.
                  I'm glad we run exactly the same scheme and require exactly the same from exactly all of our players so you could point that out.

Comment

I'm glad we run exactly the same scheme and require exactly the same from exactly all of our players so you could point that out.
                    The point is if you are waiting for a season where none of your starters get injured, you are going to be waiting for a very long time.

Comment

The main reason the Packers went 8-8 last year was because of special teams play, namely kicking. Besides STs play, the safties pretty much the only other thing that held them back from super bowl glory. They are VERY solid( if not the best in the NFL) at every other position on the field with KGB, Manuel, and Poppinga being the anchors to the only other problems holding them back from super bowl city. Why are they so good? Because they play for the Packers, that's why. I'm honestly getting tired of this pro bowl NFC vs. AFC crap, It's about time to turn it into AFC vs. the Packers. How could anyone else who plays for another team in the NFL be good without being a PACKER. Thank god they got Mason Crosby , the Pack will easily go 16-0 now.

CB? 1st easily. LOL at the fact Harris and Woodson are not at the top of that list. Idiots. I mean, they play for the Pack.
                      D-line? Best. Kampman pretty much is the best player in the NFL.
                      O-line? Best. Why? because they wear Green and Gold.
                      Backs? We drafted a new RB, we're dank.
                      WR? Probowl Donald Driver, best. Plus we drafted a couple New WR that will be good because they play for the PACKERS! duh.
                      TE. Bubba franks used to be good. He'll be probowl next year. Antonio who?
                      LB? Nick Barnett >>>>> Urlacher ,because he plays for the Packers. If he didn't break his hand last year he's better by a large margin.
                      Hawk? best ever, he plays for the PACKERS.
                      QB- Brett Favre once threw for 40 TD's . He'll throw for 79 this year.
                      AS you can see . It's only the safties and special teams holding this grand team back. If Underwood wouldn't have gotten injured we'd be golden.
                      Damn we're good.
                      Now, Back in 1997 the Packers were picked as super bowl favorites so this means we'll be favorites in the weak NFC now. right? I mean, there is no possible way MY team could regress. We're too good at every position, just a couple of special teams players and were bowl bound.
                      Last edited by TitleTown088; 06-03-2007, 11:28 PM.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

Holy crap! Someone ranked us first in something. Been a long time for us Niner fans. It's fun not being a doormat anymore.
                        The Brian Sabean sig is no more. I disagreed with you on so many levels. And then you went out and built a dynasty. I am lame.

Comment

Actually, the schemes are very similar. The only major difference is the front. Fox uses the 4-3, and Bellichick the BP 3-4. So inheritly, the way the run is stopped is different in comparison.

But the methods of pressure and coverage and the style of defense is very very close. Fox uses alot of similar schemery. Just out of a 4-3 front.

Comment

Looks about right. I like the Vikes at 7. Winfield is one of the very best in the league but Griffin has to prove he can do it for an entire season. Edwards/McCauley is great depth, McCauley should replace Winfield in a couple of years if all goes well and he plays up to his ability. Which is always a big if with the Vikes.

Props to BK on the sig!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbluedefense View Post
                              Actually, the schemes are very similar. The only major difference is the front. Fox uses the 4-3, and Bellichick the BP 3-4. So inheritly, the way the run is stopped is different in comparison.

But the methods of pressure and coverage and the style of defense is very very close. Fox uses alot of similar schemery. Just out of a 4-3 front.
                              Except the linebackers run different coverage schemes even when they're in nickel formations.

Comment

Originally posted by Borat Sagdiyev View Post
                                Holy crap! Someone ranked us first in something. Been a long time for us Niner fans. It's fun not being a doormat anymore.
                                Haha yea...I was a little shocked. I personally like Denver better but 49ers deserve top 3.

Faithful Niner Fan

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information