No announcement yet.

HINDSIGHT 20/20 HOUSTON TEXANS Do-OVER 2006 DRAFT

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lets also not forget that it takes more time to develop as a DE than a RB (and maybe even QB) so I think Mario hasn't even reached his potential at all this season.

Comment

Added to that, Mario has been playing with an injury for the majority of the season, a foot injury which has hampered him big time.

And for anyone who brings up the VY OT TD run against Houston, take another look at that play and in the top see the immense amount of holding on Williams.

Comment

So Marion has improved the Texans more than Bush has the Saints?

Comment

Originally posted by SterlingSharpe
          So Marion has improved the Texans more than Bush has the Saints?
          That's not the question that should be asked. Would Bush have made the same impact for the Texans that he has done for the Saints? That should be the question you should ask and honestly, I think the answer is no and that is why I believe they were right in taking Williams.

Comment

Interesting... so based on these results so far, the Texans do not deserve any criticism of the pick.

I can tell you one thing: I still remember taking Tony Mandarich ahead of Barry and Deion, and Derrick Thomas. The experts at the time said Tony was so strong, that he had natural ability not seen before, but it might take time for him to dominate........

Comment

Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans will be the cornerstones of that defense for years. Williams was the right pick, maybe at the wrong spot.

Comment

Interesting... so based on these results so far, the Texans do not deserve any criticism of the pick.

I can tell you one thing: I still remember taking Tony Mandarich ahead of Barry and Deion, and Derrick Thomas. The experts at the time said Tony was so strong, that he had natural ability not seen before, but it might take time for him to dominate........
                so you're calling mario williams one of the biggest busts of all time and a steroid user? :roll: great comparison.

i remember a guy named ryan leaf. he sounds a lot like vince young.

Comment

ks_perfection wrote:
                  Quote:
                  I know some people get hung up on measurables, size, speed on the track, but if this guy didn't even dominate the ACC offensive linemen, why would you think he's gonna be another Bruce Smith or Peppers?

Fair question?
                  Results on the field are much more important that time trials.

Reggie Bush's rushing results are bad, he's averaging 3.6 yards a carry. Thats worse than most teams backups, Im pretty sure Marios sack totals arent'lower than most backups in the NFL.

That's not fair, look at the Bush as a reciever, return man etc. It's not fair to just look at him as a RB, of which he has improved as the season went on. But let's not get bogged down on Bush, this is about Williams.
                  I know its not entirely fair, but if Bush had gone to the Texans he would have been the feature back. Bush would have been forced to run alot more and had less time to be a receiver. He wouldn't have done the extra stuff he does in NO.
                  "We're only going to score 17 points?" Brady said before chuckling about it. "OK. Is Plax playing defense? I wish he had said 45-42 and gave us a little credit for scoring more points."

Comment

I will say i was shocked that Houston didn't take Bush but looking at it now Mario was the right pick. I don't think they should have taken him with the number one pick though. Mario will improve with time he may not be Peppers next year but he will improve.

If the Texans had taken Bush or Young we would all be saying how much of a bust they are.

I voted Super Mario

Comment

Originally posted by LSU Man
                      I will say i was shocked that Houston didn't take Bush but looking at it now Mario was the right pick. I don't think they should have taken him with the number one pick though. Mario will improve with time he may not be Peppers next year but he will improve.

If the Texans had taken Bush or Young we would all be saying how much of a bust they are.

I voted Super Mario
                      Superman cant be a bust, he wins wherever he goes

Comment

Originally posted by njx9

so you're calling mario williams one of the biggest busts of all time and a steroid user? :roll: great comparison.

i remember a guy named ryan leaf. he sounds a lot like vince young.

Comment

I said Mario was the right pick. It is hard to find a prospect like williams, and even though Reggie and VY may be great players, those positions area little easier to find than a great DE IMO

Originally posted by BeansDooma
                          who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

I think Bush would've been a bad pick for the Texans. He isn't what they wanted, he said as much pre-draft, they never showed interest in him. A lot of people thought that was a smoke-screen to get trade offers, until Adam Schefter reported that they actually weren't that interested in Reggie Bush. That scheme doesn't fit him, the situation wouldn't fit him. Reggie Bush is in a optimal offense for his talents in New Orleans. But if he's only averaging 3.6 YPC in New Orleans what would he be doing in Houston? Especially since he is the anti-ZBS runner. Instead of cutting back, Reggie bounces everything outside.

In hindsight, I think Vince Young should've been the pick. However, at the time, David Carr was never given a fair chance. Well before the draft they extended Carr, so Young was never a legitimate option. Although, Carr's struggles this year, despite having a better scheme and wide receivers make this look like a mistake. Had they not extended him, I think Young would've been the pick.

Mario Williams has phenomenal potential, his one weakness was he was raw. He's shown glimpses of greatness. One more training camp, the Texans adding a interior force, he will be a good one. Thus, considering Young was never an option. I think that Mario Williams fits the Texans more than Reggie Bush would have. Mario Williams, as per 1/4 of NFL teams, including the Cowboys for one, had Williams as the top overall prospect in the draft.

Comment

Oh really? Ryan Leaf could run past 11 guys on defense and score a TD?

Did Ryan ever lead his team to 6 straight wins? Actually how about 1 straight win?

Again, why was Mario only voted the 4th best defensive player in the ACC if he's so great? Do you realize that? He did not dominate in college like Julius Peppers did at UNC or Bruce Smith at Virginia Tech. This was a classic reach. Classic. Sam Bowie-like.

Comment

they should have taken maurice jones-drew 8)

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information