Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sporting News: AFC Safeties

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=218154

1. Steelers. Troy Polamalu is a top-line playmaker who can do it all. Anthony Smith, who is athletic and instinctive, must do a good job of covering deep when Polamalu freelances.

2. Ravens. Ed Reed might be the best free safety in the game. He can cover receivers, deliver devastating blows and rush the passer. Dawan Landry, also a heavy hitter, likely will have more coverage responsibilities this year.

3. Colts. Bob Sanders is one of the league's true difference-makers at the position, and Antoine Bethea is coming off a solid rookie season. Depth is a concern.

4. Jets. The team has a young, talented duo in Kerry Rhodes and Erik Coleman. Rhodes can make plays behind the line and in deep coverage.

5. Broncos. John Lynch, 35, and Nick Ferguson, 32, aren't going to be fooled often, given their experience. Both are aggressive tacklers against the run, but neither is particularly rangy in coverage.

6. Browns. Sean Jones, the team's best defender in 2006, is a reliable tackler and an athletic cover man. Brodney Pool is strong enough to handle the run and agile enough to play corner.

7. Patriots. Rodney Harrison remains one of the most feared players in the game, but health issues are taking their toll on him. If Asante Samuel holds out, Eugene Wilson might be forced to play corner.

8. Raiders. Michael Huff has the speed, intelligence and instincts to develop into a Pro Bowl player. Stuart Schweigert doesn't excel in any one area but has a knack for getting to the ball.

9. Jaguars. Donovin Darius is a punishing hitter but struggles in coverage. Gerald Sensabaugh is an aggressive run stopper, but rookie playmaker Reggie Nelson likely will take his job.

10. Chargers. Marlon McCree, a strong leader and communicator with above-average skills, is the unit's only proven impact player. Clinton Hart could be a hidden gem with his instincts and ball skills.

11. Titans. Chris Hope became the leader of the unit in his first season with the team. Calvin Lowry and Vincent Fuller will challenge Lamont Thompson for the other starting spot.

12. Bengals. Madieu Williams is a playmaker, and Dexter Jackson is a physical player with good range. Overall, this unit needs to communicate better.

13. Bills. Donte Whitner has good speed but tends to be too aggressive in run support. Ko Simpson excels in deep coverage but needs to improve his tackling.

14. Chiefs. Jarrad Page is smart but needs to tackle better. Bernard Pollard is a big hitter but lacks speed. Greg Wesley appears to lose concentration frequently. The rub: Two of them have to start.

15. Dolphins. The team did nothing to upgrade this unit in the offseason. Yeremiah Bell provides some hitting ability over the middle. Renaldo Hill makes good decisions but is hindered by a lack of open-field speed.

16. Texans. Glenn Earl and C.C. Brown are strong against the run, but their coverage skills are shaky. Dexter McCleon and Von Hutchins could challenge Brown for the starting free safety job.

Sean Jones single-handedly puts the Browns at #6. He will no doubt be a pro bowler next year barring injury.

Comment

I love the Polamalu/Smith combo. Smith looked pretty good last year when Clark got hurt and he played good on special teams all year making most of the special teams tackles for us. Smith doesn't have the greatest speed but he still manages to cover alot of ground. He has a great hit for someone his size aswell. I'm expecting alot out of him this coming season.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig

Comment

im diggin the steelers spot =)

but either pittsburgh or the ravens should be number one
        so i would be happy with both

i also think in a few years (if asante comes back) that the patriots will have a higher saftey rank with eugene wilson and brandon merriwether

Comment

Reed's coverage skills are on another level than Polamalu. I think by just Reed alone, the Ravens should be at number one. Plus I'd take Landry over Smith/Clark anyday.

Comment

AFC is stacked at safety.

Comment

This is a joke Ravens are the best.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
              Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
              http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

Originally posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
                Reed's coverage skills are on another level than Polamalu. I think by just Reed alone, the Ravens should be at number one. Plus I'd take Landry over Smith/Clark anyday.

well ya cuz landry played the whole year

smith played very well and showed a real glipse of greatness when he played

i wouldnt say landry is better just yet

Comment

Originally posted by HinesWardJr View Post
                  well ya cuz landry played the whole year

smith played very well and showed a real glipse of greatness when he played

i wouldnt say landry is better just yet
                  He is better you just can't say Smith is as good just yet. Landry will be a pro bowler within the next 3 years.

Sig By:The Dynasty

2 7 Round Mocks: April 20
                  http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...50#post2577350
                  Full NBA Mock Draft: Updated May 18
                  http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/...=1#post2602966

Comment

I know whitner and Simpson are young but come on... theyre at atleast top 10

Sig By Diehardvikingfan

Comment

Originally posted by Ghettosermon View Post
                      He is better you just can't say Smith is as good just yet. Landry will be a pro bowler within the next 3 years.

i wanna wait till smith plays a whole season
                      and landry to play this year

after the season we will see

Comment

Add in the fact that we now have Eric Smith as well, a hard hitting tough nosed safety, we really have a trio at safety, rather then just two. Smith would rotate in, with us putting Rhodes in the box, and Coleman + Smith deep.

Designs by Thule

Comment

Jarrad Page and Bernard Pollard are going to be one heck of a duo. I guess I can see see how they're so low on the list due to their inexperience, but I feel they're being a little underrated. Those who seen these two play last year would understand why I feel that way. They'll make a huge jump on this list after the 07 season.
                          Last edited by LarryJohnson27; 06-06-2007, 05:34 PM.

Comment

Pretty good rankings. I would have Baltimore and Pittsburgh flip floppped though. Landry is better than Pitt's free safeties, and Reed is the best in the league

Comment

Baltimore and Pittsburgh should be flip-flopped. Reed is the best safety in the league, and Landry is better than Smith as of right now.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information