Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HINDSIGHT 20/20 HOUSTON TEXANS Do-OVER 2006 DRAFT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mario hasn't even began to tap his potential. You also have to keep in mind that Mario was one of the youngest rookies in the league last year and he is 2 years younger than Gaines Adams. HE is also a YEAR YOUNGER than Peppers was at the same age and much heavier and stronger. SOme of you people obviously don't understand the importance and potential. When you pick 1st overall your main objective should be to improve the team. The Texans already had a probowl return man in Mathis, and a 3rd down type rb. And Carr was only 4 years removed from being the #1 pick. The only player you could make a intelligent arguement for is D'Brickashaw and he isn't even on your poll!


    Also if Reggie can't average over 4 yard a carry on the Saints with a Franchise QB and good oline, while he is sharing the ball with a 1,000 yard back what even gives you the slightest indication that he would have improved the Texans and gave them anything more than Jersey sales?

    Comment


    • I voted for Mario Williams..

      First things first....Everyone in Houston wanted Vince Young...but the Vince Young you see in Tennessee is not the Vince Young you would have seen in Houston because of Gary Kubiak....Look at the offense of the Texans...the passes are all short and quick....0 shotgun plays and he gives his QB's no room to make any changes etc....meaning MOST of Vince's skills would have gone untapped....and he would have constantly be trying to run for his life.

      Secondly, Reggie Bush is good/explosive/exciting/everything....In New Orleans...I really think this is who they were after but the contract demands got so out of hand that they then switched focus to Mario...but Houston has Jerome Mathis as a KR, and started the season with Philip Buchanon as a PR...and they were to have Domanick Davis/Williams back as well as have Vernand Morency(who was traded and had a decent year in GB)...Reggie would have been less effective in Houston than he was in New Orleans....most passes went to Andre Johnson....they didnt even use Eric Moulds that much.....and also Kubiak thinks he can do without a stud RB I believe...

      Now on to Mario....Defense wins Championships....with Mario, Demeco, and Dunta Robinson, they have a good start.....they had no good players at DE except for Anthony Weaver...As a lot of people have stated, Mario WAS the right pick, only debate should be if he went to high...They obviously couldnt find a trading partner or I think they would have moved down

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Dunta_23
        I voted for Mario Williams..

        First things first....Everyone in Houston wanted Vince Young...but the Vince Young you see in Tennessee is not the Vince Young you would have seen in Houston because of Gary Kubiak....Look at the offense of the Texans...the passes are all short and quick....0 shotgun plays and he gives his QB's no room to make any changes etc....meaning MOST of Vince's skills would have gone untapped....and he would have constantly be trying to run for his life.

        Secondly, Reggie Bush is good/explosive/exciting/everything....In New Orleans...I really think this is who they were after but the contract demands got so out of hand that they then switched focus to Mario...but Houston has Jerome Mathis as a KR, and started the season with Philip Buchanon as a PR...and they were to have Domanick Davis/Williams back as well as have Vernand Morency(who was traded and had a decent year in GB)...Reggie would have been less effective in Houston than he was in New Orleans....most passes went to Andre Johnson....they didnt even use Eric Moulds that much.....and also Kubiak thinks he can do without a stud RB I believe...

        Now on to Mario....Defense wins Championships....with Mario, Demeco, and Dunta Robinson, they have a good start.....they had no good players at DE except for Anthony Weaver...As a lot of people have stated, Mario WAS the right pick, only debate should be if he went to high...They obviously couldnt find a trading partner or I think they would have moved down
        New Orleans might have taken Mario if he was there. I remember there was alot of talk about that before the draft.


        Originally posted by Scott Wright
        Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
        Originally posted by njx9
        do i tell you when to flip the burger?

        Comment


        • How is Mario so much younger than the others? They all went out as Juniors
          "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

          Comment


          • He was a true junior and I believe he has a late birthday

            Comment


            • Originally posted by ks_perfection
              How is Mario so much younger than the others? They all went out as Juniors
              Late Birthday maybe? VY was a RS Junior, so pretty much a senior. Mario might have maybe been put in school early or somthing too.


              Originally posted by Scott Wright
              Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
              Originally posted by njx9
              do i tell you when to flip the burger?

              Comment


              • Secondly, Reggie Bush is good/explosive/exciting/everything....In New Orleans...I really think this is who they were after but the contract demands got so out of hand that they then switched focus to Mario
                Please. The contract demands had nothing to do with Houston not taking Bush.
                The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

                “We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Flyboy
                  Secondly, Reggie Bush is good/explosive/exciting/everything....In New Orleans...I really think this is who they were after but the contract demands got so out of hand that they then switched focus to Mario
                  Please. The contract demands had nothing to do with Houston not taking Bush.
                  I don't think that's true. Texas balked, and thought themselves out of making the no brainer, because they didn't want to deal with the demands of Bush. You should be happy because of it.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Flyboy
                    Secondly, Reggie Bush is good/explosive/exciting/everything....In New Orleans...I really think this is who they were after but the contract demands got so out of hand that they then switched focus to Mario
                    Please. The contract demands had nothing to do with Houston not taking Bush.
                    I think it definately had something to do with it. Houston started negotiating with both Williams and Bush days before the draft. They reached terms of a deal with Williams, but didn't with Bush. But it obviously wasn't the only reason.

                    Comment


                    • totally missed this one, whoops..

                      Originally posted by San Diego Chicken
                      I believe you're putting things in rather improper context. While the ultimate goal of any team is to win a super bowl, the immediate goal for a struggling team like the Texans is respectibility. Therefore, listing off the great offensive players that didn't win super bowls is misleading and sort of propagandist - many great defensive players didn't win Super Bowls either. Even Terrell Owens has his team in the playoffs more often than not.
                      it's absolutely propagandist. but is there any difference between that and saying "reggie was a better pick because he looked really good in college"? nothing bush has done thus far in the NFL would possibly lead anyone to believe that he would've made a better pick. let's look at his effect on new orleans (you sort of allude to it): the selection of reggie bush excites new orleans. established. what kept their interest? a running back who wasn't, for most of the season, particularly good at running the ball, or the fact that the team was winning? do we then credit that winning completely to reggie, or to putting together good players and playing in a weaker conference, comparatively? do you actually think that reggie bush would've made houston a 12-4 team (even assuming you think he made new orleans a 12-4 team)? i still fail to see any reasonable argument that would lead opne to conclude that reggie or vince would've positively affected the houston win-loss sheet, which is, in the end, the most important thing to fans.

                      Going back to the specific examples, the Steelers likely don't make it out of Cincinnati without Roethlisberger. They definitely don't make it out of Indianapolis without Roethlisberger, and you should know that Roethlisberger was brilliant in the Denver win.
                      even though we've sort of moved on: i think NIP could've led the steelers to the win in denver, but sure, roethlisberger played well before the super bowl. then he played extremely poorly in the super bowl. and they still won. *shrug* it makes you wonder how much of the earlier success was on the QB.

                      The 2000 Ravens defense was an extremely rare phenomenon. That defense was so good that they really didn't need a quality QB, but they did need a solid running game. That quality of a defense comes around once every 20 years.
                      why are the ravens in the position they're in this year? weak running game. average quarterback. it's the defense, again. tampa bay's defense when they beat the raiders? it certainly wasn't the spectacular effort of brad johnson in the playoffs that year (not that he hurt them).

                      I agree that Houston needed talent across the board. They could have gone any number of directions with their first pick. Having said that, if you don't plan on trading down, why not go for the consensus best player available, especially the ones who will generate excitement around your franchise and give your fans hope?
                      he was the best defensive player on the board. he was compared favorably to some of the best DE's in the league, iirc. at the time of the draft, it was widely assumed that vince wouldn't translate to the NFL immediately, and it would've been a colossal mistake to take a player who wouldn't see the field for at least a year. getting back to hindsight, vince wasn't spectacular. he made some great plays, but highlight reels don't tend to fill seats unless they come with wins. i'm not sure vince is half that successful without travis henry. reggie bush was the best decoy in the NFL for most of the year. why teams didn't sit back and make him beat them, i'll never know. does that win a team without any talent games? who plays defensive line for the texans without williams? do they have any guys capable of playing all four positions in the scheme they'd just installed that year well? do they have anyone capable of playing ANY scheme well?

                      Comment


                      • Lets leave it at this.

                        They should have traded down if they wanted Mario Williams, they botched the pick, they know it, their fans will never forgive them.

                        And if you watched the games even in college you would know he has nowhere near the explosion Peppers has off the line.

                        Sig thanks to DieHardVikingsFan

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by ncbigbody
                          Lets leave it at this.

                          They should have traded down if they wanted Mario Williams, they botched the pick, they know it, their fans will never forgive them.

                          And if you watched the games even in college you would know he has nowhere near the explosion Peppers has off the line.
                          ahh yes, they should've just waved their hand and said "we want to trade down, why don't all the top 4 teams willing to give us equal value line up outside." oh, except that's actually mroe difficult in practice than in reality. :roll:

                          do you people ever think about the real world problems associated with these suggestions, or do you just assume that because you said it can happen, it can easily happen?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by ncbigbody
                            Lets leave it at this.

                            They should have traded down if they wanted Mario Williams, they botched the pick, they know it, their fans will never forgive them.

                            And if you watched the games even in college you would know he has nowhere near the explosion Peppers has off the line.
                            Please...

                            Everything coming from the Saints suggested that they had Mario #1. So the Texans would have traded down and lost the guy they wanted.

                            And this Peppers explosion thing is crap. Did you watch Mario? Did you see his 4.66 40 times including a amazingly fast first ten yards.

                            Comment


                            • if the Texans traded down they wouldn't have been able to draft Mario as the saints probally would have selected him.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by energizerbunny
                                if the Texans traded down they wouldn't have been able to draft Mario as the saints probally would have selected him.
                                If they traded down their only legitimate option was D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Good, but he isn't close to Williams in terms of grade.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X

                                Debug Information