Floyd Reese's take on Devin Hester's speed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Reese's take on Devin Hester's speed

Said in this article, in comparing Hester and his switch to WR to Derrick Mason, that he did not have world class speed.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...oyd&id=2885758

I'm at a loss for an explanation. Hester runs a sub 4.3 and looks every bit that fast on the field. His ability to explode through a tight crease is second to none.
    Check out my blog and website:
    www.4thand99.com

Hester obviously has elite speed, but where does this "sub-4.3" stuff come from?

Combine Results
    Combine Invite? Yes
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 190
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.41
    20 Yrd Dash: 2.59
    10 Yrd Dash: 1.54
    225 Lb. Bench Reps: 16
    Vertical Jump: 38
    Broad Jump: 10'4"

Pro Day Results
    Dates: 03/04/06
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 190
    40 Yrd Dash: 4.35
    20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.20
    3-Cone Drill: 6.78

Comment

he ran a 4.27 at pro day..

Comment

i thought he ran 4.5's at the combine, and later said he was nervous, then had a great pro day

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs

Comment

yea, i remember dg saying a few times he ran a 4.27 at his proday.
          Jamaal Charles is the best RB in the NFL

Comment

That's weird cause Reese wanted to drafted Hester at 37 (or something like that) and was talked out of it by Jeff Fisher who wanted to take Lendale White. He never fails to mention that when either Hester or White's name is brought up.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
              He never fails to mention that when either Hester or White's name is brought up.
              Yeah in this article especially:

If it sounds like I am a Hester fan, it is because I am. Following the Vince oung selection in the 2006 NFL draft, we traded down to the No. 45 slot in the second round to draft Hester. I had his draft card in my hand and had him on the phone.

A last-second plea by the coaches stopped the selection. Not once in my career had I ever taken a name off the board on draft day and not made the selection. Four issues affected my decision:

1. The confidence of the coaches in LenDale White.
              2. The need for a young running back.
              3. I could not decide with certainty where to play Hester.
              4. We had a Pro Bowl-caliber returner in Pacman Jones.
              Hmm. He sounds defensive.

Comment

Hester is like Steve Smith, he's no where near the fastest runner in a straight line and probably not even top 10.

Its Smith's lateral movement which is faster than anyone else in the league that makes him special. No one can keep pace with him when he's moving laterally or accelerating.

Hester is the same type of speed, where he's ridiculously quick, but not rediculously fast.

Comment

Originally posted by BlindSite View Post
                  Hester is like Steve Smith, he's no where near the fastest runner in a straight line and probably not even top 10.

Its Smith's lateral movement which is faster than anyone else in the league that makes him special. No one can keep pace with him when he's moving laterally or accelerating.

Hester is the same type of speed, where he's ridiculously quick, but not rediculously fast.
                  Yep.

Marvin Harrison has it too. But he makes it look a LOT easier then Smith and Hester do. They make multiple cuts and then lose the guy. Then they turn on the afterburners and the guys won't catch up.

Meanwhile, Harrison goes vertical, makes one deceptive double-move and makes the corner look like a damn fool, and doesn't HAVE to turn on the afterburners.

Comment

Except for the fact that Hester is also ridiculously fast in a line, as well as laterally.

That is correct comahan
                    I ******* LOVE YOU DG
                    <3 dg

Comment

well that is just straight up stupid

hester is very fast in a straight line and laterally and it would be hard for me to think of 5 people that could beat hester in a foot race.

"next man speed"-Deion Sanders
                      RIP Sean Michael Taylor

Comment

Originally posted by 21ST View Post
                        well that is just straight up stupid

hester is very fast in a straight line and laterally and it would be hard for me to think of 5 people that could beat hester in a foot race.

"next man speed"-Deion Sanders
                        Fabian Washington, Michael Vick, DeAngelo hall, Allen Rossum, Reggie Bush. That's 5.

Comment

Vick isn't faster than Devin Hester.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.

Comment

Vick has been recorded as running a 4.25 Last I checked 4.25 was lower than 4.27 therefore faster...

Comment

The 40 yard dash has to do with technique too. It's not all speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information